The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, not sure how these will stand against the others which have been posted, but I've been experimenting recently and would love some feedback.
Reply 3421
3326199096_258b87f690_b.jpg

4867214478_dfdfc2d974_b.jpg
Original post by Monstermuffin20
Lighting wasn't what I wanted but what can you do eh?

Since you asked Ill tell you a secret. They make these things called flashes, coupled with some flash stands and the correct angle + power combination you can make a nice looking image

that right there is "what you can do eh". But don't tell anyone, its a well kept secret among everyone. :tongue:
mdf,msdf,msd,fmsd,f
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by smartipants
Hey guys, not sure how these will stand against the others which have been posted, but I've been experimenting recently and would love some feedback.

The first one is a nice picture but it would benefit from having the expanse of black at the bottom cropped off a bit, that could also allow you to use the rule of thirds. It also gives you a nice wide aspect ratio on the photo which fits with the fact it's a landscape photo. Something like this:
Edited-1.jpg

I really like the second one, the composition is great and I love the illumination of the owl.

The third one could also do with a bit of cropping, just to take some of the dead space off the top, other than that it's a nice photo. :smile:
Edited-3.jpg

Original post by Monstermuffin20
Ah yes this was just me on my knees taking the photo with my hands, I actually have 3 tripods but I wasn't aware of what I was to be doing I was just called up by one of my friends to help her take pictures of another friend for some kind of project and I carry my camera around with my for the most part but not my tripod everywhere for obvious reasons :tongue:.
There was an off camera flash used but, again, I had to make do with placement since I had limited places to mount unfortunately. I did straighten the photo up but I just felt that it didn't feel right for some reason, So I put it back.

As I said this was A really quick thing and if I had the time and equipment I reckon these would have gone better. Thanks for your tips and options though, nice to see some critiquing(?) going on in this thread!

I really need to get a proper tripod (I've got a gorillapod style one at the moment), so many of my shots end up either being blurred or with ridiculous amounts of ISO noise because I have to shoot handheld. Fair enough on the straightening, as I was writing I really couldn't make my mind up on that bit. The angle of the flash is pretty good in my opinion, I'm just starting to get my head around using a flash properly but not having a proper remote trigger makes it a bit of an arse-ache as I can only use the light trigger which limits where the flash can be placed.
(edited 12 years ago)

(edited 12 years ago)
A couple from a few weeks ago:

Spoiler

Tom (+ drink) by Alex Sheppard, on Flickr

Spoiler

Drink (+ Rajitha) by Alex Sheppard, on Flickr
Since this thread is followed by many people I'm going to ask: is there any website that shows one picture taken by both a compact and a DSLR camera? I can't find any :frown:
Sharing some Zenit love:

Flowers by , on Flickr

Coffee by , on Flickr

Zenit blur by , on Flickr

I just love the circular bokeh that Helios lenses give...
Original post by Suzanathema
Sharing some Zenit love:

I just love the circular bokeh that Helios lenses give...

Love these so much!! I'm really interested in getting started shooting film, what would you recommend as a good camera to start with?
Original post by Sarang_assa
Love these so much!! I'm really interested in getting started shooting film, what would you recommend as a good camera to start with?

Thanks!

I shoot with a Zenit-ET. You can get them off eBay for pretty cheap, and you learn loads because they are fully manual. They come with an in-built light meter, so you get an idea of which shutterspeed and aperture to use.

Any cheap manual camera would be good to start learning on, but if you are into the circular blur effect, which I was, I recommend getting a Zenit. They are Soviet-made and built like absolute tanks :tongue:
Original post by Suzanathema
Thanks!

I shoot with a Zenit-ET. You can get them off eBay for pretty cheap, and you learn loads because they are fully manual. They come with an in-built light meter, so you get an idea of which shutterspeed and aperture to use.

Any cheap manual camera would be good to start learning on, but if you are into the circular blur effect, which I was, I recommend getting a Zenit. They are Soviet-made and built like absolute tanks :tongue:

Thank you! I'll have a scout around ebay now xxx
Original post by Miss Mary
Since this thread is followed by many people I'm going to ask: is there any website that shows one picture taken by both a compact and a DSLR camera? I can't find any :frown:

dpreview reviews cameras and use the exact same set up for their test shots. If you use the studio comparison tool you can compare some of the SLRs and compacts that they have in their database. It's not particularly extensive but you can get an idea.:smile:
I have a bit of an obsession with the panoramic setting thingy on my camera. (Sorry about the clicking to make them bigger thing.)

laura_grima_itsasbeautifulasitlooksinthephotos.jpg

Term Two, Year Two 053.jpg

Term Two, Year Two 042.JPG
I know I posted one not too long ago, but I really like this photo, it's part of my photo a day challenge, todays challenge was tiny
(edited 12 years ago)
I know I posted one not too long ago, but I really like this photo, it's part of my photo a day challenge, todays challenge was tiny

So tiny, we cannot see the photo at all :wink::biggrin:
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
So tiny, we cannot see the photo at all :wink::biggrin:

Haha indeed! for some reason it won't let me upload or link the img from flickr, so here's a link for anyone who can be bothered!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77413633@N06/6901719428/
Reply 3438
Haha indeed! for some reason it won't let me upload or link the img from flickr, so here's a link for anyone who can be bothered!

Like this. :smile:
Original post by SMed
Like this. :smile:

Ah thank you, my hero <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending