The Student Room Group

How to make green tea so it doesn't taste MANK?

Scroll to see replies

xMiss_Sarahx
red tea? is that the same as red bush? if so that stuff is rank!!

hey what? it's good, on it's own black is worse
What about normal teabags with no milk. yum.

I've have never liked green tea at all.
gm15
Yes that stuff. Your just being mean because I slagged off green tea with cranberry:smile:

Wish i could agree with you, but unfortunately it smells of vomit (or atleast to me it does).
My mum tried to get us all drinking it...she failed, miserably.:smile:
Reply 43
xMiss_Sarahx
Wish i could agree with you, but unfortunately it smells of vomit (or atleast to me it does).
My mum tried to get us all drinking it...she failed, miserably.:smile:

Arr but which brand did you try and did you make it right?
Damn - now I'm going to have to make one and see if your right about the smell.
gm15
Arr but which brand did you try and did you make it right?
Damn - now I'm going to have to make one and see if your right about the smell.

Advise me on brands and brewing tecniques and i may give it another try as you seem so convinced about it.
Reply 45
Well I've tried tetley's (or another of the major companies - meh my memory) and The Redbush Tea Company. Boiling water (duh!) then leave for 2-5 minutes. It may not be earth-shateringly amazing (its just tea after all) but I don't think it smells of vomit
Reply 46
have you tried

honey?

i love green tea with honey :smile:
Have you tried Pukka teas, they taste so good! :smile:yum. My personal favourite is the pleasure one, they do cost about £2 or 20 bags but then for yummy tea its totally worth it, they do different flavours and come in colourful packs.
Use loose tea in a diffuser rather than teac bags - sooo much nicer.

My favourite tea has to be chrysanthemum though - really pretty as well - LOL
Reply 49
YAP
I've had it after a couple of mugs in one go when I made it too strong - I shuddered a few times, felt sick, and the tea started smelling of grass cuttings :s-smilie:. I cut down the one minute brewing time to 40 seconds after that, and it's been okay since. Hope you feel better soon :smile:.

lol Now you tell me
Reply 50
sundogs
have you tried

honey?

i love green tea with honey :smile:

:ditto:
Tufts
But wont that still be packed with caffinne?

Green tea has no caffinne right?

I'm clueless :o:

If you want caffeinne free tea get Rooibos. Its from South Africa and has no caffeine! Tastes good as well!
Reply 52
You seriously think so, Bennyboy? Bleergh, hate the Rooibos stuff! Early grey always reminded me of cat wee, and I got bored of green tea very easily.

I prefer the flavoured ones myself - I think my all time favourite is the Lemon and Ginger one (I think it's Twinings), and I also liked the Ginseng one (reminded me of blueberries) from Clipper.

Cranberry flavour was always nice...

OK, these are all just opinions, no useful info here at all.

Take from it what you will!
Put rice milk in your normal cuppa, but do it FIRST, it goes a weird colour but then settles to look like normal tea.
Reply 54
Bennyboy65
If you want caffeinne free tea get Rooibos. Its from South Africa and has no caffeine! Tastes good as well!

I now have Tetley green tea decaf :smile:

Getting used to this green tea lark now.

Does anyone find that it lowers your appetite?
Oddball
You seriously think so, Bennyboy? Bleergh, hate the Rooibos stuff! Early grey always reminded me of cat wee, and I got bored of green tea very easily.

I prefer the flavoured ones myself - I think my all time favourite is the Lemon and Ginger one (I think it's Twinings), and I also liked the Ginseng one (reminded me of blueberries) from Clipper.

Cranberry flavour was always nice...

OK, these are all just opinions, no useful info here at all.

Take from it what you will!

Yea it tastes good!:smile:
Reply 56
Ok, so, what is the ideal method for brewing "the perfect cup" of green tea? I want to make some, but so far I've been using boiling water then leaving it for a few minutes, and apparently this is bad :p:
Reply 57
ashy
Ok, so, what is the ideal method for brewing "the perfect cup" of green tea? I want to make some, but so far I've been using boiling water then leaving it for a few minutes, and apparently this is bad :p:

According to my box of Tetley Green Tea:

"Green tea is best brewed with water just before it boils. Using water just below boiling temperature ensures the tea retains its delicate flavours and prevents any bitterness. Brew for 1 minute or longer if you like it strong. To sweeten add honey or sugar. "
Green tea doesn't, no, but neither does red tea which very sweet and lovely and I have it all the time. You might also find it under the name redbush or roibos :biggrin:
tbh i would prefer a yeast drink like Marmite™ or Bovril™ ?

Quick Reply

Latest