The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Help!! Areas in Manchester...??

Hey,

Long story short, I'm looking to move to Manchester (bf will be at uni there).
We went up last week and saw one place in Fallowfield (really close to Princess st/rd/whatever), one place in Rusholme which was horrible and we immediately ruled out lol, and one place in Victoria Park close-ish to Plymouth Grove.

Please, please help us decide what to do! Read some horror stories/news about a drive by close to the place in Fallowfield which has put us off.. but the room is perfect (king size bed, tv, sofa and nice size £280/month including bills). Thing is the price is so low, I'm wondering if that's for a reason! Walked round and didn't seem like a rough area at all, just kids playing in the street and stuff. But it looks horribly close to Moss Side, and we're both a bit worried.. don't wanna be paranoid about walking around in the dark etc especially coming up to winter.

The other place in Victoria Park looked like it was quite quiet and nice.. Room was ok, more expensive (£300+bills). Nothing special about it really neighbours looked cool/young.. But my bf said that he read that there was still crime there.

Obviously there's gonna be crime everywhere, but I'd rather pay a bit more and feel safer especially at night.. I'll be working so will be coming home at like 6ish.. and at winter it'll be super dark by then :frown:

Please help! Any advice would be good.. I mean Fallowfield is supposedly filled with students but the landlady there said herself there weren't many round the house and it was mainly families..

I really don't know where to go from here.. Whether to try and find some more places and send him up next week (ew @ expensive train fare) or just settle for Fallowfield/Victoria Park...
Reply 1
TBH the areas arent that bad as long as you dont walk around with your iphone + ipod + laptop etc. hanging off you. My grandparents live in Broughton which is supposed to be rough, never had any problems.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
rakata
Hey,

Long story short, I'm looking to move to Manchester (bf will be at uni there).
We went up last week and saw one place in Fallowfield (really close to Princess st/rd/whatever), one place in Rusholme which was horrible and we immediately ruled out lol, and one place in Victoria Park close-ish to Plymouth Grove.

Okay, fair enough to rule Rusholme out. We lived their last year, but we found a gorgeous house. there are some horrible ones (we saw a LOT) but it's not a bad place.

Please, please help us decide what to do! Read some horror stories/news about a drive by close to the place in Fallowfield which has put us off.. but the room is perfect (king size bed, tv, sofa and nice size £280/month including bills). Thing is the price is so low, I'm wondering if that's for a reason! Walked round and didn't seem like a rough area at all, just kids playing in the street and stuff. But it looks horribly close to Moss Side, and we're both a bit worried.. don't wanna be paranoid about walking around in the dark etc especially coming up to winter.

Fallowfield is one of the busiest places in Manchester. In term time it is full of students. That price is normal, not low. Low is £200 a month, in rusholme (student wise).
It's not close to Moss Side realistically, and even if it was MOSS SIDE IS NOT THAT BAD. If you go LOOKING for trouble, you're going to find it. But in moss side the trouble is all between rival gangs, not aimed at random students on the street. What road was your house on?

The other place in Victoria Park looked like it was quite quiet and nice.. Room was ok, more expensive (£300+bills). Nothing special about it really neighbours looked cool/young.. But my bf said that he read that there was still crime there.

Obviously there's gonna be crime everywhere, but I'd rather pay a bit more and feel safer especially at night.. I'll be working so will be coming home at like 6ish.. and at winter it'll be super dark by then :frown:

Jeez... you are going to get crime ANYWHERE. Victoria Park still has it. In one sense, it might have less because it's a slightly quieter area, and on the other hand it might have more because it's a quiter area, so there's less people around to deter thieves.

People seem to think they are automatically going to get mugged, robbed or raped as soon as they come to Manchester, but as long as you're not stupid about things, chances are you'll be fine.

Please help! Any advice would be good.. I mean Fallowfield is supposedly filled with students but the landlady there said herself there weren't many round the house and it was mainly families..

I really don't know where to go from here.. Whether to try and find some more places and send him up next week (ew @ expensive train fare) or just settle for Fallowfield/Victoria Park...

Sorry if I've sounded a bit harsh in this post, but people seem to make Manchester out to be AWFUL, and sure, if you go living in Longsight or Gorton and go making trouble for yourself, you are going to find it. But if you're sensible about things (not leaving windows open, not walking alone down dark streets at 2am) then you will actually be fine.
Most of the student crime is just opportunists (people seeing as open ground floor window, hopping in and taking the laptop), not violent crime. And anyway, if you get content insurance for like £50, you're protected against that anyway.

I'm in my third year living here and have had nothing happen to me, and neither has a single one of my friends. We just do things like getting the night bus home together, then getting a taxi to each others houses, it only costs and extra like £2 and it's much better than walking home alone. And if one does get a taxi alone, staying on the phone to them til they're inside, etc etc. By doing this we're not thinking anything would happen, but just ensuring it doesn't.
Reply 3
PoisonDonna
Okay, fair enough to rule Rusholme out. We lived their last year, but we found a gorgeous house. there are some horrible ones (we saw a LOT) but it's not a bad place.

