The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

westlake
518? that's a pretty high A isn't it??

Not reallly, i don't think
There is also a competition problem. If schools get the impression that AQA, for example, is a softer option than Edexcel or OCR, then they will switch to them in droves. This would reduce the income of the other awarding bodies so they are all very keen to make sure they do not allow themselves to be perceived as any more difficult than any of the others.
Reply 62
true that ^^
Reply 63
Mr M
There is also a competition problem. If schools get the impression that AQA, for example, is a softer option than Edexcel or OCR, then they will switch to them in droves. This would reduce the income of the other awarding bodies so they are all very keen to make sure they do not allow themselves to be perceived as any more difficult than any of the others.

I said this to my mum and she said that they wouldn't be able to get away with it as some company (I forget who) checks that they are all awarding the same standard the same grades.

But then I found AQA and OCR were marked MUCH more harshly than Edexcel.. and as Edexcel are the only profit exam board..
The organisation your mum is referring to is the QCA and they couldn't organise or supervise a cake stall. I cite as evidence the magnificent job they did this year with the Key Stage 3 National Tests. The Chief Executive of the QCA, Ken Boston, is about to be hung out to dry over his part in the debacle (which included being economical with the truth in front of the Education Select Committee).

I better say that is my personal opinion and not that of thestudentroom website before they get sued!
Reply 65
Mr M
The organisation your mum are referring to is the QCA and they couldn't organise or supervise a cake stall. I cite as evidence the magnificent job they did this year with the Key Stage 3 National Tests. The Chief Executive of the QCA, Ken Boston, is about to be hung out to dry over his part in the debacle (which included being economical with the truth in front of the Education Select Committee).

I better say that is my personal opinion and not that of thestudentroom website before they get sued!

Ah yes.. them..I know who you mean. I reckon you're right on the original point anyway.
Mr M I heard a theory yesterday that the grade boundaries for a C should have been much higher ie 50%+ due to the larger amount of grade D and C questions. However as the Foundation paper was seen to be in consistency with difficulty levels of previous years they had to keep the boundaries at the traditional 70% otherwise the vast majority would have got D-U.

In light of this they couldnt have students walking in to higher tier papers getting between 50 and 60% and only coming out with Cs whilst students walked in to much easier Foundation papers, got 70% and got a C meaning the grades being issued were disproportional and inconsistent.

It all sounds far to :woo: to me and a tad far fetched but is there any chance this could be true?
This was always going to be a difficult year. The "mock" two tier papers issued by the awarding bodies had ludriciously unrealistic grade boundaries (they were not trialled or tested) and it was hard for schools to obtain firm advice on whether to enter C/D borderline students for Higher or Foundation.

The C grade boundary for Higher was always intended to be lower than 50% (just under 40% was the unofficial target). However, for Edexcel linear, it ended up at a disappointing (for them!) 33% over the two papers.

Similarly the C grade boundary for Foundation was intended to be around 75% but it ended up as 70% over the two papers.

There is a bit of truth in the theory you heard. It is all a terribly delicate balancing act.
Reply 68
I thought the edexcel grade boundaries were pretty low- I was expecting a B based on practice papers yet came out with an A* (only by 1 UMS point, but still.)
willowtree
I thought the edexcel grade boundaries were pretty low- I was expecting a B based on practice papers yet came out with an A* (only by 1 UMS point, but still.)

The official Edexcel practice papers were dire and were issued to satisfy schools who were moaning about the lack of resources. The original mock grade boundaries were wildly inaccurate. Edexcel were forced to issue new ones but they were little better. In the end, they just released a statement saying schools should not rely on the published boundaries!
Reply 70
sorry, I actually meant past papers- we took Edexcel's Higher tier papers from previous years and in most of them I got Cs and Bs.
willowtree
sorry, I actually meant past papers- we took Edexcel's Higher tier papers from previous years and in most of them I got Cs and Bs.

You did good then!

Latest