The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Internet in Endcliffe village

Does the cost of accomodation for the first year in one of the new self catered flats include the cost for internet access? or is this an additional charge?
Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All the rooms at endcliffe have internet in their rooms. The standard is wired internet but its pretty fast and the uni provides you with the cable, but in some of the converted houses it is wireless. There's also wireless in the Edge building.

In the city centre accommodation you have to pay extra, but in Endcliffe the internet is provided free of charge. :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Ah brilliant, thanks for the quick answer :smile:
Reply 3
drdimmer
Ah brilliant, thanks for the quick answer :smile:

No problem. :smile:
Reply 4
Sorry if this is slightly off the original question, but...

Are we able to connect Xbox 360s to the internet in our rooms, or do they block something like that?
Not sure how they would or anything, but would just like to know if they can or do.
Cheers.
Reply 5
lalalakia

Are we able to connect Xbox 360s to the internet in our rooms, or do they block something like that?
Not sure how they would or anything, but would just like to know if they can or do.
Cheers.

nope you can connect it fine, mate in the flat downstairs did it.
Reply 6
mtbab
nope you can connect it fine, mate in the flat downstairs did it.

Class, I can Xbox my way to failure now!
Reply 7
lalalakia

Cheers.

Yeah. In city accomodation, where internet is paid for by students, the 'gold' package includes preferential connections for Xbox 360 and PS3, guaranteeing top speeds.
Reply 8
Dionysus
Yeah. In city accomodation, where internet is paid for by students, the 'gold' package includes preferential connections for Xbox 360 and PS3, guaranteeing top speeds.

Ah cool. Im in Endcliffe, but I am sure it will good enough for a few games of Pro Evo online. :yep:
Reply 9
Does anyone know as to whether skype works regarding the internet from the endcliffe accomodation. I know some university like to restrict what programs can and cannot work on the network.
Reply 10
drdimmer
Does anyone know as to whether skype works regarding the internet from the endcliffe accomodation. I know some university like to restrict what programs can and cannot work on the network.

skype works fine too...6 out of 8 of us in my flat had it going.
Reply 11
Ooo, and also, is the internet wired in the bedrooms?
Reply 12
lalalakia
Ooo, and also, is the internet wired in the bedrooms?

yep
Reply 13
mtbab
yep

Cool, thanks alot mtbab.
Reply 14
hey i'm first year in endcliffe and cant connect to xbox live :frown: it keeps on coming up with DNS failure and im connecting straight into the wall via ethernet cable. anyone got any advice i would be most grateful...

Chrs Jon.
Reply 15
do they mind much about downloading stuff here in endcliffe?
Reply 16
I've downloaded stuff whilst being here and nobody's come and thumped on my door, so I'd say so long as you don't take the piss with it then it's okay.
Could someone in endcliffe run a test at www.speedtest.net and post the results?
I'm just a bit curious :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by jono888
hey i'm first year in endcliffe and cant connect to xbox live :frown: it keeps on coming up with DNS failure and im connecting straight into the wall via ethernet cable. anyone got any advice i would be most grateful...

Chrs Jon.

Try masking your Xbox's MAC address. Firstly find the mac address on your computer. Open the start menu type "cmd" and hit enter. Now type in "ipconfig /all". It should come up with loads of info look for "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" Copy down the Physical Address.

Now navigate to network settings on your xbox. Choose manual make sure ip address and DNS are all set to auto. There should be an option called alternate MAC address enter the address from your computer in there. Reset and you should be ready to go.

You can't use your computer and xbox on the internet at the same time if you do it this way,
Original post by fleming222

Original post by fleming222
Could someone in endcliffe run a test at www.speedtest.net and post the results?
I'm just a bit curious :smile:

Ping was 7, dl speed is 3.88Mbps and ul speed 0.2Mbps (lol)

I'm in Froggatt :smile: It does appear to vary though the internet speed -- well -- I get laggy at sometimes and not at others

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending