The Student Room Group

STIs and Smear tests - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm female and have a lot of unprotected anal sex with my partner. I know it's high-risk for infection transmission, so I want to get checked out but I don't even know if it's possible? My last STI test came back clear but obviously that was only testing cells from the cervix (and a blood test for HIV etc). It's possible I haven't got any infections vaginally but could have been infected anally or orally right? Will a sexual health clinic test those areas if you ask?

Any viral or bacterial infections present anally would be present vaginally if you're having both regular vaginal and anal sex with one partner. The only exception would be warts which is only diagnosed if you have any present, and I think herpes which i think is diagnosed through presence of sores.

If you're worried though, you should both go and get tested.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Any viral or bacterial infections present anally would be present vaginally if you're having both regular vaginal and anal sex with one partner. The only exception would be warts which is only diagnosed if you have any present, and I think herpes which i think is diagnosed through presence of sores.

If you're worried though, you should both go and get tested.

Thank you. That should have occurred to me I suppose! I got a little spooked by reading about anal cancer caused by HPV :/ Only thing is when we have anal sex, it's always unprotected - whereas with vaginal sex, we either use a condom or use nothing but he pulls out before he ejaculates, so I figured it's more likely I would have caught something from anal sex than vaginally.
Thank you. That should have occurred to me I suppose! I got a little spooked by reading about anal cancer caused by HPV :/ Only thing is when we have anal sex, it's always unprotected - whereas with vaginal sex, we either use a condom or use nothing but he pulls out before he ejaculates, so I figured it's more likely I would have caught something from anal sex than vaginally.

Get him tested! That will answer the question as to whether or not you have been at risk.

I wouldn't worry too much over the HPV though. The risk of you getting cancer because of it is probably not much higher than your risk of lung problems living in a world full of car fumes.
Get him tested! That will answer the question as to whether or not you have been at risk.

I wouldn't worry too much over the HPV though. The risk of you getting cancer because of it is probably not much higher than your risk of lung problems living in a world full of car fumes.

I know he should get tested, and I shouldn't be sleeping with him while he refuses to, but he works on the logic of 'If you test clean, then I must be clean' :/ He's totally confident he doesn't have anything (despite having slept with a number of women I don't want to know!) and he's my only sexual partner so he's not got anything to worry about with regards to catching anything from me, so doesn't want to bother going and getting tested. Not good I know!
I know he should get tested, and I shouldn't be sleeping with him while he refuses to, but he works on the logic of 'If you test clean, then I must be clean' :/ He's totally confident he doesn't have anything (despite having slept with a number of women I don't want to know!) and he's my only sexual partner so he's not got anything to worry about with regards to catching anything from me, so doesn't want to bother going and getting tested. Not good I know!

If you refused sex until he got tested I bet he'd change his mind pretty quick.
If you refused sex until he got tested I bet he'd change his mind pretty quick.

Agree with this. If your sexual partner is not willing to get tested for you then to be honest I would say he is definitely not someone you would really want to be having sex with. If he's got nothing to hide then what's the big deal, it's just being sensible from your perspective and helping to keep you both safe. I would absolutely never have sex with somebody who refused to get tested beforehand, likewise if somebody asked me to get tested I would be perfectly happy to do so - I have only ever been with one person, my current partner, and he is the same so we didn't have this problem but if I ever had any doubt I would have asked him and I know he would definitely have done it without hesitation. It's the sensible, mature, safe thing to do and I really am concerned that you're potentially putting yourself at risk by sleeping with someone who clearly does not respect you enough to even get himself tested even if it's just for your peace of mind.
Hi, I'm 16, currently a virgin and interested in getting the Gardasil vaccine.

I'm gay, and whilst I don't plan on being promiscuous, I understand that people can get HPV and genital warts if they only have one sexual partner in their lifetimes. I'm wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth getting the vaccination? It's about £540 for all three doses so I am considering waiting until I am at university and then getting a loan from the bank or a credit card and promptly paying the amount off over a period of about a year. When you think about it, over a year it's the equivalent of an expensive phone contract. I certainly wouldn't want to be asking my parents for the money anyway, since firstly, they don't have those sorts of funds and secondly, they would be extremely uncomfortable with the thought of it.

I also want to know if people think the vaccine is safe. All medications/ treatments have side effects, I suppose.

So: Is it worth the money? Will it be a good idea? Is it worth it?

I know nothing about this at all but please, please speak to your GP or a sexual health nurse before making any decision. They will likely be much more useful with regards to your questions than anybody on this forum.
Hi, I had unprotected sex the other day and just wanna get seen by someone (first time I've had unprotected, stupid of me I know) so just to be safe I thought I'd get checked.
Will it just be a swab I'd have to do myself and give it to them? And would they text me the results as I will be getting the test done at uni and I will be going home a couple days later and would rather do it at uni because I'd more than likely bump into someone I know back at home.
I'm reading about these smear tests, I don't really want to do one as I was given the vaccine years ago and all i want to get myself checked out for is just incase I've caught an STI?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 1088
Hi, I had unprotected sex the other day and just wanna get seen by someone (first time I've had unprotected, stupid of me I know) so just to be safe I thought I'd get checked.
Will it just be a swab I'd have to do myself and give it to them? And would they text me the results as I will be getting the test done at uni and I will be going home a couple days later and would rather do it at uni because I'd more than likely bump into someone I know back at home.
I'm reading about these smear tests, I don't really want to do one as I was given the vaccine years ago and all i want to get myself checked out for is just incase I've caught an STI?

Thanks for your help :smile:

If it was only the other day it's probably too soon to be tested, as you need a few weeks for things to show up.

A smear test doesn't check for stis and you're unlikely to get one if you're under 25. So you don't need to worry about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
If it was only the other day it's probably too soon to be tested, as you need a few weeks for things to show up.

A smear test doesn't check for stis and you're unlikely to get one if you're under 25. So you don't need to worry about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great thanks for your help :smile:

I really hope I'm worrying about nothing (touch wood)
Do you have any ideas when is a good time to get checked out then? It was a week ago last Saturday I had unprotected sex
Great thanks for your help :smile:

I really hope I'm worrying about nothing (touch wood)
Do you have any ideas when is a good time to get checked out then? It was a week ago last Saturday I had unprotected sex

Its best to wait at least 2 weeks.
Hiv doesnt show up so you'll be asked to back in a few more weeks if you also wanted tested for that.
As for the test if you have symptoms you can be examined by the nurse / doctor.
However if you don't it will more than likely be a swab you can do yourself in the toilet. The health practioner will also swab your throat if you want that tested. And if you want to have your anal region tested you can also swab there or they will.
Best of luck. And even if you are having safe sex, there is nothing wrong with going on a regular basis to get tested.
People shouldnt see it as any different than going for an eye test. After all it is your health, nobody else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Its best to wait at least 2 weeks.
Hiv doesnt show up so you'll be asked to back in a few more weeks if you also wanted tested for that.
As for the test if you have symptoms you can be examined by the nurse / doctor.
However if you don't it will more than likely be a swab you can do yourself in the toilet. The health practioner will also swab your throat if you want that tested. And if you want to have your anal region tested you can also swab there or they will.
Best of luck. And even if you are having safe sex, there is nothing wrong with going on a regular basis to get tested.
People shouldnt see it as any different than going for an eye test. After all it is your health, nobody else's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, yeah I think I'll have to wait a week then but for my own peace of mind I'll get checked out!
Reply 1092
I have spots on my vagina and I'm worried that I have an sti

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone from experience tell me whether you can get a swab test (not the chlamydia/gonorrhoea one, just a general for other things too) while on your period? Non-heavy but a period nonetheless.

In theory it shouldn't affect the results (?) but I don't know if its an actual rule to wait until it's over.
Can anyone from experience tell me whether you can get a swab test (not the chlamydia/gonorrhoea one, just a general for other things too) while on your period? Non-heavy but a period nonetheless.

In theory it shouldn't affect the results (?) but I don't know if its an actual rule to wait until it's over.

