The Student Room Group

Applied Ict A-level???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrITguy
It depends on your goal, if its to get a career in IT or you are planning on going to uni to study Computing etc then yes I would say that it is highly worth it. However if you are planning on taking something else as your main focus at college and beyond (uni). Then I would not take Applied ICT as I think its a bit overkill for someone who wants to do another subject area as their main focus due to the amount of work/time that you will be doing for the A level applied ict. Although I would recommend taking business or maths/science with this A level as they would be very good combinations but only if you can cope with the workload.

OK thanks I'm also taking Biology, Chemistry, and English lit with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
That maybe a little too much work for you to deal with, but then again if you can cope with it then go for it :smile:
Original post by mrITguy
That maybe a little too much work for you to deal with, but then again if you can cope with it then go for it :smile:

K thanks man btw what are planning on studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Michael_98
K thanks man btw what are planning on studying

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am currently just doing this Applied ICT course by Edxcel and will be finishing this June.

I am then planning on doing a level 3 apprenticeship.
ITS SOOOOO BORING!! Its basically business studies on a computer, just full of csw about how to make a business better using ict. If you want to do ICT, do a straight course ICT instead of Applied, its crap, and it will make you never want to look at a word document ever again! Too much boring coursework, defiantly not recommended if you are doing other coursework based subjects. I do Applied ICT along side Media Studies and Art, I love media and art, but hate Applied ICT!! Don't do it, save yourself!! :redface:
Original post by lydiaflem
ITS SOOOOO BORING!! Its basically business studies on a computer, just full of csw about how to make a business better using ict. If you want to do ICT, do a straight course ICT instead of Applied, its crap, and it will make you never want to look at a word document ever again! Too much boring coursework, defiantly not recommended if you are doing other coursework based subjects. I do Applied ICT along side Media Studies and Art, I love media and art, but hate Applied ICT!! Don't do it, save yourself!! :redface:

I've chosen it and it's under the Edexcel exam board because it's the closest thing my school has to Computing I only chose it because I was told I could do computer science with it. Also I was wondering do you get to choose some of your units? And what type of software do you use? And finally do you any type of coding, if so what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really does depend on the school. We had a choice to what we wanted to do, so we did 7,8,10, unit 10 exam is obviously so so hard but it's so worth it. I also study Media Studies and Geography along with General A2, and the coursework hand-ins are stressful but for me, who wants to do digital media it was great. It really does depend on what you're interested in. I've got an offer from Falmouth, and they weren't bothered that it was an applied subject, some do get a bit funny about it though.
Reply 47
Hey I've just done the AS, and now I'm kind of like nooo. I want to do a computer science degree at University (I want to go to Newcastle or Nottingham) and I've taken AICT, Communications and cultures and English literature does anyone know whether they'll accept that for the degree?
Original post by Libkat
Hey I've just done the AS, and now I'm kind of like nooo. I want to do a computer science degree at University (I want to go to Newcastle or Nottingham) and I've taken AICT, Communications and cultures and English literature does anyone know whether they'll accept that for the degree?

Possibly as long as your maths skills are good enough for Most unis excluding Cambridge and Oxford will take you as long as you have grade C in maths Nottingham will take u if u have a B but tbh it depends on the uni look at their requirements and check

Posted from TSR Mobile
After studying this subject for about two months and (not being condescending) as an absolute geek with computers, hardware, electronics and some programming etc this is the worst subject I'm taking on, it is boring, unmotivating and consists of (despite the 'applied') no useful content except maybe the spreadsheet/database work which is very little, as far as I know there's no programming involved and for our website portion in A2 I believe we're using Microsoft Frontpage which has been obsolete for years now. DO NOT take this on, it's a very easy yet dull subject with lots of coursework. I honestly wish I wasn't an idiot in September and went with my gut and dropped the subject, as another poster said it's basically Business Studies on a computer. I hope to do a Computer Science degree and with the lack of useful content in the subject I'm doing self-study on programming languages for prep, if I ever do the degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Michael_98
I've chosen it and it's under the Edexcel exam board because it's the closest thing my school has to Computing I only chose it because I was told I could do computer science with it. Also I was wondering do you get to choose some of your units? And what type of software do you use? And finally do you any type of coding, if so what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You made a mistake :/ Applied ICT or not, computer science is mainly math based or the theories behind computers, stuff like that. Typing vapid documents on how social media helps businesses will not help you in the slightest, such a bummer :frown:
Original post by JQLeitch
You made a mistake :/ Applied ICT or not, computer science is mainly math based or the theories behind computers, stuff like that. Typing vapid documents on how social media helps businesses will not help you in the slightest, such a bummer :frown:

