The Student Room Group

STIs and Smear tests - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
tis_me_lord
So basically what two STD's are the ones that can be tested via urine sample? :smile:

Chlamydia and gonorrhoea are tested via urine sample in men.

Usually if you go to a GU clinic for a 'quick test' i.e. have no symptoms, the only other STI's they will test for are HIV and Syphilis through a blood test.
Floozie
Chlamydia and gonorrhoea are tested via urine sample in men.

Usually if you go to a GU clinic for a 'quick test' i.e. have no symptoms, the only other STI's they will test for are HIV and Syphilis through a blood test.

Cool, cheers for the info - can you have Syphlis without knowing it?
In the early stages yes... then you get all sore-y and gooey, then you lose the icky symptoms and get fun brain damage instead.
emmarainbow
In the early stages yes... then you get all sore-y and gooey, then you lose the icky symptoms and get fun brain damage instead.

Well I never got sores and goo - and I haven't had sex for like, months so I'd have reached that stage by now I suspect. So overall I think its safe to say I don't have that either. :woo:

Anyway I'm 'done' in this thread, I think - thanks everybody!
That's after a few years, but never mind... :ninja:
this is probably gonna sound stupid.. but, so.. sex causes cervical cancer?? how?
Reply 66
Apparently my year (year 13) is being offered the HPV vaccine to prevent cervical cancer. I really hate needles :frown: Should I have the vaccination? I've looked on the cancer research website and apparently I'm low risk (virgin, haven't taken the pill, no history of cervical cancer). I'm also confused on how you actually catch the HPV virus, is it only through actual intercourse? I'm gay, so I probably won't be partaking much in the way of actual intercourse, could I still catch it from a girl? :woo: :confused:
I'll probably ask my doc about this as well but I'd be grateful if anyone knows more about it than I do. I'd really like to avoid having an injection unless its necessary, seeing as there is the screening system.
Apparently the HPV virus is spread from sexual contact-this doesn't just mean penetrative sex, so as a lesbian, you are still at risk. In all honesty, I would reccomend getting the jabs- I think a little needle fear is worth getting rid of the risk of cervical cancer, but obviously it's up to you. Also, while you're a virgin and not on the pill now, in a few years your circumstances might change.
I do have a massive leaflet about it kicking around somewhere from school, so if you do have any more questions, lemme know and I'll see what it says!
Reply 68
It is spread through sexual contact. Just get the jab, you're lucky to be getting it free at your age! I can't believe you're questioning it to be honest.
(Anon as parents might look at my posts) I'm 17 but not a virgin; isn't the jab just for people who haven't had sex or would it still benefit me?
Reply 70
Don't question it.
My mum got cervical cancer at the age of 25 and had "a whole load of people poking around my jaxy and staring at it". You can get it through any sexual contact, so for God's sake have the jab! Just because are low risk doesn't mean you can't help yourself out some more.
I'm annoyed that I have to pay something like £300 to get it, so count yourself lucky
Reply 71
Thanks guys, looks like I'll bite the bullet and get it done.
The only reason why I was considering not getting it was because I had the impression you could only get it through penetrative sex. Now I know otherwise I'll definitely go for it :smile:
sokissme18
this is probably gonna sound stupid.. but, so.. sex causes cervical cancer?? how?

I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that cervical cancer is caused by HPV, which you can only get through sexual contact...
You should get it done! My mum just paid A LOT of money for me to get it done privately as im over 18. It protects you from a lot of stuff like some STIs and of course some cervical cancers that you want to avoid if its gonna put your life at risk. And its more important to take it while your low risk (virgin,young etc) cos then its most effective!
Its basically just 3 jabs a few months apart. Like a second of pain for some good protection. Seriously get it done!! Can't urge people enough
im 18 wud i be too old and have to pay, also im at college not at aschool so wud have to have it done at a drs? im not a virgin and have been on the pill for 2 years, wud it still benefit me????????
Reply 75
Im 22 and not had sex would I be able to get it done? I don't understand why its only being offered to 14 year olds. On the other hand how safe is it? Is this quite a new vaccine and does it increase risks of other illness? No one can be 100% sure but you have to balance the pro's and con's I guess.
Reply 76
Teao the Cat
I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that cervical cancer is caused by HPV, which you can only get through sexual contact...

Indeed. And the earlier you start having sex, and the more sexual partners you have, the higher risk you are of contracting HPV and/or getting cervical cancer.
alio~
Im 22 and not had sex would I be able to get it done? I don't understand why its only being offered to 14 year olds. On the other hand how safe is it? Is this quite a new vaccine and does it increase risks of other illness? No one can be 100% sure but you have to balance the pro's and con's I guess.

Yes you would be able to get it done but you would have to pay to have it done privately as its only just been introduced as free to under 18s in schools. It doesnt really matter how old you are as far as im aware, its just most affective when your young and not yet sexually active :s-smilie:
Reply 78
apparently the age limit is 26...
risks = almost none i believe... but you never know.

the hpv is a cancer caused by a virus. therefore there is a cure! but there are about 100+viruses which could cause cancer... but they've narrowed it down to a couple most common ones.. just because we've had the jab, doesnt mean we arent prone to other type of viruses that cause this cancer.

but get it. according to my friend with a bunch of calculations we have 140% chance of getting one type of cancer in our lifetime.

i got my second jab 2 weeks ago.... =)
Reply 79
My mum asked the doctor about this and yes apparently it is most affective when you are young and before you are sexually active. I think its a relatively new idea and thats why not everyone is being offered it. I expect in the furture it will be avaliable for free- i hope.

I agree with everyone have it done, you never know what will happen in the future or if your circumstances are going to change. For a few seconds pain and fear i expect is nothing compared to getting cancer, then you will have to go through a lot more. I would say its definately worth it, especially as its being offered to you.

Quick Reply

Latest