The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Ridiculous accommodation excuses??

My friend recently graduated from York and has given me tips for how to get the accommodation you want. Apparently one of her friends wrote on his accommodation form that he needs a really good kitchen because he's vegetarian and they gave him one of the only big, proper kitchens! And another of her friends claimed that she suffered from depression and needed a room by the lake so that the ducks could cheer her up - this also worked, she got a room with a great view of the lake!

So.... any ideas for what I could write to get a room by the lake? I don't know if I dare to write something as absurd as depression that only ducks can cure... but I think it's worth a try to write something extra on the form! I can't lose anything, can I? Any ideas, no matter how bizarre? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The ducks will help with depression :biggrin: That's a golden excuse.

I didn't make any excuses on my form. I'd rather people with real reasons actually get put where they need, even if it's at my expense.
University of York
York
Reply 2
You don't want a room on the ground floor because you're religious and want to be closer to God?
Reply 3
Balth
You don't want a room on the ground floor because you're religious and want to be closer to God?

Haha, that's genius! And bizarre. Anything lake-specific?
Reply 4
MaxB
I'd rather people with real reasons actually get put where they need, even if it's at my expense.

Oh I'm sure they will do! But there's millions of rooms and you might as well try to get a nice one. York accommodation can be pretty shoddy from what I've heard.
Reply 5
i'd like a room overlooking the lake
but chances are i won't get one! maybe just write you really really really like lakes
You want to be near the lake because you're a mermaid and need to be able to swim in open water for at least 2 hours each day or your legs will dry up, go scaly and get infected which will result in you having to have them amputated
Reply 7
You're a baptist? Or an avid fisherman(/woman)? To be honest, you could just write "I want a room with a view of the lake". If there's one that fits the rest of your criteria, and insofar it's empty, they'll give it to you even if it's only so they don't have to bother finding a different room. :smile:
Make up a religon that centres around the powers of water and claim that you are a devout follower who needs to be near the lake in order to comply with your strict religious views...:biggrin:
I really really like the carpets/roof tiles/door frames in xyz :smile:
Reply 10
You have aquatic phobia and the only successful treatment so far has been a room with a view of a body of water, forcing you to confront your fear.
I sometimes get a bit hungry so want to fish from my room
this is a great early morning thread LOL!

But I think you should go with the aquatic phobia
Reply 13
"I am planning on building a nuclear reactor in my room, so I need to be near the lake to cool it down".
Reply 14
Mystic Megs
Oh I'm sure they will do! But there's millions of rooms and you might as well try to get a nice one. York accommodation can be pretty shoddy from what I've heard.

While true, if I got a really nice room with extra benefits, it'd feel like parking in a disabled spot, if you know what I mean.
I don't want to be on teh ground floor as I read a book about zombies and the people on the ground floor are the first to go.

Should I put it on my form?? I am tempted to just put in the reason box "Paranoia"
I couldn't stop laughing about the ducks and the lake :biggrin:

Say something New Age, like "I need a room by the lake because it improves my aura" or that you want to be one with the Lake God or something
Reply 17
Mystic Megs
And another of her friends claimed that she suffered from depression and needed a room by the lake so that the ducks could cheer her up - this also worked, she got a room with a great view of the lake!

let me get this straight - they gave a depressed girl a room by a large body of water? Doesn't make much sense to me.
Balth

Haha, now there's a good one! :p:

I know on the accomodation form you can put whether you want to live in a quieter part of halls or not, perhaps tie you're excuse in with this to sound genuine! :smile:
Mystic Megs
And another of her friends claimed that she suffered from depression and needed a room by the lake so that the ducks could cheer her up - this also worked, she got a room with a great view of the lake!

Haha. One of my friends did that. They put him in accommodation that he didn't like, he stuck it out for a month or so and then told them he was depressed because of it and had to move. They made him see a councellor a couple of times but he said it was worth it when he got moved to a nicer place. :p:

Latest