It's fine I ended up leaving my school and going to another to do Btec Electronic Engineering. So I'll probably study that at Uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JQLeitch
After studying this subject for about two months and (not being condescending) as an absolute geek with computers, hardware, electronics and some programming etc this is the worst subject I'm taking on, it is boring, unmotivating and consists of (despite the 'applied') no useful content except maybe the spreadsheet/database work which is very little, as far as I know there's no programming involved and for our website portion in A2 I believe we're using Microsoft Frontpage which has been obsolete for years now. DO NOT take this on, it's a very easy yet dull subject with lots of coursework. I honestly wish I wasn't an idiot in September and went with my gut and dropped the subject, as another poster said it's basically Business Studies on a computer. I hope to do a Computer Science degree and with the lack of useful content in the subject I'm doing self-study on programming languages for prep, if I ever do the degree.

Its true that there are parts of the course that can make you feel unmotivated (doesn't that happen on every course?) but you just have to stick at it as it will be worth it (assuming your still doing the course). That being said I disagree with you on the other parts, why did you bother with taking the course when you have self studied everything/know quite a lot about the subject already? truth be told, you wouldn't have been able to enjoy any course if you know about the course content already.

The Applied ICT that I did with Edexcel included some programming which is hard to get your head around at first if you have no knowledge about it whatsoever from the start. Yes there is A LOT of coursework within the course (if you want to get high grades that is) I wrote a 8000 word essay for unit 6 which was only 1 part of the unit. It was very hard but I was well pleased when I finished it and got an A :biggrin:

The course is very good for setting you up for uni as it is a very academic but practical course if that makes sense. In the AS year I got a AB overall and then, in the A2 year I got a BB overall (as I did badly in the two exams at A2). If you think it was easy then you obviously didn't try hard enough as you would have come out with A*A* :-P

In fact the Networking exam was the hardest unit as even our tutor said that the stuff we were learning was no different from foundation degree stuff........no wonder we found it difficult lol.

Like one of the posters above said, it depends on the college and exam board. If you are looking for a challenging, fun (most of the time) and a broad range of topics in IT, then the Applied ICT is certainly for you.

Edit: I noticed that you used MS frontpage too the the website development unit. I must say that this was the only part of the course that let it down, as like you said it isn't used at all now by developers....we did have the option of using dreamweaver though however you only could used that while at college and it just wasn't possible to do the coursework in college time (to get high grades). Therefore the only alternative was to use the colleges MS frontpage (also known as MS Sharepoint Designer 2007), I feel that if they taught us HTML and CSS to create our websites it would have truely have been a GREAT GREAT course. I can see however how most students would have struggled to hand in on time if they did this.

We did learn some HTML though (it was more SEO) which was a good history lesson about SEO although it did include one or two SEO techniques that still exist :biggrin:

If you are taking this course and want to get into web development then I would strongly advise you take a Web Development course alongside this course for example taking the Btec Sub Diploma in Web Development (equivalent to 1 A level) as this will teach you html and css that is missing sadly in the Applied ICT course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 1231992
I'm aiming towards an accounting and finance degree at a decent uni and am probably taking Maths, Physics, Business + either App. ICT or Further Maths.

Hello mate, I know that was some years ago but what would you advice me as i am also aiming towards an accounting and finance. I'm studying AS Maths, Applied Business, French because I'm from french-ish country so it's an easy A-Level for me personally but I hate it so much at the moment so I wanted to do Applied ICT for A2 instead as I will gain good IT Skills such as excel, database...for future hopefully
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mrITguy
Its true that there are parts of the course that can make you feel unmotivated (doesn't that happen on every course?) but you just have to stick at it as it will be worth it (assuming your still doing the course). That being said I disagree with you on the other parts, why did you bother with taking the course when you have self studied everything/know quite a lot about the subject already? truth be told, you wouldn't have been able to enjoy any course if you know about the course content already.

