The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

What is the internet speed?

Scroll to see replies

Ahacoh
Tbh with you , downloading things illegally via bittorrent was pretty easy for my friends and they never got banned even tho they had it on 24/7. Thats probably down to the fact that World of Warcraft uses bittorrent technology and thats the one game that isn't blocked :/

Of course they may decide to change their tactics this year and start blocking people but somehow I can't see that happening. However I'd agree that you should probably save Xbox and the like for holidays as the actual uni term goes wayyyyyy too quickly as it is :biggrin:

Well I don't think you should be encouraging people next year to download from bittorrents.
Its pretty selfish as A) 90% of people stuck to the rules and restrained from downloading illegally even though they wanted to (including me!) and B) on some days it made the internet much slower for everyone else because they just had to have the latest tracks :rolleyes:
I converted to buying music online legally while I was in halls and I have to say I haven't looked back. Its so much better quality and not that expensive if you know where to go.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Meh. It's annoyed me slightly, should be allowed to sort out my own internet connection if they are going to block things on it. At the end of the day we pay for the internet so we should be able to use it how we see fit.

Won't be able to use it during the holidays because my sister is moving into my room so will have the internet.

Suppose i'll just have to get clever. I wasn't thinking of hacking into their system, i'm guessing they have a firewall or something that blocks it. Ah well i'll just use up like 10 times more bandwith than I would if I had xbox live through video streaming etc in protest.
Using BitTorrent doesn't have to be illegal.
A lot of open source software is distributed using torrents.

I'm not sure it is even necessarily a case of Xbox Live being banned, rather a case of the way Exeter's network works. There's no practical reason why sending emails should be blocked, yet because of the way Exeter's system works I had to resort to sending emails via a web based system rather than a program on my computer for the year I was in uni accommodation.
im in a coma
Using BitTorrent doesn't have to be illegal.
A lot of open source software is distributed using torrents.

Do you seriously expect us to believe that 90% of students using torrents aren't downloading music/movies but instead innocently using it just for open source software??
Nahhhhh :o:
sophisticated
Do you seriously expect us to believe that 90% of students using torrents aren't downloading music/movies but instead innocently using it just for open source software??
Nahhhhh :o:

I don't expect you to believe anything. Not all torrent use is illegal and that point stands even if 90% of students download illegal content which is probably an understatement if anything. In fact, music files and films are about 3.5mb and 300mb each respectively, whilst if you download an open source operating system (which is likely to be popular with Computer Science types) then you are looking at 3gb instead. So illegal traffic is likely to be less demanding than legal traffic unless the student in question happens to be downloading the complete collection of lost or something.

It's like banning everyone from the roads because practically everyone drives in excess of the speed limit, even if it's only by an mph or two over the limit.
Can anyone say what their internet speed is at Lafrowda and if the blocks have been removed
Original post by BinaryJava
Can anyone say what their internet speed is at Lafrowda and if the blocks have been removed

This was 8 years ago, I'm pretty sure its fixed.

As for speed, I heard Lafrowda was maybe 15-20 Mbps, so would probably be around 10 Mbps
Original post by ASASASASASASASASASASASASA
Hey does anybody know the internet speed at Exeter/Lafrowda ?

5 megapixels
There's info here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending