The Student Room Group

Advice desperately needed!!

Ok, long story short I've decided quite recently that after leaving my most recent job, and at the age of 23, that I want to go to Uni. I had an 8 week spell at 18 but spent up too quickly and wasn't really mature enough to adjust. So I've recently got my funding application in and decided I wanted to do a degree that was pretty job specific (Quantity Surveying) at Salford. However, I only have 200 points from my BC @ level and E at AS and the pre-requisite is 260.

Anyway, been on to admissions about it and they have come back and said that my 200 points won't be enough as it stands and I should consider doing a HND which they will endorse and then just do years 2 and 3 of the degree afterwards so totals four years in total.

However, and this may be a little snobbish, but I feel like a HND may be a little beneath me as my A level results were based on 56% attendance and I would have done significantly better had I not been an idiot when at college. Some HND courses at other uni's only require 60 UCAS points!

What I need to know is, is it worth doing the HND, amassing an extra 5k of debt when the qualification will be superseded by the degree anyway, or is it possible for me to just do the A2 part of my ICT A level and bring it up to a C which will give me the 260 I need.

Or do I just forget Uni and get back to work?!!!!

Cheers for any advice, this is a massive crossroads in my life and I've got some big decisions to make!

Cheers

Dom
Reply 1
Maybe it would be better to redo the A2 rather then amass more debt.
Redo the A2 or do an access course.
Reply 3
no other unis offer this course, some unis might get a little desperate during clearing?
Reply 4
Well me and my girlfriend who I've just broken up with have a house together and are still living together (complicated!) so I'm not looking to move to Uni just yet although it will always be an option. I'm wondering if Salford may get softer, after all they need to fill the course don't they? Is it worth playing hardball with them/begging and if that fails go for the A2 root? Can I even do an A2 in night school or whatever as obviously I'd need to work?
Reply 5
They're unlikely to drop their offer by that much.
Lots of colleges do A2s in evening classes.
However, I'm a bit interested about this idea of an HND being "beneath you". Ok great so you got ok-ish A-levels based on not being there... So maybe you're smart enough that had you been to lessons you would have done better. But you didn't go to lessons, and presumably never learnt half the material. What's the point in you starting a degree when you haven't done the foundation work for you to understand the first year work?
Reply 6
touche Bekaboo! Although my degree has no real link to my A levels (English Lit and Business) the business stuff will be important. However, I'm fairly confident in my own ability to be able to get up to speed and have a reasonable working background behind me. Guess it's just I'm scared enough about making a commitment that'll take me up to being 27 and another year kinda worries me! Don't mean to come across as an arrogant to$$er!
Reply 7
although similar HND courses are available for people with only their GCSEs to count towards their points totals at different Uni's (Salford want 160 which I think is DD but correct me if I'm wrong)

Latest

Trending

Trending