The Applied ICT that I did with Edexcel included some programming which is hard to get your head around at first if you have no knowledge about it whatsoever from the start. Yes there is A LOT of coursework within the course (if you want to get high grades that is) I wrote a 8000 word essay for unit 6 which was only 1 part of the unit. It was very hard but I was well pleased when I finished it and got an A :biggrin:

The course is very good for setting you up for uni as it is a very academic but practical course if that makes sense. In the AS year I got a AB overall and then, in the A2 year I got a BB overall (as I did badly in the two exams at A2). If you think it was easy then you obviously didn't try hard enough as you would have come out with A*A* :-P

In fact the Networking exam was the hardest unit as even our tutor said that the stuff we were learning was no different from foundation degree stuff........no wonder we found it difficult lol.

Like one of the posters above said, it depends on the college and exam board. If you are looking for a challenging, fun (most of the time) and a broad range of topics in IT, then the Applied ICT is certainly for you.

Edit: I noticed that you used MS frontpage too the the website development unit. I must say that this was the only part of the course that let it down, as like you said it isn't used at all now by developers....we did have the option of using dreamweaver though however you only could used that while at college and it just wasn't possible to do the coursework in college time (to get high grades). Therefore the only alternative was to use the colleges MS frontpage (also known as MS Sharepoint Designer 2007), I feel that if they taught us HTML and CSS to create our websites it would have truely have been a GREAT GREAT course. I can see however how most students would have struggled to hand in on time if they did this.

We did learn some HTML though (it was more SEO) which was a good history lesson about SEO although it did include one or two SEO techniques that still exist :biggrin:

If you are taking this course and want to get into web development then I would strongly advise you take a Web Development course alongside this course for example taking the Btec Sub Diploma in Web Development (equivalent to 1 A level) as this will teach you html and css that is missing sadly in the Applied ICT course.

Hi, could you please tell me if I am doing the right thing by choosing Applied ICT over a subject that I already know and it's an easy A-Level for me as I'm from a French-ish country so i'm currently studying AS Level French, Maths, Applied Business and Applied ICT but next year I wanted to drop French instead as i find it boring as hell, alternatively I would like to carry on with Applied ICT and keep the other two as I am aiming towards accounting and finance for uni. So, I was thinking maybe I could gain some more IT skills such as database, excel etc..by doing Applied ICT... would it be any use at uni or in future?
PLEASE HELP ANYONE!!:s-smilie:
Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jeanny Boy
Hi, could you please tell me if I am doing the right thing by choosing Applied ICT over a subject that I already know and it's an easy A-Level for me as I'm from a French-ish country so i'm currently studying AS Level French, Maths, Applied Business and Applied ICT but next year I wanted to drop French instead as i find it boring as hell, alternatively I would like to carry on with Applied ICT and keep the other two as I am aiming towards accounting and finance for uni. So, I was thinking maybe I could gain some more IT skills such as database, excel etc..by doing Applied ICT... would it be any use at uni or in future?
PLEASE HELP ANYONE!!:s-smilie:
Thanks

Yes they are certainly good A levels to take :smile:

What subject are you thinking about taking instead?
Original post by mrITguy
Yes they are certainly good A levels to take :smile:

What subject are you thinking about taking instead?

I'm thinking about taking maths, applied business and french instead of applied ict but i find ict skills more useful than french so i wanted to drop french as i hate it so i'm really confused at the moment
Original post by Jeanny Boy
I'm thinking about taking maths, applied business and french instead of applied ict but i find ict skills more useful than french so i wanted to drop french as i hate it so i'm really confused at the moment

While learning a language is cool, Applied ICT is more useful to you. So your assumption is correct, take Applied ICT instead of french :smile:
Currently doing the A2 Units now. The course is still utter crap, still would not recommend it. Got a middle grade A in AS year. Avoid at all costs.

I would say A2 year is a little more interesting as you start to understand accessibility in relation to web development, but basically no programming, just end-user tasks. Used Dreamweaver instead of Frontpage 2003 which all my classmates used, was quite fun to learn a new software package.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending