The Student Room Group

To take lit or not...

I have to make my final decision for A level choices on Friday...I've wanted to take lit for a while but theres always been a constant bug at the back of my mind, and its been at the front of my mind for the past week...

I like reading, and plan to widen my taste in books over the next year or two along with lit (if I take it), but its just all the analysing might just annoy me, particularly sometimes if the teacher says that a certain line means such and such, and I find it to be just stupid or can't see it at all...I can imagine it just making me frustrated and will just make me do bad.
I'm likely to need 3 A's for the university I will want to go to (I don't know what yet), so I want to do well in lit.

Does anyone see where I'm coming from? Like I said I like reading, but the analysing might just ruin it for me...
I hope I don'tsound narrow minded! I did hesitate in making this thread as I thought I may get a bit of a negative response...but I thought I would anyway.
If I don't take lit, I'd be taking lang...I would prefer to take lit, I know I'd enjoy certain aspects of it more than lang...
Thanks!
I got that with Lit, I really hate Lit when it comes to analysing, but I ended up with an A and looking back on it it wasn't that bad.
Reply 2
Take it! I loved English Lit, it was probably my favourite A level.

I understand what you mean about the analysis, but then again there is no 'correct' interpretation of literature. As long as you can write a well-argued critical essay that backs up your interpretation (within reason, of course) and acknowledge other interpretations, I don't see why it should be a problem.
Yeah, but because there is no correct interpretation it makes me feel in a way that I'm just making things up for the sake of it.
But thanks, I probably will take it :biggrin:
Reply 4
That is the question.. take it, it's a great subject.
Reply 5
If you think your teacher is talking crap with the analysis tell them, my teacher always told us to tell him when he was speaking rubbish with the analysis, which admittedly was rarely.
Reply 6
Literatures the best and now I'm sad that I'm going uni and will never do it again. You can just dis-regard what you've been taught in the classroom and analyse it exactly as you see it, just as stated above. It was the easiest out of my A levels, and i did media studies as well lol.
Reply 7
Take Lit. Its more respected and you said it yourself you'll enjoy it more
I've just finished AS level English literature, and really enjoyed it.

In my experience (may be completely different for other schools, I had some good teachers) no one will insist on certain interpretations of texts, aside from the obvious (they aren't going to like you saying 'Hamlet is a brilliant comedy', for example). It was left up to me for the most part to interpret the text. It's different to GCSE in this respect, where you can get good marks from repeating the interpretation given to you by your teacher. There are marks for both your own individual interpretation, and critiquing the interpretations of others (you will have to do this in your coursework).

As long as you enjoy reading, are good at thoughtful analysis and can write fluently and coherently there is no reason you can't enjoy it and achieve highly :smile:
Reply 9
Well you say you enjoy reading and you will probably have to if you want to take Lit up at a level.

I've just finished my AS and found it a much bigger step compared to gcse's, the texts are longer and harder and I found that english alone took about half of my study time. Nevertheless, it was very enjoyable and I'm glad that I took it as I can now read books more critcally and analytically, understand them as I wouldn't have before, I've read close to 10 books in the hols and absolutely enjoyed it.

As for analysing texts as you just mentioned, it does become much tougher at A level, you have to closely look at the writer's techniques and what effects they have, it can be difficult but practice makes perfect, as the year goes along you'll find that you get better and better. Teachers are there to help, there are books out there to help, and you can always post on TSR if need be :smile:

You say you enjoy reading and writing essays, so why not? You can always drop it if it's not for you. It's certainly worth taking in my opinion and its very respected by universities.
danielharris627
I have to make my final decision for A level choices on Friday...I've wanted to take lit for a while but theres always been a constant bug at the back of my mind, and its been at the front of my mind for the past week...

I like reading, and plan to widen my taste in books over the next year or two along with lit (if I take it), but its just all the analysing might just annoy me, particularly sometimes if the teacher says that a certain line means such and such, and I find it to be just stupid or can't see it at all...I can imagine it just making me frustrated and will just make me do bad.
I'm likely to need 3 A's for the university I will want to go to (I don't know what yet), so I want to do well in lit.

Does anyone see where I'm coming from? Like I said I like reading, but the analysing might just ruin it for me...
I hope I don'tsound narrow minded! I did hesitate in making this thread as I thought I may get a bit of a negative response...but I thought I would anyway.
If I don't take lit, I'd be taking lang...I would prefer to take lit, I know I'd enjoy certain aspects of it more than lang...
Thanks!

You might find that analysing some texts actually allows you to enjoy them more - to appreciate subtle metaphors and themes, that just reading something through once wouldn't elicit. But it really depends on the texts you'll be studying. Also, a lot of 'higher-tier' universities don't accept English Language, or prefer you not to have done it as opposed to Lit.
What other subjects are you taking?
Reply 12
Your name is Daniel Harris??
Reply 13
The comment you made about your teacher saying a line means such and such, although applies at GCSE, it lessens and lessens throughout AS and A2 as your expected to make your own interpretations on texts, with a little help and influence from your teacher. Often, if your discussing in class, the teacher will play devils advocate and try and argue against you to try and force you to explain and extended why you think something means or suggests something else, but ultimately it's up to ylou to make the inerpretations or to argue against your teacher! Or at least, this is what happened in my Lit class... used to drive me crazy but I see now that it strengthened my arguments as I could argue them confidently not "this line could mean this, but maybe not".

x
Analysing text is by no means limited to your teacher's views. YOU are encouraged to explore the text and interpret the meanings, not your teacher! English lit is pretty easy if you follow the assessment objectives (I say that so often on here lol :frown:)
Reply 15
it's a great subject, even better when you do the entire thing alone.
I'm incredibly biased, as I've just finished AS English and want to do it at uni, but I'd definitely reccommend it.

I was a bit hesitant at first, because I wasn't sure I liked the fact that my opinion could be classed as wrong in an essay, but A-level is different to GCSE, you're supposed to form your own opinions (OCR AO4...), so if you like reading, definitely take it!!
Draconis
Your name is Daniel Harris??

Yep...know me? :p:

And thanks for all the help guys...I've gotten an A in it for GSCE so I'd be mad not to take it! :p:
Reply 18
danielharris627
Yep...know me? :p:

And thanks for all the help guys...I've gotten an A in it for GSCE so I'd be mad not to take it! :p:

No, but one of my favourite actresses is called Danneel Harris. :p:
Reply 19
I love books and reading so naturally A level Lit was the way to go for me, but it completly destroyed it for me. What would of been thouroughly enjoyable books, I ended up hating through over analysing them. I got a C though in my AS which is better than I hoped for seeing as I didn't turn up to most of the lessons because I couldn't stand them.
Up to you really though...
:smile:

Latest