The Student Room Group

My dilemma. What would you advise me to do?

Hey y'all!

I recently got my things settled and I am again a happy puppy! However, I am before a very important choice in my life, so I'd be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally happy if someone could give me their opinion on the matters that are bothering me.

I earned an unconditional offer to study BA Politics at a top 3 uni in the UK.

but..

I also got admitted to Pricewaterhousecooper's Accounting Technician programme, in which you learn while you earn. In 2 years you would become a qualified Accountant Technician and in another 3 you would become a Chartered Accountant. (90% of the people who are admitted to that programme have proven to pass the professional exams).

Now I really fancy both things. Politics have always appealed to me, and hey, I got into one of the best places to read that! But entering the financial world also appeals to me as I'm really good with maths and I'm pretty decent at A2 Accounting!!!

I'm really confused as to which one would be better for me in the future, as without a doubt I will enjoy both. (yes, PWC's programme is something not to be missed). So yeah..

One thing I was wondering was probably doing the first 2 years at PWC and if somehow I don't like it, then would it be possible for me to enter some uni and read Politics as an adult learner? Is it too difficult to get student loan then?

Ooooooooooooooooooooh that's too much i've written. I hope at least someone reads it :smile:. Thanks in advance btw.

XxXx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry, not sure if I can offer much help, but have you considered doing some volunteer work exp in the field you want to work in?

Apparently really helps your chances of getting a job later.
Reply 2
i'd go with pwc
Reply 3
I'd go with pwc. My friend did the accounting thing straight from school but she was a chartered accountant within 3 or so years. Anyway she was earning 25-30k when all her graduate friends were earning bugger all.
But it does depend on your personality are you going to really regret missing out on the uni life? If so maybe ask if you can defer pwc for a while.
Its a difficult one I'd go for pay over being a student but thats just me.
Reply 4
I disagree - I'd go for politics. You'll have a fascinating, broad and unrepeatably free experience of life at University, meet lots of interesting people from all over the world, make friends for life, have lots of fun, study something for its own sake, and be in just as good a position to train as an acountant afterwards (or perhaps an even better position) - or you might discover something else you'd rather do in the meantime!

It's very early to commit to a career now - you've got another 40 years of work ahead of you! The money difference seems like a lot now, but you'll be earning a good wage on graduation, and a degree will help you with promotions later in life. I think you'd always be slightly envious of graduates. What would you talk about at dinner parties?! Also, the pride and enjoyment of a degree is priceless, so you can throw the sums out the window!
Reply 5
My uncle went through the PWC training and is now a chartered accountant in NZ. He has his own business, only works six months of the year, and did a degree afterwards. It's possible to do both if you really want to :smile:
if you can get into PwC, the world is your oyster....
Reply 7
You've got a good opportunity with PwC that so many graduates from university don't get. My brother is doing his Chartered Accountancy exams at the moment with KPMG, with whom he joined straight from university. (He had a choice between PwC and KPMG but he chose KPMG as they offered him a place on condition of him gaining a 2:2 in his degree, whereas PwC asked for a 2:1) However, he was really lucky and so many of his friends who'd also applied to PwC and KPMG didn't even get in because the competition from university graduates is so immense!
Unless you're that keen on, as docus says, studying something for studying's sake, definitely take PwC. You're saving yourself a couple of years, will be able to enjoy City life at the best time to enjoy it (assuming this is in London), and you can always go back to uni at any later date (if you're in your early 20s you can usually class as a normal undergrad, not adult learner). Also, with more and more graduates every year, who knows how competitive it'll be to get into a Big 4 as a graduate in 3/4 years time.
Reply 9
Jools
Also, with more and more graduates every year, who knows how competitive it'll be to get into a Big 4 as a graduate in 3/4 years time.

In my opinion there won't be much difference between working for say Baker Tilly or PWC as you aren't going to move up the hierachy that quickly especially without a decent degree behind you.

Slightly different situation but my family own thier own business so I could work with them on completion of my A levels and earn fantastic money for an 18-21 year old but I'd rather go to uni and study something I'm passionate about, enjoy student life while at an age similar to most the other undergrads and leave with a qualification I am proud of aswell.
jumpunderaboat
In my opinion there won't be much difference between working for say Baker Tilly or PWC as you aren't going to move up the hierachy that quickly especially without a decent degree behind you.

I think the difference between the Big 4 and Baker Tilly, Grant Thornton etc is like the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 investment banks, the former are slightly harder to get into, and have a slightly higher overall calibre of employers, though it's not that noticeable. All the top accountancy firms are very similar in the first few years, and pay you a lot less than they could (£20k for PwC in London?), because once you've got the qualification many are enticed elsewhere.
jumpunderaboat
I'd rather go to uni and study something I'm passionate about, enjoy student life while at an age similar to most the other undergrads and leave with a qualification I am proud of aswell.

Yeah same for me, I'm a careerist not an academic, but would still have spent 3/4 years studying at university and would not have thought about going straight into a job after A-Levels. But the fact that the threadstarter's considering it means they may not be so keen on uni, which isn't exactly for everyone.
Reply 11
Jools
(if you're in your early 20s you can usually class as a normal undergrad, not adult learner).

Mature students are classed as students over the age of 21. It doesn't really make a difference though - they're still "normal undergrads" for most things apart from, for example, financial assessment.
crana9
Mature students are classed as students over the age of 21. It doesn't really make a difference though - they're still "normal undergrads" for most things apart from, for example, financial assessment.

Right. I knew "mature" meant starting "over 21". Just at my uni college there's been 21, 22 year old freshers (multiple gap years etc) and never thought of them as in any way different.
Reply 13
Yeah I agree with the going to uni thing.

Well sounds like you are business orientated to have studied accounting A level. Now I assume you are talking about LSE to read BA politics in which case I would urge you to take it (if you think you will remain interested in the subject and can get at least a 2:2) which would open so many doors to you

If you know you want to do a job just for the money then I would perhaps go for the training scheme. But I'm not sure if this is really valued by employers...

And it was mentioned earlier but I'll re-iterate it. YOu are unlikely to know what you want to do at this stage of your life so I would recommend you leave your options open.
Reply 14
Apotheke

If you know you want to do a job just for the money then I would perhaps go for the training scheme. But I'm not sure if this is really valued by employers...

a scheme with the top graduate employer/top professional services firm in the country?? like duh :rolleyes:

mate go with the job, once you have the accountancy qualification your lack of degree really won't matter, its not like you will even particularly need the skills from the degree for the job.

as fun as uni is, the debt you'll get into doing a non-vocational subject isnt really worth it, this is from someone studying a politics degree.
Reply 15
Wow, ppl, thanks for all the points of view, I really need many now!

The PWC office is in London and the offer I got from York uni...I am really confused now. As far as the career prospects goes, the contract they have sent me from PwC states clearly that if one passes his exams there is no limit to how high in the firm they can go (i asked if there was a catch and obviously the interviewer said that no, there wasn't. I also spoke to s'o who was on the programme and is now studying for the professional exams). Basically the initial contract is for 2 yrs - if you pass all your exams to get the CAT (Certified Accounting Technician) Programme, you are automatically considered for promotion and do automatically become as important as the graduates who join the firm, or should I say at the same level - salaries, duties, responsibilities, etc.

I have really been putting a serious thought into this recently. I got four more weeks to decide.

I hope you all don't spare me any comments.

XxX
d00m3d
Wow, ppl, thanks for all the points of view, I really need many now!

The PWC office is in London and the offer I got from York uni...I am really confused now. As far as the career prospects goes, the contract they have sent me from PwC states clearly that if one passes his exams there is no limit to how high in the firm they can go (i asked if there was a catch and obviously the interviewer said that no, there wasn't. I also spoke to s'o who was on the programme and is now studying for the professional exams). Basically the initial contract is for 2 yrs - if you pass all your exams to get the CAT (Certified Accounting Technician) Programme, you are automatically considered for promotion and do automatically become as important as the graduates who join the firm, or should I say at the same level - salaries, duties, responsibilities, etc.

I have really been putting a serious thought into this recently. I got four more weeks to decide.

I hope you all don't spare me any comments.

XxX

By "top 3 university" I assumed you meant LSE. 2 of my friends dropped out of Politics @ York because they found it too boring. Go for PwC - you 'save' yourself a year of your life careerwise, will gain the character development etc you get from uni by living in central London, and if it goes well you'll be an excellent example of how higher education is far from necessary to be successful.
PwC sounds like a great opportunity. But you need to make sure you wont hit a glass celing in the early days. A relative of mine became an Accounting Technician straight after he left school. He passed he exams without any problems, but found it very difficult to move into charterd accountancy. But from what I know, he didnt train in the big 4 firms. Im sure if you're ambitious enough, you will be able to move up the ranks, but you need to make sure you wont get stopped by not having the "typical" qualifications.
Nearly all chartered accountants have got to that position by following the path of a degree. And I would imagine 90%+ of PcW C. Accountant trainees will have a degree of some sort from a top 10 university. This leaves you in a disadvataged position if you chose to leave PcW, as nearly every other person of your calibre will have something that you dont have; a degree.
Reply 18
SinghFello
This leaves you in a disadvataged position if you chose to leave PcW, as nearly every other person of your calibre will have something that you dont have; a degree.

Yes this seems to bother me quite a little bit.

Jools
By a top 3 university I thought...
Yes, I have applied to LSE as well, only for IR. The Govt (as it is called at LSE) dep is not as good as the one in York. The IR dep is obviously top class, however the Government dep hasn't done as good as it could have in terms of research and teaching quality.
Reply 19
Jools
By "top 3 university" I assumed you meant LSE. 2 of my friends dropped out of Politics @ York because they found it too boring. Go for PwC - you 'save' yourself a year of your life careerwise, will gain the character development etc you get from uni by living in central London, and if it goes well you'll be an excellent example of how higher education is far from necessary to be successful.

What are the unis?

Latest

Trending

Trending