The Student Room Group

Timetable Problems - what is the best way to do this? PLEASE HELP!

I am going into y12 in September and I am having real problems with the timetabling for my subjects. I have to tell them for certain what I am doing tomorrow and I was hoping you could help as I am not sure what the best option is...

The problem is that i want to do 5 AS subjects (and the school is happy with this) but there is only 4 blocks on the timetable. I want to do maths, further maths, geography, economics and physics.

These are my options I think and the pros and cons:

* "3 FOR 2" BLOCKING
this was suggested by the school where I do maths, further maths and physics in two blocks so I miss some of the maths lessons where it is just practice of the techniques to do physics. Someone else was meant to be doing it with me in which case I would have felt better about it but they aren't any more

+ i get to do my 5 subjects
+ i am in the further maths set with the good maths people and the seriously amazing people
- with the maths lessons it is not as though each lesson is defined on the timetable as a 'teaching' lesson or a 'practice' lesson so I would end up missing parts of either the maths or physics syllabus perhaps?
- is very complicated

* FURTHER MATHS OFF TIMETABLE
can do further maths AS in lunctimes spread over two years

+ less pressure of the addditional AS by having it spread over two years
+ have a 'normal' timetable where I am not missing lessons or anything
- not in the further maths set or with the teachers
- cannot choose to do further maths A2

* PHYSICS OFF TIMETABLE
i can do physics AS off timetable in lunchtimes over 1 year

+ have a 'normal' timetable where I am not missing lessons or anything
+ in the further maths set with amazing teachers
- considering doing physics at uni so would probably need to do it 'properly' with a broad teaching rather than a lunchtime job

The thing with the further maths is that the people doing it are taught entirely separately of people doing single maths --> so it is a very advanced class and the two teachers doing it are fantastic. I think I would really enjoy it...

I think option 1 - the 3 for 2 - is the best option if it can be made to work but otherwise option 2, even though i wouldn't be in the further maths class

How do you think I can make the 3 for 2 thing work? Could I ask for extra teaching in lunchtimes or something? Has anyone else been in a similar situation or done a similar thing? Which option do you think is the best?

Sorry it was such a long post and I really appreciate your help so thanks in advance...
Reply 1
Just don't do Economics or Geography. Even if you want to do Economics at university.
Reply 2
I'm sure you're teachers would be happy to help you out at lunchtimes but you'd have to ask them. You might find it too tough and end up dropping one after the first few weeks. Unlucky at having only 4 option blocks, there are 6 at my school!
Reply 3
IS it possible to do Maths, Further Maths , Econ and Physics?
And how come there are only 4 blocks?

And I am guessing it is a bit late to change schools.

Latest