I've never heard of anyone allowing this, from my knowledge and experience, you have to be off your period as it could affect the results (it "dilutes the sample" I suppose - I think they also check for traces of blood that shouldn't be there, and if you're on your period they won't be able to tell if it should or shouldnt be there)
Hey I need some advice here. I'm 26 and have been putting off getting a smear since i was 20 (start then in Wales). So I'm long overdue. I'm just too terrified to go. I've heard it's painful/uncomfortable but I'm guessing that's for 'normal' women. I suffer from pain during sex and often bleed a little bit, basically feels like I'm being stretched too far. I'm so scared of the instrument they insert as even putting two fingers inside me is painful.. How are they ever going to get that in?! I'm worried they won't take my concerns seriously and just tell me to relax and stop fussing. I really want a test but I'm too scared.. Is there any way I can request a smaller instrument or to insert it myself? Or get it done privately under anesthesia?
Hey I need some advice here. I'm 26 and have been putting off getting a smear since i was 20 (start then in Wales). So I'm long overdue. I'm just too terrified to go. I've heard it's painful/uncomfortable but I'm guessing that's for 'normal' women. I suffer from pain during sex and often bleed a little bit, basically feels like I'm being stretched too far. I'm so scared of the instrument they insert as even putting two fingers inside me is painful.. How are they ever going to get that in?! I'm worried they won't take my concerns seriously and just tell me to relax and stop fussing. I really want a test but I'm too scared.. Is there any way I can request a smaller instrument or to insert it myself? Or get it done privately under anesthesia?

You can arrange to see the nurse who does the procedure before actually having it done and talk about your concerns. Its worth doing, it might also be worth them having a look because they might be able to see a physical reason why you're having problems with sex (such as a thick hymen that won't stretch properly)

they can at your request use a smaller speculum used for children. Plastic speculums are much less uncomfortable than metal ones, and they will use lube to ease it in.

It almost certainly will be a bit uncomfortable as they scrape cells from the cervix, but its worth getting the check as it will be far less uncomfortable than treament for any problems left too long because you avoided the test, and as I said, they might be able to help you with the problems you have with pain and bleeding during sex.
You can arrange to see the nurse who does the procedure before actually having it done and talk about your concerns. Its worth doing, it might also be worth them having a look because they might be able to see a physical reason why you're having problems with sex (such as a thick hymen that won't stretch properly)

they can at your request use a smaller speculum used for children. Plastic speculums are much less uncomfortable than metal ones, and they will use lube to ease it in.

It almost certainly will be a bit uncomfortable as they scrape cells from the cervix, but its worth getting the check as it will be far less uncomfortable than treament for any problems left too long because you avoided the test, and as I said, they might be able to help you with the problems you have with pain and bleeding during sex.

Ok thanks, what should I say though? Just can I have an appointment with a nurse? Do I have to say what it's about? I don't want to say exactly what it is over the phone.. And i don't think I'd be able to get 2 days off work to have two appointments. Do you think I could get valium or something? The thought of having it done just scares me so much, it's taken me years to actually not be scared of having sex and this is just going to take me back to square 1.
Ok thanks, what should I say though? Just can I have an appointment with a nurse? Do I have to say what it's about? I don't want to say exactly what it is over the phone.. And i don't think I'd be able to get 2 days off work to have two appointments. Do you think I could get valium or something? The thought of having it done just scares me so much, it's taken me years to actually not be scared of having sex and this is just going to take me back to square 1.

Your employer has to give you time off for medical appointments, and even if you couldn't find an appointment outside of working hours, it shouldnt mean you taking a whole day off, just starting your shift a bit later or finishing a bit earlier or perhaps having an extended lunch.

It depends on the surgery really, you should in theory be able to speak to them over the phone (ask to speak to the person who does smear tests or have them ring back)

When you call up, you will have to say you need an appointment for a smear so the appointment is made with the right person. I know it might seem embarrasing, but this is a standard procedure which I'm sure they have appointments for every day, the receptionist won't bat an eyelid at you calling for this.

If you were going to take valium or something you'd need yet another appointment with a doctor who would have to approve and prescribe it... It might not work and it will mean you have more time to worry more about it. its probably best to just get it over and done with. A double appointment or talking to the nurse over the phone before the smear appointment would probably be a good idea. (though seeing a doctor might be a good idea if you always have pain during sex so the cause can be found and treated)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I'm really scared right now so I could do with some help! just over a week ago I had unprotected sex with this guy. Thursday I noticed my Vagina started hurting and today it's really painful and itchy, I think it has swollen and has spots! Sorry to be so descriptive but I'm terrified I have herpes...I want to know is it possible it's something else...
I'm getting checked out Monday but I don't know who to tell, I am feeling very alone and worried.

Quick Reply

Latest