Fallowfield is one of the busiest places in Manchester. In term time it is full of students. That price is normal, not low. Low is £200 a month, in rusholme (student wise).
It's not close to Moss Side realistically, and even if it was MOSS SIDE IS NOT THAT BAD. If you go LOOKING for trouble, you're going to find it. But in moss side the trouble is all between rival gangs, not aimed at random students on the street. What road was your house on?

Jeez... you are going to get crime ANYWHERE. Victoria Park still has it. In one sense, it might have less because it's a slightly quieter area, and on the other hand it might have more because it's a quiter area, so there's less people around to deter thieves.

People seem to think they are automatically going to get mugged, robbed or raped as soon as they come to Manchester, but as long as you're not stupid about things, chances are you'll be fine.

Sorry if I've sounded a bit harsh in this post, but people seem to make Manchester out to be AWFUL, and sure, if you go living in Longsight or Gorton and go making trouble for yourself, you are going to find it. But if you're sensible about things (not leaving windows open, not walking alone down dark streets at 2am) then you will actually be fine.
Most of the student crime is just opportunists (people seeing as open ground floor window, hopping in and taking the laptop), not violent crime. And anyway, if you get content insurance for like £50, you're protected against that anyway.

I'm in my third year living here and have had nothing happen to me, and neither has a single one of my friends. We just do things like getting the night bus home together, then getting a taxi to each others houses, it only costs and extra like £2 and it's much better than walking home alone. And if one does get a taxi alone, staying on the phone to them til they're inside, etc etc. By doing this we're not thinking anything would happen, but just ensuring it doesn't.

Thanks for your post.. I know that there's crime everywhere, like I said, but everyone makes out like Manch is loads unsafe and it's made me kinda nervous to go. I don't know much better, I've only spent a day there in my life! The house in Fallowfield is just off Platt Lane, really really close to Princess St.
Fallowfields is amazing!
Like PoisonDonna said, you will get crime everywhere and it's not violent crime in Fallowfields, so you should be fine if you are just careful with possessions. :smile:
rakata
Thanks for your post.. I know that there's crime everywhere, like I said, but everyone makes out like Manch is loads unsafe and it's made me kinda nervous to go. I don't know much better, I've only spent a day there in my life! The house in Fallowfield is just off Platt Lane, really really close to Princess St.

Yeah, it's not really something you can listen to other people about, it's all about how comfortable you feel there. People love to make Manchester out to be awful, and it's true that if you go looking for it, you will find it, but as a student it's all opportunist crime, not violent crimes.

Don't let it put you off Manchester, it's a wonderful city :smile:

The place in Fallowfield would be fine, Platt Lane is fairly busy so relatively safe (I assumed you meant Princess Road, not street, so it's the further end of fallow).
Reply 6
PoisonDonna
Yeah, it's not really something you can listen to other people about, it's all about how comfortable you feel there. People love to make Manchester out to be awful, and it's true that if you go looking for it, you will find it, but as a student it's all opportunist crime, not violent crimes.

Don't let it put you off Manchester, it's a wonderful city :smile:

The place in Fallowfield would be fine, Platt Lane is fairly busy so relatively safe (I assumed you meant Princess Road, not street, so it's the further end of fallow).

lol yeah my bad :P
yeah whenever we say stuff about going to manchester everyone's always like :eek3:
lol
To be brutally honest, no white person has been shot in Moss Side for a long time. And Manchester generally is pretty safe despite what the tabloids might say; I've never had any trouble in 19 years of living in the area.
Ive had a drive by shooting 50m from my house in a nicer area than fallowfield. Its is just luck of the draw.
Reply 9
How is the area near Grafton Street and Hyde Grove, off Plymouth/Upper Brook St ?
Is it fairly safe?
Reply 10
jismith1989
To be brutally honest, no white person has been shot in Moss Side for a long time. And Manchester generally is pretty safe despite what the tabloids might say; I've never had any trouble in 19 years of living in the area.

My boyfriend's black =/
But yeah, I'm sure it's not all as bad as the news etc says it is.
I just heard about a black guy who got shot getting a takeaway and it ended up being a case of mistaken identity.. That would be my worst nightmare :frown: (to happen to my bf i mean)
rakata

I just heard about a black guy who got shot getting a takeaway and it ended up being a case of mistaken identity.. That would be my worst nightmare :frown: (to happen to my bf i mean)

I knew that guy..
Lapis lazuli
Ive had a drive by shooting 50m from my house in a nicer area than fallowfield. Its is just luck of the draw.

Nicer? Like Didsbury?
naivesincerity
Nicer? Like Didsbury?

Not didsbury no, but nicer than the student infested fallowfield.
jismith1989

Looks like am more likely to get shot then lol
Arsenalforev
Looks like am more likely to get shot then lol

:tongue: Ah, whatever race you are, as long as you don't involve yourself in trouble, you're very unlikely to come to harm. Most of the violence which has occurred, and it's by no means a regular occurrence, has been gang related etc.
I've lived in a really grotty area of Bolton for 20 years called Farnworth, but this year I'm moving to Ladybarn Lane in Fallowfield - and believe me it looks a lot nicer and safer with the amount of like-minded students around. There's a chance of trouble anywhere, but there's a reason Fallowfield is so popular, it seems to be a happy medium. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Latest

Trending

Trending