The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A levels are hard.
Reply 2
Well normally you would be expected to achieve 5 A*-C GCSEs incl. English & Maths. If you struggled to pass 3subjects you will find A-Levels far too hard. And to do A-Level Maths, you really need an A at GCSE. Perhaps consider a vocational qualification, such as a BTEC, which might be offered at the local college.
Reply 3
can i go to university if i do btec ?
Reply 4
shay14
can i go to university if i do btec ?

Yes. For any more specific information you would need to talk to someone at the College/6th Form, because they will know what they offer as, like A-Levels this varies. This is from the Edexcel website:

http://developments.edexcel.org.uk/nationals/what/
Reply 5
i already applied for as levels, already, will they decline me then ?
Reply 6
shay14
i already applied for as levels, already, will they decline me then ?

It is likely that they will try and arrange for you to find a more suitable course.
Reply 7
jelly1000
It is likely that they will try and arrange for you to find a more suitable course.

thanks, i am pretty confused now, how long does a btec course take ?

this is my 3rd year in college, i can't afford to do 5, if i chose a levels which are a 2 years course
Reply 8
Like has been said you normally need 5 A-C''s minimum to be enrolled into any 6th form or college and tbh I think you'r lucky your school is allowing you to take an A levels..with only those grades..as like I said you reeally need better(A-C). Ad you also have to take into account the A levels are MUCH harder than GCSE and if you didn't do good at GCSE tere is a low chance you will at A level.
Reply 9
thanks but how long will a btec course take?
shay14
thanks, i am pretty confused now, how long does a btec course take ?

this is my 3rd year in college, i can't afford to do 5, if i chose a levels which are a 2 years course

Btecs are two years, like A-Levels. As you seem to be in a complicated situation, I would reccomend you talking to someone where you had applied for 6th form.
Reply 11
jelly1000
Btecs are two years, like A-Levels. As you seem to be in a complicated situation, I would reccomend you talking to someone where you had applied for 6th form.

argh... so i would be nearly 20 years old going to university.....that transition from french system to english system really put me in a bad situation
Reply 12
just go to the jobcenter and sign-on
Reply 13
thats not helping me
BTECs and A Levels are usually interchangable in terms of length of course and validitiy to go to University.

Talk to the Entry Officer at the college you are going to or ring up the college to see if there is someone you can discuss it with.

This article outlines what the qualifications are if you need a bit of help understanding them.
Reply 15
Or just dont do a-level maths. I heard general studies is pretty damn rewarding though.
shay14
argh... so i would be nearly 20 years old going to university.....that transition from french system to english system really put me in a bad situation

Why is it a bad thing you'll be nearly 20? Loads of people going will be older than 20! So don't let that put you off. :smile:
Reply 17
inksplodge
Why is it a bad thing you'll be nearly 20? Loads of people going will be older than 20! So don't let that put you off. :smile:

well it is just because my older brother is 19, 20 in 2 days and he finished his first year already.
Reply 18
shay14
that transition from french system to english system really put me in a bad situation

sorry, im confused.
so you're french? and you moved over here two years ago, i'm assuming? and you took some GCSEs. No french qualifications (i guess you left before you could take french bac?) or anything?
what a levels did you want to do, aside from maths?
Reply 19
clozet
sorry, im confused.
so you're french? and you moved over here two years ago, i'm assuming? and you took some GCSEs. No french qualifications (i guess you left before you could take french bac?) or anything?
what a levels did you want to do, aside from maths?

well i was 14, and enrolled into college, just before i started, they noticed i was so young so they got me into a foundation program into a local college, i did ict course.

then i did 2 gcse, maths and english , i passed one and failed the other, this year i did 5 gcse, got my results which i posted, but im not sure now if i will be doing as-levels, i already applied and got a letter for my interview though...

i want to english, media studies and biology, the man said i can only take 3-4 a-levels

Latest