Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i want to cancel my mobile contract phone.....

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    am with T-mobile and i want to cancel my contact phone .
    my contract started in Feb and i have paid £316.67 and its ending next year august .
    am i going to get charged ?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There usually is a charge if you want to cancel your contract before it ends. Check the T-mobile website or the first info pack you got for details.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most likely yes, as you've entered a legally binding contract

And looking at similar people's problems on google...it doesn't look good :s:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They usually charge you the line rental for the remainer of the period and a cancellation fee, if you received a free phone they sometimes add a fee on for that, good luck hun
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how much can the charge me ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never got charged. Just tell them you are going abroad for around 6 months and you'll sign up with t-mobile again when you return. It should be free or worst case 30quid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)
    I never got charged. Just tell them you are going abroad for around 6 months and you'll sign up with t-mobile again when you return. It should be free or worst case 30quid.
    Did you get a phone with the contract?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crips)
    Did you get a phone with the contract?
    Yes i did. The operator was really sweet on the phone. It really depends on who you get on the phone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)
    did they take the phone back
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No the phone was not taken back. to be honest, i dont even remember them mentioning the phone. If the operator on the phone doesnt budge, ask for the address for customer relations (i recently got a 500pound bill cleared by them)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ84)
    did they take the phone back ? do u need proof tht u are going abroad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bey4evr)
    did they take the phone back ? do u need proof tht u are going abroad.
    no phone taken back and no proof needed. Just insist. But always remian sweet and polite.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    as much as they like really. Usually its the remaining cost of the contract (so however many months are left x by the amount you pay a month) plus a cancellation fee.
    You may get lucky, and they won't penalise you for cancelling, but you'll be very lucky if that happens.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You WILL be charged your line rental and a small fee. 99 times out of 100 you cannot give them excuses. We can put a tempory disconnection if you are going abroad but we will not cancel it.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you cancel your contract early, you pay the remaining months of your contract
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's been a long time since I've seen a thread so full of incorrect information and terrible advice.

If you have entered into a contract with a minimum term (sounds like you are on an 18 month contract at £35 a month or something like that), then the cancellation fee will be equal to monthly line rental x no of months remaining, reduced by a few %. So probably another £300-350.

There won't be a cancellation fee on top of that, and having a phone supplied as part of the contract really doesn't have anything to do with it (they're not going to take the handset back, they depreciate in value so fast it's really not worth their hassle).

Attempting to get out of paying the debt by claiming that you've moved abroad is not going to work; I doubt they would suspend your line rental for 6 months and even if they did that wouldn't get around the fact that you still owe them the money. If you avoid paying it, you will ruin your credit history and find it extremely hard to obtain credit in the future (credit cards, loans, mortgages) - for at least six years.

They will hand the debt to a collection agency, who will pursue you through court; you could end up with a CCJ and bailiffs turning up at your door.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    It's been a long time since I've seen a thread so full of incorrect information and terrible advice.

If you have entered into a contract with a minimum term (sounds like you are on an 18 month contract at £35 a month or something like that), then the cancellation fee will be equal to monthly line rental x no of months remaining, reduced by a few %. So probably another £300-350.

There won't be a cancellation fee on top of that, and having a phone supplied as part of the contract really doesn't have anything to do with it (they're not going to take the handset back, they depreciate in value so fast it's really not worth their hassle).

Attempting to get out of paying the debt by claiming that you've moved abroad is not going to work; I doubt they would suspend your line rental for 6 months and even if they did that wouldn't get around the fact that you still owe them the money. If you avoid paying it, you will ruin your credit history and find it extremely hard to obtain credit in the future (credit cards, loans, mortgages) - for at least six years.

They will hand the debt to a collection agency, who will pursue you through court; you could end up with a CCJ and bailiffs turning up at your door.

Three do charge a disconnection fee.

And at least Orange will temporarily dissconnect it for up to 6 months.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pooks12345)
    Three do charge a disconnection fee.
    The cancellation fee is listed in their Price Guide as
    Lump sum equivalent to the total of all the monthly charges still remaining on your initial Minimum Term (where applicable)

Which is basically what I said.

T-Mobile's T&Cs say:
    7.2.4 Apart from as described in points 7.2.5 and 7.3.2 below, if You are terminating whilst You are within Your Minimum Term, a cancellation charge will apply. We calculate a cancellation charge by firstly adding together all remaining Monthly Charges (or other periodic Charges, plus any other Charges stated in the terms and conditions for any Service) for the remainder of the Minimum Term.
    We then take off 4% of that figure to get the final charge.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)

Ive been working with t-mobile for the last 3 years. Can confirm everything snu said here is 100% correct.

They can suspend your contract for a period of time if you say you are going abroad for a while. However, this can only be done once you are out of your agreed contract period (either the 12 or 18 months).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess it was just me then who got lucky and didn't have to pay zilch.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2010
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.