The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
sharp910sh
The problem with punjabi becaue your family speak it then its not a real a level, like doinf french. I would do chemistry its hard, but if you work your ass off, i mean real work then it will pay off. Go over your notes a couple times a week like 3/4 make sure you understand it. If not go to your teacher.

I would do english lit, chemistry then either it or business.

Hmm would all 4 be to much? Or mabye 4 and drop 1 after AS.
Reply 21
JAgg
Hmm would all 4 be to much? Or mabye 4 and drop 1 after AS.

4 would be good, much better i think. just drop one usually your weakest subject which isn't a "real" subject.
Reply 22
sharp910sh
The problem with punjabi becaue your family speak it then its not a real a level, like doinf french. I would do chemistry its hard, but if you work your ass off, i mean real work then it will pay off. Go over your notes a couple times a week like 3/4 make sure you understand it. If not go to your teacher.

I would do english lit, chemistry then either it or business.

Are 4 A Levels really hard? Would it just be better to stick to 3?
Reply 23
JAgg
Are 4 A Levels really hard? Would it just be better to stick to 3?

If you are prepared to work it wont be hard, I did 4 as's in ur 12 i didn't revise I was a fool, got bccd, I then dropped chem. Did some resits revised and got abb for my overal a level grade. The main thing is to work hard.
Can you tell us:
- your gcse grades?
- what subjects/your school offers?
Reply 25
peachmelba
Can you tell us:
- your gcse grades?
- what subjects/your school offers?

Ok I got my GCSE Grades today :

Maths: C
Science: BB
English Language: C
English Lit: C
Citzenship Studies: B
Religious Studies: C
ICT: AABB
Punjabi: B
Food Technology: B
Geography: E
Lesuire an Tourism: D

Subjects my school offer:

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Film Studies
Phycology
Music
History
Geogrpahy
English Lit
ICT
Business
Health & Social Care
Art
Spanish
Maths
Statistics
Socialogy
Drama
Travel & Tourism
Dance
Design Graphics
Product Design
French
The Diploma
Engineering
COnstruction
Creatove & Media
Information Technology
Society, Health and Development
Reply 26
It looks like you're good at ICT so I would say...

ICT, Business Studies and English Lit. Travel and Tourism isn't really related or respected in Law and Chemistry is apparently extremely difficult. Your choice though. Good luck whatever you choose x :smile:
Well done on passing your GCSE's.

OK, this might seem harsh but I think it's important to be realistic.

Law is an incredibly competitive area. A degree is only the first step, after that you have law college, and after that you have to find a training contract. People with all A*/As at GCSE and straight As at A level who go on to top unis can find it a struggle. Plenty of people who don't have such a strong track record do law at uni - that's maybe why 60% don't end up working in law, as you say.

With your results to date (and yes I know you can probably work harder in 6th form), frankly I think getting a job as a solicitor/barrister is out of reach. You could try a legal exec role and work your way up but even this route is increasingly competitive (look at the law forum and you'll see what I mean). Your 6th form subject choice won't make much difference, therefore.

Business/management is an very broad area rather than a career. You will probably not be looking at the fast track graduate training schemes but even so a degree is needed for most jobs. Retail is an exception, where it is possible to work your way up from Level 3 entry points.

For a career in business, choice of subject is much less important than your final results. So, you should pick the course you enjoy/in which you have most chance of success. From your results, ICT and maybe science offer the best prospects.

I hesitate to say this but the Diploma in ICT might be worth considering. It includes more practical learning that might suit someone whose GCSE results are OK but not brilliant. But it's a new qualification whose worth with employers and unis has yet to be proven. In the early days, there are also bound to be teething problems.

Sorry to ramble on, but some of the "advice" on here is not well-informed in your circumstances. Your school/college should have an advice/pre-enrolment session to help you with your choices. You could also try Connexions, though the amount of help you get can be variable.

Good luck
Reply 28
peachmelba
Well done on passing your GCSE's.

OK, this might seem harsh but I think it's important to be realistic.

Law is an incredibly competitive area. A degree is only the first step, after that you have law college, and after that you have to find a training contract. People with all A*/As at GCSE and straight As at A level who go on to top unis can find it a struggle. Plenty of people who don't have such a strong track record do law at uni - that's maybe why 60% don't end up working in law, as you say.

With your results to date (and yes I know you can probably work harder in 6th form), frankly I think getting a job as a solicitor/barrister is out of reach. You could try a legal exec role and work your way up but even this route is increasingly competitive (look at the law forum and you'll see what I mean). Your 6th form subject choice won't make much difference, therefore.

Business/management is an very broad area rather than a career. You will probably not be looking at the fast track graduate training schemes but even so a degree is needed for most jobs. Retail is an exception, where it is possible to work your way up from Level 3 entry points.

For a career in business, choice of subject is much less important than your final results. So, you should pick the course you enjoy/in which you have most chance of success. From your results, ICT and maybe science offer the best prospects.

I hesitate to say this but the Diploma in ICT might be worth considering. It includes more practical learning that might suit someone whose GCSE results are OK but not brilliant. But it's a new qualification whose worth with employers and unis has yet to be proven. In the early days, there are also bound to be teething problems.

Sorry to ramble on, but some of the "advice" on here is not well-informed in your circumstances. Your school/college should have an advice/pre-enrolment session to help you with your choices. You could also try Connexions, though the amount of help you get can be variable.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I have found a course and a Uni that I am interested in, Buisness and management at Aston however the entry requirements are ABB/AAB.. or A,A at A2 Level and A, A at AS Level. So I really need 2 make sure the subjects I do, I can achieve them grades. I was thinking about ICT,Buisness and English but the more I think about it, my GCSE English Lit grade was only a C. However I do plan on really working harder this year as I now have a goal.
Aston is very well respected for business and management. If you can get and make an offer, that will be a fantastic achievement.

Latest