The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

TSR Environment Awareness Society

Scroll to see replies

*steph 247*
solar power (i'm gonna overlook the global dimming outburst, partly cos I havn't done that in class! :p:)- pretty good!

not really gonna provide enough energy on it's own though. and they take up a lot of space

Stop finding flaws in my posts! It's not fair, I can't do it back because no matter how much I try to think about it, you always seem right!
One more flaw: If Global Dimming really is happening, less of the sun's energy will reach earth in a few decades, rendering solar power useless :mad:
Reply 41
bengal_tiger
i'd like to join please, i do have some questions about the environment that any one can help me with?

renewable enrgy sources how viable are they? wind power seems to not provide enough energy so nuclear is being considered but that brings its own problems, are there any realistic solution? sorry for my ignorance but what is "clean coal" as an energy source
Yes you can join :smile:

And welcome AndrewsJoseph and Steph :biggrin: :cool:

As for you question, renewable resources are those which generally come from natural sources of energy and can be renewed - generally favoured by us enviros, over non-renewable resources, such as coal, 'clean' or dirty :biggrin: However clean is slightly better. Wind power - well it depends on where you live, like for instance my best mate who studies environment science says many parts of Australia could do with wind power, others solar. Where abouts do you live?
What about wood burning powerstations? Renewable, but polluting. Then again, the carbon dioxide released was taken in by the plant in the first place. what does everyone think about this source of power?
Reply 43
AndrewsJoseph
What about wood burning powerstations? Renewable, but polluting. Then again, the carbon dioxide released was taken in by the plant in the first place. what does everyone think about this source of power?
Not so renewable, b/c of what you're using - trees. Yes, true you can plant more, but the time it takes for them to grow...

A shame really, not a fan of the idea :frown: Love the idea of wind power tho, and am pretty keen on solar power too. Wind and solar for a better Australia :smile: I'm not sure what renewable resources they use in Britain tho :confused: I know there's one European country which uses hydro? Anyway good point made there AndrewsJoseph :cool:
Can I join this society please?
Reply 45
-Sian-
Can I join this society please?
Yes :smile: Of course you can, just add it to your sig - if you've enough room :redface:

I don't now, but after all the psych exams are over, I'll hopefully have more room in my sig which will be useful.

Otherwise the only requirement is to be environmentally aware, which is a likely thing for as you study geography :biggrin:
Reply 46
count me in, danni bella :smile:
Reply 47
Just noticed that this thread isn't in the geography forums anymore... :frown:

I think it's appropriate that it's there - could some1 by any chance move it back? *Is confuzzled as why it got moved to GC* :confused:
Reply 48
me joins me me me me... one of my projects on my gap year in industry is to raise energy awareness amongst staff on my firm (machine operators...ow my lord theyre just waste of space..impossible to get the message to em..anyway..)..ye me is in me me. Ooo I also take part in a charity scheme in which we clear the local woods and things..
Reply 49
OO can I join pleese, pleese??
Reply 50
What exactly are the conditions for entry? Is simple awareness of the environment's existence enough, or do you also have to care about trees, windfarms and baby seals?
Reply 51
danni_bella83
Not so renewable, b/c of what you're using - trees. Yes, true you can plant more, but the time it takes for them to grow...

A shame really, not a fan of the idea :frown: Love the idea of wind power tho, and am pretty keen on solar power too. Wind and solar for a better Australia :smile: I'm not sure what renewable resources they use in Britain tho :confused: I know there's one European country which uses hydro? Anyway good point made there AndrewsJoseph :cool:

I think wind is a pretty good option too, specially as the UK is the winkiest country in Europe! and seeing as the turbines are not an everlasting permentant, unremovable feature, I don't think the 'but they look awful' argument has as much power as it is made out to.

Stop finding flaws in my posts!

but it's fun!! :wink:
They look shexy :p:
*steph 247*
I think wind is a pretty good option too, specially as the UK is the winkiest country in Europe! and seeing as the turbines are not an everlasting permentant, unremovable feature, I don't think the 'but they look awful' argument has as much power as it is made out to.
but it's fun!! :wink:

1. Luxembourg is smaller than the UK
2. The UK isn't a country, it's a group of united countries
3. I agree with you (!) that the argument about turbines looking awful is a bad one.

I do think, however, that in places where there is a lot of wind, houses should have their own mini-turbines. They already have something similar to this in Japan. They provide a surprizingly large amount of energy, and are quite small!
I happen to live near a nuclear powerstation, and the nearby lake is the most radioactive in Wales! You're allowed to fish there, but you're advised not to eat whatever you catch! Nuclear power is too dangerous!
danni_bella83
Just noticed that this thread isn't in the geography forums anymore... :frown:

I think it's appropriate that it's there - could some1 by any chance move it back? *Is confuzzled as why it got moved to GC* :confused:

One good thing: People are probrably more likley to join it if it's in General Chat!

By the way, as long as fast growing trees are used, and they are properly coppiced, then wood burning is renewable!
Reply 56
Ooh! I'd like to be part of this environment friendly society. Could I?
Reply 57
I want to join too !!!!!! :smile:

sleepyeba
Anyone else get really ticked off when people print off reams of paper on the laser at school, and then just leave them there? I've taken to re-using the other side of wasted paper for writing revision notes on :biggrin:

:eek: I do the same !!! I even recycle bottles and all sorts of bags.
Reply 58
*steph 247*
can be disposed of? It'll still be there in millions of years to come.
and there are the health risks for the workers.
plants are decommisioned after 20-30 yrs and cannot be built on the same spot, so there is further contamination.
there is the weapons issue.
they do not respond well to fluctuating demand.
taking water for cooling processes lowers water table lowering river levels, thus increasing pollution concentration and reducing oxygen content.
The oxygen levels are also reduced by the thermal pollution of the river which can also act as a caalyst to eutrophication.

despite this I do think nuclear will be a necessary tool in tackling the energy crisis.

btw this is really good revision for me!

Wow you know a lot about nuclear energy. What is your field of study, if you don't mind me asking?
yay im a member of something :biggrin:, back to the environmental debate, global warming? its inevitable now isnt it? we've done too much damage and now we are getting erratic weather? what if any are the solutions? and there is no consensus of renewable energy sources so are we going to continue burning fossil fuels till a) we run out of them and therefore are plastic supply also runs out , so we'l be wearing fur :mad: B) "the day after 2morro scenario" im sorry but i have little knowledge on the environment, i should have done environmental science :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending