The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ChemistBoy
I'll be taking a bit of a less active role in the forum then.

Boo hiss. You wrote the Gospel of GOGSoc, it won't be the same without you. I hope you'll still lurk here occasionally and give us your insights on how much more sensible it is to be in the world of work than to be clinging like a malnourished baby monkey to the abusive and neglectful mother of the higher education system, grad-style.
wow more GOGness...
the_alba
Boo hiss. You wrote the Gospel of GOGSoc, it won't be the same without you. I hope you'll still lurk here occasionally and give us your insights on how much more sensible it is to be in the world of work than to be clinging like a malnourished baby monkey to the abusive and neglectful mother of the higher education system, grad-style.

Well mother HE hasn't been so bad to me, but bizzarely industry pays better and puts you through less crap than academia - strange world we live in.

I doubt I'll have any insights for you, unless you want to find out about turbine blades.
ChemistBoy
Well mother HE hasn't been so bad to me, but bizzarely industry pays better and puts you through less crap than academia - strange world we live in.

I doubt I'll have any insights for you, unless you want to find out about turbine blades.

Heh, the post-doc in our group just left to go into industry and is actually taking a slight pay cut, he thinks he'll have to get another job on the side (as he has 3 kids to feed and house). Fine chemicals for you :frown:
EierVonSatan
Heh, the post-doc in our group just left to go into industry and is actually taking a slight pay cut, he thinks he'll have to get another job on the side (as he has 3 kids to feed and house). Fine chemicals for you :frown:

I'm getting a job in engineering (effectively) so the pay is pretty good.
Reply 25
ChemistBoy

It hasn't been bad to me either, I'm just disenchanted...
Reply 26
Just had an email from York to say that they've confirmed my financial condition but my academic condition remains unconfirmed, despite the fact that my results were sent to the graduate office by their own English department over a month ago. I am cross
Ygraine
Just had an email from York to say that they've confirmed my financial condition but my academic condition remains unconfirmed, despite the fact that my results were sent to the graduate office by their own English department over a month ago. I am cross

I had a similar problem, in the end I had to actually went up and let them photocopy my degree...as they wouldn't accept a signed copy. If it had gotten wet or something en route, I would have gone on a killing spree.
I'm feeling depressed. Working in the office at the moment it's full of PhD candidates writing up and they're all drifting around looking immensely miserable and long-suffering, and chain-drinking cups of tea. It's slightly dampening my enthusiasm for my own! I can't wait to come across some more people that are actually still excited, rather than tainted by the knowledge of how not-fun doctorates are :p:

Also, Jacob, I have found your perfect woman. She's a doctoral candidate that wants to do Masters in critical theory, German and gender studies if she ever has the money.
Can I suggest a quick edit to include the newer members of GOGSoc who aren't on the list at the front???

Oh and Ilex, you might struggle to find the excited PhD / DPhil students!
oriel historian
Can I suggest a quick edit to include the newer members of GOGSoc who aren't on the list at the front???

Come on, there must be a few in the first fortnight!
oriel historian

I was one until I started writing my first year reoprt :frown:
IlexAquifolium
Come on, there must be a few in the first fortnight!

Ah, but you've done your masters and then face the up hill struggle of defining and refining your project once you realise the implausibility of what you originally planned. Heh. Oh and either the literature is tiny or huge... either way - you're screwed from the moment you start. :yep:
EierVonSatan
I was one until I started writing my first year reoprt :frown:

I'm just a cynic. :biggrin:
Ah, for ****'s sake. I shouldn't come here looking for a cheer up really, should I? You're all grumpier than I am!

I miss the smiley face chain. :biggrin:
IlexAquifolium
Ah, for ****'s sake. I shouldn't come here looking for a cheer up really, should I? You're all grumpier than I am!

I miss the smiley face chain. :biggrin:

:biggrin: Well, why don't we start it again. Hah. I do wish people would learn to contend with my dry sense of humour!!! :biggrin:
Reply 36
New thread? Bloody exciting stuff.
oriel historian
:biggrin: Well, why don't we start it again. Hah. I do wish people would learn to contend with my dry sense of humour!!! :biggrin:

It's not so much the fact that I'm missing the humour, it's that I know you speak the truth. :frown:

Still, proper jobs are worse. :biggrin:
IlexAquifolium
It's not so much the fact that I'm missing the humour, it's that I know you speak the truth. :frown:

Sorry Ilex. But if it's any consolation, I guess travelling the world doing this is a nice bonus prize!
IlexAquifolium

Also, Jacob, I have found your perfect woman. She's a doctoral candidate that wants to do Masters in critical theory, German and gender studies if she ever has the money.

Hot :yep:

MB

Latest

Trending

Trending