The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Nutford House

Anybody else going to be there?

Does anyone have any information or first hand experience about it? i.e. what are the rules about visitors, how safe would it be to walk back after a night out, what's it like sharing toilets with 10 people? :tongue:

I'd really appreciate any information!

Scroll to see replies

Is that the one near marble arch? I went there once and it seemed pretty nice, but the room was very small (apparently it was the smallest room n the hall though). Apart from the location (i.e. distance from UCL) it seems very nice :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Yes, it is.

I was a bit put off by the distance, but I think it'd be nice to walk to UCL every day :smile: I'd hate to become super lazy. The only thing that worries me is getting back from nights out that are closer to the university, as I'm guessing taxi's are out of the question, & my family would kill me if I walked back by myself :tongue: I'm sure I'll figure all that out when I get there though.

No matter how small the room may be, it'll still be bigger than the room I have at home, heh. I have to have a child's single bed because an adult sized bed doesn't fit in my room ¬__¬
maxineashleigh
Yes, it is.

I was a bit put off by the distance, but I think it'd be nice to walk to UCL every day :smile: I'd hate to become super lazy. The only thing that worries me is getting back from nights out that are closer to the university, as I'm guessing taxi's are out of the question, & my family would kill me if I walked back by myself :tongue: I'm sure I'll figure all that out when I get there though.

No matter how small the room may be, it'll still be bigger than the room I have at home, heh. I have to have a child's single bed because an adult sized bed doesn't fit in my room ¬__¬

Most people take buses as taxis are expensive. There's a bus that goes from UCL to nutford house (not exactly, but near enough) and I think it's 24hr. Not sure, though.

Also you'll probably make some great friends in halls so you'll be able to walk back with them, and if not you have a perfectly valid reason to ask a guy to walk you home :p:
Reply 4
Onearmedbandit
Most people take buses as taxis are expensive. There's a bus that goes from UCL to nutford house (not exactly, but near enough) and I think it's 24hr. Not sure, though.

Ahh, that'd be really useful. My mam has warned me that it's usually safer walking than taking a night bus, but I guess I'll learn from experience :tongue:

Onearmedbandit
Also you'll probably make some great friends in halls so you'll be able to walk back with them.

Yea, that's what I'm hoping. I'm just not too sure how many people from UCL will be there; I've heard it's populated with mostly people from Imperial College since it's so close to it. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks!

Onearmedbandit
and if not you have a perfectly valid reason to ask a guy to walk you home :p:

I'm sure my boyfriend would love that :tongue:

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it! :smile:
maxineashleigh
Ahh, that'd be really useful. My mam has warned me that it's usually safer walking than taking a night bus, but I guess I'll learn from experience :tongue:

Yea, that's what I'm hoping. I'm just not too sure how many people from UCL will be there; I've heard it's populated with mostly people from Imperial College since it's so close to it. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks!

I'm sure my boyfriend would love that :tongue:

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it! :smile:

I've never had trouble with either. I think it's probably safer to take a bus though - you're not alone on a bus. The worst that will happen is someone might try to pick your pocket... just be careful about that.
Reply 6
Onearmedbandit
I've never had trouble with either. I think it's probably safer to take a bus though - you're not alone on a bus. The worst that will happen is someone might try to pick your pocket... just be careful about that.

Yea, that makes sense. I'll keep that in mind, thanks :smile:
I've been allocated to Nutford House! Visited it the other day and it seemed nice. I'm going to be going to KCL (hmm, the word 'going' looks weird when put like that, but I guarantee it's all grammatically above board)- ok, I'll stop trespassing now... :ninja:
Reply 8
FranklyMrShankly
I've been allocated to Nutford House! Visited it the other day and it seemed nice. I'm going to be going to KCL (hmm, the word 'going' looks weird when put like that, but I guarantee it's all grammatically above board)- ok, I'll stop trespassing now... :ninja:

That's good to know :smile:

Have UoL contacted you about it yet? I still haven't heard from them.
Ive been allocated to nutford house too...seems a bit far from UCL but o well.
i cant seem to find the facebook group for nutford house, and there one for every intercollegiate hall.......
Reply 10
I got a email today said i was allocated to nutford.
everything seems fine but the distance from UCL.:frown:
anyone knows if nutford has catering facility or not? I don't need oven, but a microwave is quite nessecery
xiaoyao68
anyone knows if nutford has catering facility or not? I don't need oven, but a microwave is quite nessecery

"Kitchens: There are 7 small kitchens available where residents can prepare snacks and hot drinks. Each one is generally equipped with a fridge, microwave, electric hob, kettle and toaster. Cutlery and crockery are not provided."

I found that here: http://www.london.ac.uk/fileadmin/documents/students/student_services/accommodation/nutford_notes_07_08.pdf

I hope it's ok to keep a kettle in my room though, or my laziness won't be impressed :p:
xiaoyao68

when is the deadline to pay the deposit? coz i got told a week ago by phone that i would receive an email from nutford house but it still hasnt arrive, and i wouldnt want to lose my place...
functionalchemistry
when is the deadline to pay the deposit? coz i got told a week ago by phone that i would receive an email from nutford house but it still hasnt arrive, and i wouldnt want to lose my place...

The deadline given in my email is "no later than 5.00pm on 10 September 2008". I'm not sure if it 's the same for everybody, but you might want to call them tomorrow or something just to make sure.
maxineashleigh
The deadline given in my email is "no later than 5.00pm on 10 September 2008". I'm not sure if it 's the same for everybody, but you might want to call them tomorrow or something just to make sure.

thx! how much is it? and how are we meant to pay? How could i do it as i live abroad? thx in advance!
functionalchemistry
thx! how much is it? and how are we meant to pay? How could i do it as i live abroad? thx in advance!

"A non-returnable registration fee of £15.00."

"A deposit of £250.00 Once paid, this deposit is refundable when you leave the accommodation after any deductions to cover any sums owed to the University."

"Student Subscription: This annual fee of £ 30.00, set by the Student Society of each Hall, and must be paid in addition to the Hall Fees."

I'm not too sure what exactly the last one is, but I'm guessing we have to pay that too :frown:

I'm not sure about how to do it if you're abroad, ringing up or checking on their site would probably be the best option, so at least then you know it'll be right :smile:
Reply 16
functionalchemistry

it's simple
do you have a credit card like visa card or mastercard? all you need to do is to tell them your credit card number. that was what I did.
there was also a form enclosed in the accomodation offer post on which you can put your credit card information.
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Nutford!!!! I got my offer and accepted it today. Move up on Sunday :biggrin:
Reply 18
arisk01
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Nutford!!!! I got my offer and accepted it today. Move up on Sunday :biggrin:

I rang nutford earlier and they said they had no places available. :frown:
And_123
I rang nutford earlier and they said they had no places available. :frown:

awwww im sorry, email or fax a copy of your application form to intercollegiate halls to them :yep: you might get lucky when a room comes up. I've been ringing them for days and they havent had any so I sent my form and got a place :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending