The Student Room Group

Osmosis/Water Potential Experiment

We did an osmosis experiment using discs of potato and different concentrations of glucose solution. We left the discs for 24hrs and then recorded the change in mass. So I just have a couple of questions please ...

I've done a graph of % change in mass against concentration of solution. Should I join up the points with a ruler or do it freehand and why?

With what kind of plant tissue might it be possible to use a change in volume rather than mass for estimating water potential?

Is there a more accurate way of doing this exp because after 24 hrs we had to pat off the excess water a bit before weighing them again, which obviously will lead to inaccuracies.
Reply 1
thelibertines
We did an osmosis experiment using discs of potato and different concentrations of glucose solution. We left the discs for 24hrs and then recorded the change in mass. So I just have a couple of questions please ...

I've done a graph of % change in mass against concentration of solution. Should I join up the points with a ruler or do it freehand and why?

With what kind of plant tissue might it be possible to use a change in volume rather than mass for estimating water potential?

Is there a more accurate way of doing this exp because after 24 hrs we had to pat off the excess water a bit before weighing them again, which obviously will lead to inaccuracies.

I can't really help you, as the experiment we are doing is different... but I think for the graph you have to join the points up by freehand. I'm not sure though, but that is what I'm gonna do (I'm doing my graph right now).
Reply 2
Are you doing a line of best fit?
Reply 3
Nope, I don't think there is any point really.
Reply 4
Anyone ... ?

Latest

Trending

Trending