The Student Room Group

What's more important? Enjoyment or reputation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Defintely Money
access from where? Also, living at uni isn't like living in the real world where you just ration the costs..
Reply 82
prospectivEEconomist
access from where?

As I said, people could save £250 a month using that. Or use any amount of that £250 as extra living costs.
I'm not saying everyone could, or should, live like that; I'm saying that's how I live, and I'd much prefer to continue living that way in future and enjoy my job than earn more and enjoy my job less.
Reply 83
prospectivEEconomist
access from where? Also, living at uni isn't like living in the real world where you just ration the costs..

How is it not any different?
Oh dear, I worry about people saying that £15K is a ****ty wage - my family which consists of 2 adults and 3 kids exists on slightly less than that. And they're putting away money each month. And paying a mortgage and bills. People budget, doesnt mean they're in poverty. It is completely possible to save on a £15K salary if it's just yourself you're supporting.
what job do you do that pays you 15 k? working in a shop or charity?
Reply 86
Danielle89
Oh dear, I worry about people saying that £15K is a ****ty wage - my family which consists of 2 adults and 3 kids exists on slightly less than that. And they're putting away money each month. And paying a mortgage and bills. People budget, doesnt mean they're in poverty. It is completely possible to save on a £15K salary if it's just yourself you're supporting.

Exactly. Good to see someone else with the same opinion. :smile:
prospectivEEconomist

My step-dad works in a bank as a credit card adviser on the phones and he earns less than 15k. In the real world many jobs are pretty crap pay, but you can still live on it.
Reply 88
prospectivEEconomist

Why would it only be a shop or charity?
sorry i didn't ask you dannielle, was actually asking cpj!
cpj1987
Why would it only be a shop or charity?

perhaps salaries are higher in London and not many jobs pay you 15 k or less (well obviously some do, but the professional ones don't), so maybe thats why I am struggling to grasp how someone could live comfortably on a 15 k salary?
Reply 91
cpj1987
£15k a year = £1k a month before tax.

£400 on rent, £250 on bills, £100 on living, gives £250 a month to spare.

Otherwise, slightly more on living, slightly less on saving. The saving doesn't have to happen quickly.

Your figures are way off. 600 on rent hardly gets you a rubbish 1 bed flat (no i'm not talking about london).
Reply 92
prospectivEEconomist
perhaps salaries are higher in London and not many jobs pay you 15 k or less (well obviously some do, but the professional ones don't), so maybe thats why I am struggling to grasp how someone could live comfortably on a 15 k salary?

Currently I'm still a student, obviously. I pay rent of around £6400 a year (bills included), which I pay in four installments.
Each month, I spend around £40 on food, £60 or so on treats, and save around £400 for my rent.

I've already listed how I intend to live once I've graduate on the last page.
Reply 93
WOLLSMOTH
Your figures are way off. 600 on rent hardly gets you a rubbish 1 bed flat (no i'm not talking about london).

My figures aren't way off. I'm not stupid enough not to plan ahead. :p:
Reply 94
Usman938
When in doubt, and conflicting ideas on education are arising, scrap academics and become a plumber, you'll enjoy that, and no one has more respect than a plumber

I know!!! thats so true my friend was talking about pluming the other day, apparently they get lot of money especially the self employed ones. Pluming is the new “it” Job :wink:
Reply 95
prospectivEEconomist
sorry i didn't ask you dannielle, was actually asking cpj!

So you're happy to accept that some other people are happy on 15k, but I can't be? Any reason? :s-smilie:
no plumbers dont fking get loads of money...only the guys who own the business doo...and the actual plumbers far outweigh plumber business owners
cpj1987
So you're happy to accept that some other people are happy on 15k, but I can't be? Any reason? :s-smilie:

because there may be extenuating circumstances, and her parents might not have necessarily gone to university..
Reply 98
cpj1987
£15k a year = £1k a month before tax.

£400 on rent, £250 on bills, £100 on living, gives £250 a month to spare.

Otherwise, slightly more on living, slightly less on saving. The saving doesn't have to happen quickly.

£400 on rent is awfully low. Where are you planning living?

Ignoring that, if you do live somewhere that cheap, you're going to need transport. Even a few quid a day on the bus will wipe out most of your "spare" money, and a car is basically out of the question. And £100 on "living" is less than £3.50 a day - really?

cpj1987

Currently I'm still a student, obviously. I pay rent of around £6400 a year (bills included), which I pay in four installments.
Each month, I spend around £40 on food, £60 or so on treats, and save around £400 for my rent.

Have you already paid for most of your food in halls or something? £40 a month on food is ridiculously low - my family probably spend about that on milk.
WOLLSMOTH

Four hundred and twenty five in rent gets you a three-bed (detached) house in my local paper. You can't rent anything at six hundred - the market simply doesn't exist. My parents mortgage on a three-bed semi is only five hundred, and it's a decent enough house bought when prices were at their peak. So, I dare say that most places north of the middle of England (which is virtually exactly where I am) have something to offer at a quarter of a grand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending