The Student Room Group

Can i still get into uni without a reference?

Ok here's the deal.

I want to do a photography degree and then go onto photojournalism. I got a B in photography for my final A level.

Here's the confusing part.
In my first year i got a U in photography. So my bastard teacher told me to apply for a foundation arts course when i leave college because he said there would be no point applying for uni and getting a UCAS. Then after that i would be able to go to uni. The next year, i redone practically all of my AS and done my A level and i ended up getting a B for both my AS and A level!! (Probably the most epic turn around in history)

I have only just now created my UCAS form except i can't get a reference from my teacher. So im screwed?

So i just applied for UCAS and filled in everything except i can't get a reference from my teacher. So am i screwed? Can i just call universities and see if they have any spaces left in clearing? Will they need my UCAS etc?

It's all very late as i just got back from holiday. Before i found out i got a B, i was going to do a foundation art and design course at Farnham (which is a waste of time imo).

help.
I'm sure you could get a reference, just phone your college? They can't give you a nasty one. If you didn't hav a reference, they're bound to wonder why and could think all sorts. I take it you're applying for next year? (2009)

According to UCAS,

The reference is a vital part of your application. We cannot process your application without full details of a referee and their reference unless you have agreement from your chosen universities and colleges that a reference is not required. We will not accept references from family, other relatives or friends.

If you are currently studying, or have recently left school or college, you should ask your headteacher, principal or an appropriate teacher or tutor to provide a reference. If you are applying through a school, college or centre, you will not have access to your reference. This will be completed on your behalf.
Reply 2
Guys I'm going be starting Uni Applications next month the problem is that AS results didn't go according to plan, here are my results

RS A
Computing D
Psychology C
CCNA Certification Pass << Meaning I have CCNA 1

The biggest shock cam from computing like how the ******* did i get a D I was predicted a B and in one of the module exams I landed an E The problem is that I really want to apply for kings next year to do computer Science but the thing is that, are my grades even good enough to go through the application process. I will definitely be doing some resits and boosting up my chances but i don't want to write on the application I will be doing resits beacuse i feel that it will decrease my chances. So please guys help me out here should i apply for kings or not?

And yh i checked there website and it said "candidates must have at least one full A level from Maths, Physics, Computing, Electronics or ICT" So i got computing thats what i'm relying on. But is still feel there might be somethin missing i hope computing and the rest of the subjects make up for it but what do you think of it???
Reply 3
lukems
Ok here's the deal.

I want to do a photography degree and then go onto photojournalism. I got a B in photography for my final A level.

Here's the confusing part.
In my first year i got a U in photography. So my bastard teacher told me to apply for a foundation arts course when i leave college because he said there would be no point applying for uni and getting a UCAS. Then after that i would be able to go to uni. The next year, i redone practically all of my AS and done my A level and i ended up getting a B for both my AS and A level!! (Probably the most epic turn around in history)

I have only just now created my UCAS form except i can't get a reference from my teacher. So im screwed?

So i just applied for UCAS and filled in everything except i can't get a reference from my teacher. So am i screwed? Can i just call universities and see if they have any spaces left in clearing? Will they need my UCAS etc?

It's all very late as i just got back from holiday. Before i found out i got a B, i was going to do a foundation art and design course at Farnham (which is a waste of time imo).

help.

and yh mate you can get reference from anyone that has worked with you in your photography as long as they are a suprovising adult e.g. if you worked on project outside of school they could be your reference
Reply 4
Sick Puppy
I'm sure you could get a reference, just phone your college? They can't give you a nasty one. If you didn't hav a reference, they're bound to wonder why and could think all sorts. I take it you're applying for next year? (2009)

Actually i was thinking about applying through clearing now...

Btw i just found out i can get a reference from my teacher too. I got her email off one of my friends.

Is it too late?
lukems
Actually i was thinking about applying through clearing now...

Btw i just found out i can get a reference from my teacher too. I got her email off one of my friends.

Is it too late?

Could be too late but get your clearing passport now and try! It can't hurt and if you don't get in anywhere you can apply next year. But really you've left it really late. Why have you only just decided now?! Do you know where you want to go? If you haven't really researched the unis then I'd suggest applying next year instead and take the time to research the best places for you and go to a couple of open days
Reply 6
why not go to the university , skip UCAS all together-it is allowed you know. you would be making an application the institution directly, not through UCAS and would therefvore have to complete whats known as a record of prior acceptance (RPA) instead of a ucas clearing number if offered a place.

it would be much faster, easier and cheaper than using UCAS at this stage of clearing, and time is of the essence.

Dom
Reply 7
PhysioDom
why not go to the university , skip UCAS all together-it is allowed you know. you would be making an application the institution directly, not through UCAS and would therefvore have to complete whats known as a record of prior acceptance (RPA) instead of a ucas clearing number if offered a place.

it would be much faster, easier and cheaper than using UCAS at this stage of clearing, and time is of the essence.

Dom

Most universities won't make an offer outside of ucas, might be a better idea to apply via ucas but start calling unis and explaining you don't have a clearing passport yet...

:clip:

Latest

Trending

Trending