The Student Room Group

Pharmacy to dentistry/medicine conversion

Hi,

I heard from a friend that certain pharmacy courses allow you to transfer to medicine or dentistry after the first year. Is this true?

Also would an Mpharm increase your chances of being successful when applying to graduate entry dentistry/medicine?

Thanks.
Reply 1
I've never heard of this - simply because we don't do all the physiology that medicine courses do. I don't know if they would let you onto the course without completing pharmacy first because they would still probably only look at your A-level results unless you write to them directly.

The best thing to do is find universities that do both pharmacy and medicine/dentistry and contact the admissions people on the medicine/dentistry courses to see if you can transfer to that course after only doing one year in pharmacy.
what did you find out on this? as im thinking of doing pharmacy first due to my rejection from dentistry?!! and i dont want to do a course like biomedical i like chemistry based courses but am still interested in dentistry.
But if you can do a conversion course even better....HELP INFO NEEDED!!
As far as I'm aware no unis allow a transfer onto medicine as in the words of one "it's not fair to those who went through the application process"

And as to increasing your chances, it depends what qualification you get. A 2:2 is not going to increase your chances against a 2:1, even if it is in Pharmacy, and tbh I don't think it would really hold much advantage, especially since it's a fairly vocational degree.
Reply 4
Hmm...It may be a vocational degree..but it is a good foundation to go on into a medicine degree, especially if you do the pre-reg, no other course allows you to spend a year in a hospital enivronment interacting with patients ( other than nursing I guess)

I think its nice that you can bring your own scientific and medical knowledge into the degree, as well as the fact that we are experts in medicines...so we will have very little trouble in that part of the degree. Its better than studying biomed tbh as you cover the topics in biomed again in graduate medicine so techincally you may be prepared, but its a waste of a degree as you can't actually bring anything new from what you have studied.

Also I have hear that if you have a 2:2 in pharmacy and complete another masters or a Phd you can still apply for grad. medicine at kings.

And OP there are loads of threads on the medicine forum, I think there are 2 on there at the moment!
P.S. Sorry if I was waffle...Im a bit tired today :smile:
Reply 5
Why would anyone want to do an MPharm, pre-reg, a masters and a PhD then do medicine???????? OK its different if you go through that and then decide you want a career change but to do that just to get on a medical course????? Message to OP though- as an academic pharmacist if you dont want to do pharmacy dont apply. We dont want someone who doesnt really want to be a pharmacist, you will struggle with the course. ALso, medicine and pharmacy are totally different, we do a load of chemistry and formulation, the medics do a load of anatomy. Best advice? If you want to do medicine/dentistry and get rejected, take a year out and get more work experience. If you miss out because of A level grades, retake. Doing another degree shold be a last resort, and if you do, there are so many degrees that are more appropriate/less of a struggle/quicker than pharmacy. And for the record, no university will allow a transfer direct from pharmacy. The only way is to apply through UCAS and pass the first year, then start again, but this has financial implications if you are getting your tuition fees paid. Hate to be negative, but hope this helps.
I read a news article on the Brighton website when I was trawling it for Pharmacy information when looking at the university and found this information:

http://www.brighton.ac.uk/pharmacy/news/2009/med-school-interview.php

There obviously are terms and conditions, but for some universities there are opportunities for a swap!
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 7
just do your pharmacy degree, and do a PHD after....which is a year extra and you become a DR...SORRTEDD!!!
Hi.
I completed bachelor in pharmacy from Nepal. What should I do first to registered in UK. If you would, then please help me.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest