The Student Room Group

mitosis

hey, i'm kinda stuck on a few questions......if ne1 cud help, wud be v.grateful

1) theres a table showing the number of cells seen to be in each of the phases of mitosis in a cross-section through the root tip of an onion.
why are so few cells seen to be in anaphase?

2) during mitosis we say that centrioles move to the 'poles' of the cell and that chromosomes line up along the 'equator'. why do we use terms like 'poles' and 'equator' to describe positions in a cell?

3) when scientists want to observe an organism's chromosomes they add a chemical called colchine to a sample of cells from the organism that are about to go through mitosis. colchine inhibits the formation of spindle fibres. why is it useful to add colchine to mitotically dividing cells if you want to observe chromosomes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hmmm, interesting questions. I can't be very helpful about the poles and equator question other than to say that it gives a clear indication of where the chromosomes are; when they line up 'at the equator' they're across the middle of the cell; and the 'poles' indicate that they're at either side, separated as much as possible. Dunno what else to say about that :confused:

Your third question is easiest to answer I think. Firstly they add colchine to mitotically dividing cells because during mitosis the chromosomes are condensed and so you can see them. The reason they add colchine, to prevent the formation of spindle fibres, is presumably to stop the chromosomes from migrating across the cell so that you can examine them properly. It'd be a right pain to have to try to examine moving chromosomes!

In anaphase perhaps there are fewer cells to be seen because the cells expand a bit? I'm really not sure, sorry - my brain isn't working properly this evening!
Reply 2
MadNatSci
Your third question is easiest to answer I think. Firstly they add colchine to mitotically dividing cells because during mitosis the chromosomes are condensed and so you can see them. The reason they add colchine, to prevent the formation of spindle fibres, is presumably to stop the chromosomes from migrating across the cell so that you can examine them properly. It'd be a right pain to have to try to examine moving chromosomes!

In anaphase perhaps there are fewer cells to be seen because the cells expand a bit? I'm really not sure, sorry - my brain isn't working properly this evening!

Hi, MNS, do you know how fast the chromosomes migrate? Would it be seen under a light microscope? Or would oyu have to speed it up for the action to be discernible?

My reasoning for anaphase being less discerened, is perhaps that anaphase's time slice is very limited in a mitotic cell cycle, thus we see a less proportion of them in a staining prodecure.
Reply 3
Hi, MNS, do you know how fast the chromosomes migrate? Would it be seen under a light microscope? Or would oyu have to speed it up for the action to be discernible?

My reasoning for anaphase being less discerened, is perhaps that anaphase's time slice is very limited in a mitotic cell cycle, thus we see a less proportion of them in a staining prodecure.

Not very fast, in all honesty; mitosis itself takes half an hour from start to finish, so I'd imagine (this is pure, unadulterated guesswork) that anaphase takes about 15 mins. But that's fast enough to be a pain if you want to do an in-depth study of the chromosomes, so there does seem to me to be good reason to get rid of the spindle apparatus... They tend to speed the film up when they show you film of it. But having never been able to observe mitosis in a living cell (I've only seen fixed mitotic cells), I couldn't really say for sure!

edit: oh and of course!! I completely misinterpreted the question on the anaphase cells :redface: My brain really isn't working tonight!! You're absolutely right on that one, I think :smile: (Which may make the time course for anaphase a lot faster than 15 mins)
Reply 4

You'd probably want to use a stain and fluorescence microscopy to look at moving chromosomes (have you seen those nice green video things?). Bright field in a light microscope usually requires the cells to be fixed and I don't know if phase-contrast would be much good.

Ben
Reply 5

Get the CD-ROM that accompanies Alberts. Nice videos on there.
Reply 6
All great ideas. Will carry out them. And is Albert as in "Cell Biology" Alberts?
Reply 7
All great ideas. Will carry out them. And is Albert as in "Cell Biology" Alberts?

'Molecular Biology of the Cell' Alberts, I think - the big useless silver one.

Ben
Reply 8
Great info, cheers
Reply 9
Ben.S.
'Molecular Biology of the Cell' Alberts, I think - the big useless silver one.

Ben

It may or may not be useless but it's the standard cell biology text so :redface:
Reply 10
shiny
It may or may not be useless but it's the standard cell biology text so :redface:

Standard text, where? We have a few - Stryer is far better as far as a lot of biochemistry is concerned but Alberts has pretty comprehensive coverage of development and its associated genetic bits.

Ben
Reply 11
Ben.S.
Stryer is far better as far as a lot of biochemistry is concerned

Ahh, Stryer is a classic.

Zubay & Lehinger(sp) are pretty good as well.
Reply 12
Ben.S.
Standard text, where? We have a few - Stryer is far better as far as a lot of biochemistry is concerned but Alberts has pretty comprehensive coverage of development and its associated genetic bits.

Ben

i can see stryer on my bookshelf this very minute, but am reluctant to ever open its mean green exterior.
Reply 13
timeofyourlife
i can see stryer on my bookshelf this very minute, but am reluctant to ever open its mean green exterior.

Well the blue sheen on my Stryer is ever radient. What edition is the green stryer?
Reply 14
Well the blue sheen on my Stryer is ever radient. What edition is the green stryer?

5th Edition.

Ben
Reply 15
becareful of Alberts - in 'simplifying' things, the book often misrepresents them. It's a good starting place for info but certainly not gospel.

I have beige Stryer and red Stryer! Decided not to buy yet another one - robbing b@st@rds!
Reply 16
Stryer Blue is 3rd edition, what editions are beige & red then?
Reply 17

Incidentally, why do you own a copy of Stryer anyway?

Ben
Reply 18

3rd i think..what degree are you doing?
Reply 19
timeofyourlife
3rd i think..

3rd is beige and 4th is red.

Latest

Trending

Trending