The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

What is the internet speed?

Hey does anybody know the internet speed at Exeter/Lafrowda ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I never had any complaints about it - it's pretty fast :smile:
It did drop out occasionally though (i.e. at least once a term), but things may have changed since I was last in university accommodation (2006-7).
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
yeah last year it was usually pretty fast and perfect for iplayer/4OD :smile:however you won't be able to play any games apart from WoW on it.:frown:(unless they finally get around to changing it) Download wise, some people were managing to get 1MB a second but usually it was about half that. Also you'll need to pay about 70-75 quid for the year for it
Damn that's slow. Ok thanks
Reply 4
ASASASASASASASASASASASASA

1mbit is more than sufficient for anything legal :wink:
Its not bad, depending on what time you wanted to use it.
I used to stream Desperate Housewives off watchtvsitcoms site at about 12 at night because at any other time it would just take AGES!
But for regular surfing I never had a problem with it :smile:
Reply 6
10 megs.

Its called 'JANET The JANET IP Service' for some reason. Just a little titbit of absolutlely pointless info.
I wanted to know this because I play xbox live a lot and connection speed can be anything that makes or breaks a game really. 500kbps is very slow though. I mean my connections bad compared to others on a 2mb connection speed. Worries me slightly.
Reply 8
you may be out of luck anyway as XBOX live and all PC games apart from WoW were blocked last year. The IT people did say they may get around to sorting that out this year apparantly but I wouldn't hold your breath :frown:
Email clients such as Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird aren't too happy with it either.
I went for a year having to switch to web based mail every time I wanted to send an email.
Yeah my flatmate couldn't use Xbox Live last year (we were in Lafrowda)
I doubt they will have sorted it out by this year...the internet is slow enough anyway, Xbox live etc would just slow it down even more IMO.
Reply 11
ASASASASASASASASASASASASA

What are you talking about. 1MB/s is bloody fast for the typical download. University internet is usually T2 or better, which is already very fast.
Reply 12
ForAllOfThis
I wanted to know this because I play xbox live a lot and connection speed can be anything that makes or breaks a game really. 500kbps is very slow though. I mean my connections bad compared to others on a 2mb connection speed. Worries me slightly.

If you read carefully, the guy said "Download-wise, people were downloading at about 1MBps, or 500kbps sometimes". Hence, the connection must be at least T1, which is very fast. So XBOX live would work perfectly. If a university of Exeter's reputation offers a DSL or worse connection, that is a disgrace.
Reply 13
I thought a university would have industrial internet, like T1 as someone said

At home I'm on 4meg which gives me 500kbps downloads.. although Virgin just upgraded to 10mg and now getting 1mgps downloads - never have any problems on xbox live
RobbieH
If you read carefully, the guy said "Download-wise, people were downloading at about 1MBps, or 500kbps sometimes". Hence, the connection must be at least T1, which is very fast. So XBOX live would work perfectly. If a university of Exeter's reputation offers a DSL or worse connection, that is a disgrace.

Its not that the connection is too slow for Xbox live; it has been blocked by the network managers. The connection itself is fast enough, but does not allow you to connect to Xbox live. :yep:
Reply 15
Only way around it would be a VPN tunnelling service.
Reply 16
Surely if you spend all your time holed up in your room playing Xbox live then you won't be getting the best out of the university experience, so it's probably for your own good :p:
Angelil
Surely if you spend all your time holed up in your room playing Xbox live then you won't be getting the best out of the university experience, so it's probably for your own good :p:

Maybe but its nice jsut to chill out on the xbox for an hour every now and again, catch up with some friends you haven't seen for a while etc. I suppose if you dont own one or play it you wouldn't understand.

Shame its blocked, although I'm pretty sure theres going to be a way around it. If I am paying 70 pound for an internet connection at where I am living I expect to be able to use it for whatever the hell I like.

Sorry for the misread, was getting mixed signals from everyone and just jumped on the most negative answer. I don't really understand how they can block xbox live and internet games exclusively.
ForAllOfThis
Maybe but its nice jsut to chill out on the xbox for an hour every now and again, catch up with some friends you haven't seen for a while etc. I suppose if you dont own one or play it you wouldn't understand.

Shame its blocked, although I'm pretty sure theres going to be a way around it. If I am paying 70 pound for an internet connection at where I am living I expect to be able to use it for whatever the hell I like.

Sorry for the misread, was getting mixed signals from everyone and just jumped on the most negative answer. I don't really understand how they can block xbox live and internet games exclusively.

I doubt there is a way around it. They manage to block people from downloading music films illegally etc as this seriously slows down the internet for everyone else. I even had to get rid of my AVG free anti-virus software because it was blocked from updating. I'm sure they will have no problem from stopping you playing on your Xbox live :o: If you hack into the system and go against the conduct then you risk getting your internet taken off you. This is the penalty for those who break the contract and download illegally, amongst other things.

Maybe you should just accept that you'll have to save Xbox for the holidays? Can't be such a hardship :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Tbh with you , downloading things illegally via bittorrent was pretty easy for my friends and they never got banned even tho they had it on 24/7. Thats probably down to the fact that World of Warcraft uses bittorrent technology and thats the one game that isn't blocked :/

Of course they may decide to change their tactics this year and start blocking people but somehow I can't see that happening. However I'd agree that you should probably save Xbox and the like for holidays as the actual uni term goes wayyyyyy too quickly as it is :biggrin:

Quick Reply