The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
XJustineX
Hey, I know there are a lot of similar posts but just want some advice. Basically I was originally predicted abb with the b in English Literature (the course I have applied for) so this prevented me from applying to top unis. As a result I put Kent as my firm (needed 320 points to get in). Although I really like Kent as a uni if I had known the outcome of my results I would never have chosen it. Now I don’t know whether to wait for a year and reapply to a ‘better institutions’ or stick with Kent? I was always interested in York but looking on their website it says they prefer people who have done well in foreign languages and completed an as in one, which I havn’t. I am also interested in the University of Sussex which I have heard has a very good English course.

However as I was never prepared for this outcome (results a- English Literature, A-Sociology, A- Media Studies and A As philosophy and Ethics.) I feel I am already mentally prepared for University this year and this makes me wary of taking a gap year. I also lack confidence in my abilities in English so I’m worried that I’ll lack confidence in a ‘top’ institution.

I do like Kent as an institution but I know a lot of my friends have got in with results such as cce and bcd which is quite far from the grades they asked for, which is a little disheartening when I exceeded the grades they asked for. My friends sister was in a similar situation but stuck with Kent and now she always thinks she could have done better as a lot of people got into her course with an e in the subject and she is reapplying to a different uni for her masters.

The majority of my family and friends think I should reapply. I personally wouldn’t mind still going to Kent but I’m wondering if I will regret it later on in life? Will the institution I go to really have a strong impact on my future job? Is it worth waiting another year to reapply?

Sorry to ramble on…all help would be appreciated .

xxxx

The very fact that you're contemplating this suggests that you will not be 100% comfortable with your decision to go to kent.

I was in a similar situation last year...and I thought that I couldn't go to my place (at Glamorgan) with a clear head when I hadn't applied to Bristol....(because at the time I thought there was no point). Anyways I decided I had to eliminate any worries i had, and if i didn't get in anywhere then I could always apply to Glam again....

as you can see from my sig...I am very glad I did.

And the extra year makes you grow up as well...especially if you get a job/move out. Gives you time to rest and figure out who you actually are....there is quite a big emotional difference between 18 and 19....based on myself and my friends anyways.

good luck.

:smile:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 61
Thanks everyone for your comments. I have decided to reapply sent my rejection email to Kent yesterday. I rang the unis i would consider applying to and got positive responses so thought i would give it a go. Kent is a nice uni but one of the other problems is i live very close and think going to a different uni now i have the grades will give me an opportunity to become more independent and explore a new place too :smile:. xxx
Maybe you should just stick with Kent? Because if you got AAA unexpectedly maybe it was jsut a stroke of luck ,and maybe kent would be more suitable accademically,because it's not just the final grades that count,I know someone who got AAA but went to westminister uni ,becuase they weren't an academic person their whole life and accepted that maybe it was a stroke of luck ,and knew themselves what their academic ability was otherwise they would ahve applied to Oxford in the first place.
XJustineX
now i have the grades will give me an opportunity to become more independent and explore a new place to :smile:. xxx

*too not 'to' :wink:
Reply 64
Thanks for the vote of confidence lol. As stated above i have already declined my offer from Kent anyway.x
Reply 65
Bansheeee I think that is very poor advice on the grounds that you are telling Justine essentially to lower her standards when she is clearly capable of achieving much more. As for your friend who attained AAA and went to westminster because she didn't believe in herself then good for her and I hope she's happy, but your luck theory is plain ridiculous, no one gets AAA by luck, yes they may not expect themselves to achieve such high grades but when they do they should be encouraged to push forward not to think 'oh it was a one off therefore I shouldn't aim high'. Justine, I am glad to hear you turned down Kent and plan to reapply to realise your full potential and I wish you the best of luck with your future applications.

Oh and whilst on the topic of spelling Bansheeee, 'more suitable accademically,because it's not just the final grades that count', I think you will find it's academically.
Reply 66
reapply your too good for kent and may find your sefl getting bored with the lack of challenging material.

listen if you have 3 AAA the sky is your limit
dont ruin it by putting an artificial glass ceiling
Reply 67
Maybe you can get an A in one exam with a "stroke of luck," but no-one gets 3 top A-levels by luck. Good luck with reapplying, it's the right choice. Make sure you use the year productively!
Reply 68
Thanks for the recent comments :smile: xx
slexaimons
Bansheeee I think that is very poor advice on the grounds that you are telling Justine essentially to lower her standards when she is clearly capable of achieving much more. As for your friend who attained AAA and went to westminster because she didn't believe in herself then good for her and I hope she's happy, but your luck theory is plain ridiculous, no one gets AAA by luck, .

Oh and whilst on the topic of spelling Bansheeee, 'more suitable accademically,because it's not just the final grades that count', I think you will find it's academically.

yeah but why was the AAA result so unexpected i ask myself? the person who got aaa and went to westminister was becuase she never got good grades like that in her whole time at college ,which is why she & everyone else was shocked,but it was mainly becuase she crammed everything in at the end and left most of each subject out ,but was lucky as exactly what she had studied was asked,and it was just art,media and geography.

Yes but I only got BBC

Latest

Trending

Trending