The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

applied for a parkwood house, have been offered TYLER COURT BLOCK C

I received an unconditional offer, so was one of the first to apply for accommodation
(Assuming I would get whatever I asked for) I applied for a Parkwood house, but have been offered 'Room: 1/J TYLER COURT BLOCK C (en - suite)'
What do they think they’re doing?!
I wouldn’t mind the en -suite aspect; I’m quite vain, but I don’t want this room
If I decline this offer, would they make me another offer of accommodation (say... the one I asked for)?!

Also (in case I’m stuck with this room) some questions:
Are most TYLER COURT residents post - graduate?
Socially, how does TYLER COURT compare to elsewhere?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could i stay at the Uni in holidays?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
That seems absolutely outrageous! A Parkwood house is thousands less expensive!! CRAZINESS.

Call them - 01227766660 - keep trying, they're busy a lot of the time but it's worth it. Tell them you applied for something much cheaper because you can't afford it, and don't understand why you've been given something so different to what you ask for.

They're really helpful; just be clear and precise with the problem, and polite - you should be fine.

Most Tyler Court residents are undergrads. And socially... well, it's the same as most! You meet lots of people and you meet their people etc etc... all Kent Accommodation is good for meeting people, honestly.
Reply 3
mister
Could i stay at the Uni in holidays?

Easter and Winter holidays, yes.
Reply 4
I just rang them
Apparently I have to accept my offer (declining my current allocation is essentially declining all accommodation)
They said they’d try to change it & would let me know before the 29th
My application should have taken precedence over all conditional offers, what *****ing jokers
Reply 5
mister
I just rang them
Apparently I have to accept my offer (declining my current allocation is essentially declining all accommodation)
They said they’d try to change it & would let me know before the 29th
My application should have taken precedence over all conditional offers, what *****ing jokers

I understand where you're coming from, I was unconditional too; but please don't get too pissed off. Chances are you'll get self-catered elsewhere, somewhere that isn't so damned expensive. More people would want to be in your place anyway, so chances are there are a lot of people trying to change their accommodation in favour of en-suite right now!
Tyler C is great! It's not for post gradutes, post graduates used to stay in Tyler A. Trust me, Tyler is better than Parkwood, it's closer to campus and the rooms are alot better. You can stay at Tyler C during easter and christmas as far as I know, but you have to move out in all other places.
Reply 7
Agony Aunt
Tyler C is great! It's not for post gradutes, post graduates used to stay in Tyler A. Trust me, Tyler is better than Parkwood, it's closer to campus and the rooms are alot better.

I think it's more that with the £200 damage deposit, Tyler Court C is now over £5k... whereas Parkwood is about £3.5k.

Huuuuge difference!
katkit
I think it's more that with the £200 damage deposit, Tyler Court C is now over £5k... whereas Parkwood is about £3.5k.

Huuuuge difference!

I didn't realise it was over 5k now. When I stayed there it was £3845.
tyler court is the best place to live stay there, heh, i know who lived in your room last year
Reply 10
Agony Aunt
I didn't realise it was over 5k now. When I stayed there it was £3845.

God, I know, I saw the older prices the other day and was horrified by how much it's gone up...

Tyler Court B and C are now £4,758 now. Then the damage deposit on top makes it almost £5k, sorry, that was my mistake. ^_^

Scary stuff, isn't it? :no:
Ok found the prices

Park Wood Room in 5 bed house - £3,237.00
Room in 6 bed house - £3,549.00
En-suite rooms - £4,485.00

Tyler Court B & C en-suite room - 339 rooms £4,758.00
Reply 12
I think the OP had applied for a standard Park Wood house.

With the damage deposit on top of B and C it's almost £5k. Scaaary.
Gone up over a £1000 in two years! Wow. Yes it is very scary. I'll be paying £4368 for off campus accomodation this year, and thats a 6 bedroom house, where I have a king size bed!
Reply 14
Agony Aunt
Gone up over a £1000 in two years! Wow. Yes it is very scary. I'll be paying £4368 for off campus accomodation this year, and thats a 6 bedroom house, where I have a king size bed!

Snazzy :wink: very posh!
Reply 15
*sighs*
i know how you feel...*semi ish*
Reply 16
Yeah, I'd call up and get them to change it. Too expensive IMO.
Reply 17
mister
I received an unconditional offer, so was one of the first to apply for accommodation
(Assuming I would get whatever I asked for) I applied for a Parkwood house, but have been offered 'Room: 1/J TYLER COURT BLOCK C (en - suite)'
I wouldn’t mind the en -suite aspect; I’m quite vain, but I don’t want this room
If I decline this offer, would they make me another offer of accommodation (say... the one I asked for)?!

Hi, i've been offered a house in Park Wood, Purchas Court. Its a 6 bedroom house but I'm not happy about staying in a house. I really wanted Tyler Court C. If you'd be willing, we could try for a swap. Call the accommodation office and see what they say? What do you reckon?
Im in Tyler C.. If you applied for a Parkwood flat then I dont know if there would be any point changing. Theres not too much difference in the price, Tyler is on campus and the rooms are bigger. But if you applied for a parkwood house I would see you issue.
Although in the application thing I swear you couldnt pick between Tyler B/C and Parkwood?! Like you had to apply to both and you were just allocated unless you sent them and email especially.. Am I wrong?!
If it helps I know one of the boys in that flat and hes really cool =] [Its an all boys flat, I dont know if thats a good or bad thing for you]. And I would come visit cos Im only a few floors up!
xx
Reply 19
mister

Room 1/J is what i've been allocated and confirmed! I do hope you swapped, otherwise we're gonna be pretty crowded for the next year! :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending