The Student Room Group

How to make green tea so it doesn't taste MANK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
All Japanese green tea is rank, I'm in Japan now and they keep giving me loads. It's truly wrong.
Chinese Jasmine tea, however, the stuff that they give you for free in restaurants, is lovely. It's got almost no flavour but you get the tea-fix.
Reply 21
Guys I've had about 5 cups of green tea today and all of a sudden I feel proper ill. Like seriously going to throw up.

Is that normal?
Reply 22
Tufts
Guys I've had about 5 cups of green tea today and all of a sudden I feel proper ill. Like seriously going to throw up.

Is that normal?

Tufts, I hope you know your my test dummy. If you don't sucessfully switch I'm not gonna try. I am quite happy with my PG and semi skinned milk though. Good luck, keep us updated. :p:
Reply 23
Tufts
Is that normal?

I've had it after a couple of mugs in one go when I made it too strong - I shuddered a few times, felt sick, and the tea started smelling of grass cuttings :s-smilie:. I cut down the one minute brewing time to 40 seconds after that, and it's been okay since. Hope you feel better soon :smile:.
xMiss_Sarahx
Don't leave the teabag in for too long and get some green tea that hs some fruity flavour in it too...I love twinning's green tea & cranberry

*High five*
I was thinking that as soon as I read the title of this thread, have had two cups of this today, may have some more later. :p:
Reply 25
Tufts
But wont that still be packed with caffinne?

Green tea has no caffinne right?

I'm clueless :o:

Red tea is naturally caffeine free if that helps
Reply 26
xMiss_Sarahx
Don't leave the teabag in for too long and get some green tea that hs some fruity flavour in it too...I love twinning's green tea & cranberry

:no: OH no that green tea with cranberry is awful
Tufts
But wont that still be packed with caffinne?

Green tea has no caffinne right?

I'm clueless :o:

Green has 1/2 the caffeine of black. Want to try green soon:smile:
add some honey...or **** it some sugar :biggrin:
YAP
Decaf Earl Grey - Twinings make some, it's in a silver-grey box.

It has a teeny bit of caffeine in it, so buy decaf if you're completely eliminating it.

Decaf is linked to heart disease:woo:
Reply 30
If you want an alternative to tea then why not try other herbal teas, most of them taste far nicer than green tea. (My favourite is Twining's rasberry, vanilla and ginseng with a little splenda added =])
Reply 31
MeAndBubbles
Decaf is linked to heart disease:woo:

Source?
YAP
Source?

sorry mate, it might have been a medical journal,

not having a laugh.
YAP
Source?

google it,

tons of sources
Reply 34
MeAndBubbles
google it,

tons of sources

I tried Google first, before asking for a source, but I couldn't find anything about an increased risk of heart disease linked to drinking decaf tea. There are several sources discussing results found in a 2005 study that linked decaf coffee consumption to an increased risk of heart disease, but nothing concerning decaf tea. If there is evidence related to decaf tea that I've overlooked I'd be interested to see it, though :smile:.
gm15
:no: OH no that green tea with cranberry is awful

no, it's yummy (and i don't even like cranberry)
YAP
Source?

Decaf coffee not decaf tea!! oops!!

OK, seems like the verdict is out on decaf tea. Just be aware of how it is processed, and which is the best method.

I did find some further bad news for vegans or near-vegans, like myself. Apart from caffeine, tea consumption can......

"While tea is a safe beverage for most, strict vegetarians and those with low blood iron need to consume it with caution. When taken with meals containing only plant-based foods, tea can reduce iron absorption in the gut. To prevent iron loss from food, the trick is to add lemon or milk to tea during meals. Another option is to enjoy tea in between meals."
Reply 37
That's why red tea is better - naturally caffeine free so no extra processing
red tea? is that the same as red bush? if so that stuff is rank!!
Reply 39
xMiss_Sarahx
red tea? is that the same as red bush? if so that stuff is rank!!

Yes that stuff. Your just being mean because I slagged off green tea with cranberry:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest