The Student Room Group

How Many Hours?

Hey

I'm starting a gap year and looking to save money as much as possible though not going to extremes such as cutting out all social activities because I am not travelling anyway.

Just a quick question - how many hours is good? I'm currently working about 15 hours with the possibility of overtime and some commission. Should I get a second job, possibly Sunday one?

Secondly - should I be taxed on only 15 hours a week?
Reply 1
Everyone has a tax-free allowance.... For the 2008/2009 tax year, the allowance is £5,435.

You only pay Income Tax on anything above this amount, which is then worked out according to which tax band you are on.
Reply 2
Anyone?
i work 16 hours per week and i don't get texted because i don't work more than 16 hours a week.
Reply 4
You haven't said how much you earn, how much you spend, and how much you need to save, its a little difficult to give good advice without specifics
Reply 5
Mokert23
Hey

I'm starting a gap year and looking to save money as much as possible though not going to extremes such as cutting out all social activities because I am not travelling anyway.

Just a quick question - how many hours is good? I'm currently working about 15 hours with the possibility of overtime and some commission. Should I get a second job, possibly Sunday one?

Secondly - should I be taxed on only 15 hours a week?

If you have no other plans for your gap year I would say definately full time 37 hours a week or therabouts, but try to get or move into a position that will provide you with some solid experience too. I think its quite a waste of a gap year if you don't make full use of it, to your future employers a gap year means either one of two things; 1. You matured, gained valuable experience and demonstrate a willingness to work hard. 2. You wasted a lot of time and if anything the gap year then counts against you vs. an applicant without a gap year.

I'm not saying I have anything against people who do gap years and go travelling etc. that can be a positive thing too but again only if its done in the right way.

Also, the money will be incredibly handy for uni, it will inevitably cost extra on top of what you ever estimate it to.
Reply 6
You will pay tax but you'll get it back at the end of the year in a tax rebate, aslong as you don't go over the limit for that year. Tax is 20% for most people, you won't pay national insurance though. All money is taxed, its just if you don't go over a certain limit (£5000), the government will pay you it back.
Reply 7
I work 60 hours a week, on average (during summer), and get taxed about 9%. I dont pay income tax, but pay NI on any money earnt after £180 at a rate of 11%.
Reply 8
:eek: 60 hours?
a week?
Reply 9
That's like 8.6 hours everyday, how do you manage that? Where do you work and how much do you get per hour?
Reply 10
Sparxy
That's like 8.6 hours everyday, how do you manage that? Where do you work and how much do you get per hour?

I did the same all through summer, I was earning £377 (aprox) every 2 weeks and this was at McDonalds taking every shift possible.
Reply 11
rt
I did the same all through summer, I was earning £377 (aprox) every 2 weeks and this was at McDonalds taking every shift possible.

Ah, I planned to do that myself during the college holidays were I work, should be sweet. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending