The Student Room Group

STIs and Smear tests - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
alio~
Im 22 and not had sex would I be able to get it done? I don't understand why its only being offered to 14 year olds. On the other hand how safe is it? Is this quite a new vaccine and does it increase risks of other illness? No one can be 100% sure but you have to balance the pro's and con's I guess.

What would it increase your risk of?

The reason it's being offered mainly to young people is because they want herd immunity (i.e. the majority of the population being immune) and that needs to be acquired before the majority of that population becomes sexually active - hence giving it young. It would be very time consuming and costly to search out all 22 year olds in the country and ask if they're sexually active compared with the costs of going into schools and handing out the vaccine to everyone. You could ask your GP about getting the vaccine, but it wouldn't be part of the current mass vaccination programme, so you might have to pay.

Hyeree
apparently the age limit is 26...
risks = almost none i believe... but you never know.

the hpv is a cancer caused by a virus. therefore there is a cure! but there are about 100+viruses which could cause cancer... but they've narrowed it down to a couple most common ones.. just because we've had the jab, doesnt mean we arent prone to other type of viruses that cause this cancer.

The vaccine isn't really a cure. If you have cancer already the vaccine won't cure you. But it will prevent it in the future.
so is it a case of, you catch hpv off people? or being sexual with someone causes it? in a 'creates' it kind of way. i'm just confused
I'd like to have it. I'm 22 and yet to be sexually active; my mum's also had cervical cancer, so I'm definitely wanting to be as safe as possible. I don't really care that it's only be studied for 6 years; I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Reply 83
Helenia
What would it increase your risk of?

The reason it's being offered mainly to young people is because they want herd immunity (i.e. the majority of the population being immune) and that needs to be acquired before the majority of that population becomes sexually active - hence giving it young. It would be very time consuming and costly to search out all 22 year olds in the country and ask if they're sexually active compared with the costs of going into schools and handing out the vaccine to everyone. You could ask your GP about getting the vaccine, but it wouldn't be part of the current mass vaccination programme, so you might have to pay.

The vaccine isn't really a cure. If you have cancer already the vaccine won't cure you. But it will prevent it in the future.

Ah ok, I don't know about risks there's some speculation about it being harmful but it might just be gossip, don't want to put anyone off getting it though.

A bit off topic but you know those TB vaccines we all had when we were like 14/15 (where they sort of 'stamp' your arm to test your immunity and if nothing happens you are given the vaccine)? Well I had mine done just like most people but haven't got a white crater like scar like most people have:confused: Theres just nothing there but I did have the vaccine, does this mean it didn't work? Do any of you have no scar from you TB vaccination?
Reply 84
sokissme18
so is it a case of, you catch hpv off people? or being sexual with someone causes it? in a 'creates' it kind of way. i'm just confused

No, you can't make it out of nothing. But you can catch it off someone else who has it. And a lot of people in the UK have it.

alio~, I don't know if the size of scar has anything to do with how immune you are. You can get an immunity test if you're really worried but outside of certain regions (deprived areas in inner cities, mainly), the UK is very low risk for TB.

I am not aware of any evidence that the HPV vaccine causes any harm at all.
Reply 85
Helenia

lol that's what i meant.....
Keep this anon as I don't want the whole world knowing about my sexual action (or lack of!)

I'm really annoyed that only girls in year 8 are being given the vaccine against HPV, the main cause of cervical cancer.

The supposed reason is because it only works if you aren't sexually active, and I'm guessing they assume girls over the age of 13 are sexually active. I personally am 17, nearly 18, and I'm not sexually active, I've never had sex or anything, so why shouldn't I be given this vaccine to protect myself?

I just think it's really unfair.
Reply 87
can you not go to your GP and get it?
candy x

I thought that.
candy x

Well as far as I know it's only available to girls of 12 and 13, I don't think they offer it to 17 year olds. :mad:
i think if you went to your GP you would be able to get it.
and why you dont get it offered to you, it's probably a numbers thing. The number of 17/18 year olds that aren't sexually active is a lot less than those at 12. Also they would expect a lot of people to lie so they cant just ask and give it to the unactive ones.
Reply 91
Why are only young girls getting the vaccine anyway??....what about the older girls like myself....although I think you have to be young for it to be effective and I"m not that young, but still. I dont want to get cervical cancer if there is a vaccine being used!.
Reply 92
They're going to offer it to 17 and 18 year olds later on in the year. It was on tv the other morning.
chr15chr15
i think if you went to your GP you would be able to get it.
and why you dont get it offered to you, it's probably a numbers thing. The number of 17/18 year olds that aren't sexually active is a lot less than those at 12. Also they would expect a lot of people to lie so they cant just ask and give it to the unactive ones.

I guess so, but ringing up and asking is just sort of like saying, "HEY LOOK I'M A VIRGIN!" so it's a bit embarrassing really, hmmm. I know it's important though.
Reply 94
They're giving it to 17 and 18 year old girls here.
Reply 95
I was annoyeed initially as well but if you look at the vaccination schedual here: http://www.immunisation.nhs.uk/files/HPV_vaccination_schedule.pdf
If you are 17 at t he moment you should be getting it anyway.
Anonymous
I guess so, but ringing up and asking is just sort of like saying, "HEY LOOK I'M A VIRGIN!" so it's a bit embarrassing really, hmmm. I know it's important though.

woah an extreme way of looking at it!:smile:
im sure its not as uncommon as you think and tonnes of girls have done it since this HPV vaccine has been announced.
I had my first shot of it 2 days ago and I'm 17.
What if you're 18? Cos I am 18 in 2 days and won't be able to have the injection for a few weeks. Hmm.
There's a catch up program for girls in year 13, which will continue until the girls who are curently in year 8 reach 17.

I'm not sure what will happen to those not in education, but I'm guessing you can just go to your GP and ask for it. People currently over 18 can also go to their GP and ask them about.

Quick Reply

Latest