The Student Room Group

references for postgrad

Can someone please tell me how long references are supposed to be and are there specific points to be included or is it more general?

I am an EU student, but luckily will have two British professors who have agreed to give me references. As I read from other posts most know what they are supposed to write, but one of mine already asked me to be a little more specific.
So if any of you could help me with the above two questions, it would be highly appreciated.
Reply 1
Just ring the uni you're interested in and ask them what they want the references to say, then ring the professors and tell them. Easy peasy.
Reply 2
Usually, references ask for whoever's writing it to give details of your degree and an academic assessment of the student (a couple of universities I've applied to even provided little boxes to tick, correspinding to top 5/10/30% of the class!), as well as an evaluation of how suited they think the student would be for postgraduate study and how likely they are to meet the demands of the course. They'll also probably want to know in what capacity the referree knows you and for how long, how motivated you are, and, since you're applying to a UK university, to what kind of standard you can write or speak in English.

Many universities provide their own forms for referrees to fill out, as well as guidance notes. It might be worth looking at the university's applications website to see if they have any. Then you can just send your professor there to download a copy.

Latest

Trending

Trending