The Student Room Group
Yes, that was due to a pre reg being unsupervised and a death was caused.

Many more incidents have happened, not only that but doctors get sued a lot more.

Hence, I am hoping to go into industry and avoid patient contact alltogether.
Reply 2
but with pharmacy its all about patient contact.

What if you cant get in to industry?

Two things that are putting me off chances of prosecution and overloading of the career.

But I would like to contributr in helping the communtiy and ppl.
Theres an overload in medicine no?
Reply 4
What do you mean by overload ? Like too many people trying to become a pharmacist therefore higher competition levels to get posistions etc ?
Reply 5
The competition for pharmacy jobs and placements is healthy but you will never be out of a job.

It is true that the number of pharmacists being claimed against has increased in the last number of years but it is still very rare. Some companies tend to fear monger by telling you statistics - funnily enough they provide indemnity insurance.

Don't worry about things like this. The most likely error that will happen is a dispensing error and a patient is rarely harmed from these events as they don't take the medicine and often return to your pharmacy (or so a book told me!).
It has crossed my mind, yes, but with any job there's a chance you can mess something up. Admittedly it's more serious where medicines are involved, but that's the way it is.

I seem to remember a pharmacist telling me about some big case where someone gave out the wrong pills and got a heavy punishment, might have been with Lloyds? Can't remember all the details though. I wouldn't worry about it, or let it put you off Pharmacy. There are negatives in every career.
Reply 7
Thanks for your replies coz it was on my mind.

Latest

Trending

Trending