The Student Room Group

A-Level Dilema

There are probably loads of threads like this about so sorry in advance! I have a dilema with regard to my A-level choices. I have just completed my GCSEs. Currently, I have chosen Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Art, hoping to apply for Medicine at Oxbridge. However, I received unexpectedly good results in Physics in my GCSEs today (my best result) so am now considering whether I should swap Physics for Art. I am also considering applying for Natural Sci (possibly biological) at Cambridge or Biology at Oxford. Art has always been a strength of mine, and I find it difficult to believe that I am even considering dropping it, but if it will help me in my application, I may consider it. How useful is it to do 4 science subjects as opposed to 3 sciences and an art. If I did art, I would most probably drop it after AS-Level because the workload is so heavy, and I would be concentrating on my sciences. I'm also aware that art is on the Cambridge 'less effective preparation' list, although since it is my fourth A-Level it will probably not matter. If though, the admissions tutors had to decide between me and another candidate with similar credentials, would having four sciences be an advantage, or is it good to show breadth across both the sciences and the arts? Does it make sense to take physics instead of art?

Scroll to see replies

Definitely, DO NOT TAKE ART, unless you want to be severly disadvantaged from getting into Oxbridge. I say, if you don't want to do 4 sciences (maths, bio, chem, physics), then do 3 sciences and a well-respected essay-based subject such as English Lit or History. Overall you have a good subject choice; but please, don't choose art, you will regret it if you choose it and it will do you no good. Oxbridge courses are competitive as it is, but with natural science and MEDICINE! If you want to be a successful applicant do:

4 sciences (excluding psychology)
3 sciences + English Lit/History.
Reply 2
im so academic
Definitely, DO NOT TAKE ART, unless you want to be severly disadvantaged from getting into Oxbridge. I say, if you don't want to do 4 sciences (maths, bio, chem, physics), then do 3 sciences and a well-respected essay-based subject such as English Lit or History. Overall you have a good subject choice; but please, don't choose art, you will regret it if you choose it and it will do you no good.

You have got to be kidding.

OP, as long as you have Biology and Chemistry, the rest is up to you. Art is good, respected and provides a nice variety.
im so academic
Definitely, DO NOT TAKE ART, unless you want to be severly disadvantaged from getting into Oxbridge. I say, if you don't want to do 4 sciences (maths, bio, chem, physics), then do 3 sciences and a well-respected essay-based subject such as English Lit or History. Overall you have a good subject choice; but please, don't choose art, you will regret it if you choose it and it will do you no good. Oxbridge courses are competitive as it is, but with natural science and MEDICINE! If you want to be a successful applicant do:

4 sciences (excluding psychology)
3 sciences + English Lit/History.

You have really excelled yourself, haven't you?

OP, ignore this idiot who does not know what he is talking about.
Draconis
You have got to be kidding.

OP, as long as you have Biology and Chemistry, the rest is up to you. Art is good, respected and provides a nice variety.

Where did you get that from? Even if it is respected (which I doubt), it won't provide a successful background for a Cambridge course.
Oxbridge only want two 'traditional' subjects anyway. If a 4th AS is Art it wouldn't matter, if it was a combination of Art, Drama, Photography and Sports Studies then it obviously would.
Reply 6
im so academic
Where did you get that from? Even if it is respected (which I doubt), it won't provide a successful background for a Cambridge course.

Biology and Chemistry will provide a successful background for Cambridge Medicine. Add Maths to that, and the OP should be able to apply for NatSci without any problems. The fourth subject is entirely up to the individual, so you might as well do something you enjoy and can get a good grade in.
The workload for Art, from what I see, at AS Level is very heavy, and will take up an disproportional amount of your time, especially if you are going to drop it. You can always just write about Art on your personal statement and carry it on at an extra-curricular level.
Good bloke
You have really excelled yourself, haven't you?

OP, ignore this idiot who does not know what he is talking about.

What?! Look at the Cambridge undergraduate admissions and then you'll know what I'm talking about. Also check out Trinity College's entry requirements and you'll see Art will NOT provide a good background for a Cambridge undergraduate degree. Just look at their prospectus, admissions, entry requirements etc.
Reply 9
im so academic
Definitely, DO NOT TAKE ART, unless you want to be severly disadvantaged from getting into Oxbridge.

Without meaning to cause offence, this is rubbish. Two sciences + Maths + another subject would be perfectly sufficient. In fact, it's thought that having a subject like art, that's very different to the other's you are doing will improve your application as it will show you're not simply a science machine, and that you have strengths in other areas.

If you think you'd do better in Physics, maybe you could consider it, but if you enjoy art, and think you'd do well in it, I'd stick with it.
You would also find the bit where it says "we require applicants to take at least TWO 'traditional' subjects".
necessarily benevolent
You would also find the bit where it says "we require applicants to take at least TWO 'tradtional' subjects".

exactly, AT LEAST!

I can't believe the people here on this thread would tell an aspiring Oxbridge hopeful to choose art, when you can clearly see she wants to do MEDICINE. There is no colleration between the two subjects. She was considering to choose physics, which is a more respectable option than art (obviously).
in fact, name me one significant individual that studied medicine at cambridge, and is now a successful doctor and did A Levels in Maths, biology, chemistry and art.

politics is a better option than art because even though it has nothing to do with medicine, like art, and even though it is not traditional, like art, it provides an individual with much more worthwhile skills and it cambridge state that politics IS suitible for a number of courses, compared with ART.
It would look better to do Physics but if the OP wants to do Art it wouldn't harm the application, especially as a 4th A level.
im so academic
in fact, name me one significant individual that studied medicine at cambridge, and is now a successful doctor and did A Levels in Maths, biology, chemistry and art.

politics is a better option than art because even though it has nothing to do with medicine, like art, and even though it is not traditional, like art, it provides an individual with much more worthwhile skills and it cambridge state that politics IS suitible for a number of courses, compared with ART.

At A2 Level Cam. want no more than 1 from their list of 'not recommended' subjects. If OP is going to drop after AS anyway it wouldn't harm him. My only concern would be the workload associated with Art and whether that would hinder the sciences?

Stop being so ****ing tactless "im so academic"
JakeCordell
At A2 Level Cam. want no more than 1 from their list of 'not recommended' subjects. If OP is going to drop after AS anyway it wouldn't harm him. My only concern would be the workload associated with Art and whether that would hinder the sciences?

Stop being so ****ing tactless "im so academic"

Yes, the statement in bold was another point I was about to post! Although, I don't completely agree with the statement shown in blue.
im so academic
Yes, the statement in bold was another point I was about to post! Although, I don't completely agree with the statement shown in blue.

Lol, i wasn't expecting you to :p:
Reply 17
Draconis
Biology and Chemistry will provide a successful background for Cambridge Medicine. Add Maths to that, and the OP should be able to apply for NatSci without any problems. The fourth subject is entirely up to the individual, so you might as well do something you enjoy and can get a good grade in.

I agree there, doing 3 sciences and maths might be too heavy, anyway. You'll only end up dropping one. Take one that you'll enjoy doing.
im so academic
What?! Look at the Cambridge undergraduate admissions and then you'll know what I'm talking about. Also check out Trinity College's entry requirements and you'll see Art will NOT provide a good background for a Cambridge undergraduate degree. Just look at their prospectus, admissions, entry requirements etc.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you couldn't read. We are discussing whether the OP should take art as an AS, in additon to three science A levels. This meets any university's requirement for medicine.
Reply 19
do physics, it's not too hard and art is a massive workload which you really won't want. If it is a passion of yours then continue it as a hobby.

Latest

Trending

Trending