The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cambridge does. They require AAA at A Level but have no specific requirements at GCSE (appart from the obvious 5A*-C including Maths and English). They prefer you to have studied A Level Art and either Maths or Physics at AS.
You cannot be serious?!

Not another thread.

Go to the websites:

www.ox.ac.uk
www.cam.ox.uk

I think a rule of thumb should be if you have to ask, you can't get in.

Or if you haven't the common sense to look and do the research yourself, you cant get in.

GCSEs are not that important anyway.
Reply 3
JakeCordell
You cannot be serious?!

Not another thread.

Go to the websites:

www.ox.ac.uk
www.cam.ox.uk

I think a rule of thumb should be if you have to ask, you can't get in.

Or if you haven't the common sense to look and do the research yourself, you cant get in.

GCSEs are not that important anyway.

Great responses!
However, it's not right to say GCSEs aren't important, especially to Oxford and Cambridge.
I enrolled at college today and just scraped a chance at getting into their Oxbridge scheme with 4 A*s and 3 As - there was a 7 A requirement.

I know that my college's Oxbridge scheme doesn't represent the actual requirements, but my point it that you can't say that good grades aren't an advantage.

I completely agree with the laziness of some people though. I think all potential Oxbridge candidates should know how to use google to find and check a website!
AnonyMatt
Great responses!
However, it's not right to say GCSEs aren't important, especially to Oxford and Cambridge.
I enrolled at college today and just scraped a chance at getting into their Oxbridge scheme with 4 A*s and 3 As - there was a 7 A requirement.

I know that my college's Oxbridge scheme doesn't represent the actual requirements, but my point it that you can't say that good grades aren't an advantage.

I completely agree with the laziness of some people though. I think all potential Oxbridge candidates should know how to use google to find and check a website!

Yeah I agree completely, I don't mean to downplay the importance of GCSEs, but i feel they can be rectified. EG, i got 7As and 3Bs at GCSE, yet I am predicted AAA at A Level and should get that, so I am aiming at top universities, and hopefully should get accepted, despite comparatively low results.
Reply 5
AnonyMatt
Great responses!

Just because theres no requirements that makes no difference. Does no requirements mean people with straight Ds should apply. An also who better to ask than students who've been there and can say what results they got. Google cant give you infomation like current students can.
Not discrediting the post, and going back to my former point, it is important to understand the relevance of GCSEs.

OP says he got As, Bs and Cs ... this could be any amount of either. If you didn't get Maths and English as stated then there's no chance.

You need to focus on AS an A Levels now to get the AAA, without that your good GCSE grades will be worth nothing.
Reply 7
DamiWami
Does anyone know if Oxford and Cambridge offer a course in architecture?

and does anyone know if the above universities accept A,B and Cs in GCSEs and all As in Alevels?

thankyou:top:

So what grades did you get exactly?
Hey I got the exact same results. I even wanted to do Architecture, I still might want to. However, i'm probably going to try for something in the Medical field. Still, I even want to go to Oxbridge...

From what i've read about, you'll have to create an individualistic and impressive personal statement that will be stand out and be more enjoyable to read than everyone else's, plus at the interview you'll need to be extremely good too, and yeh, the A Levels, they pretty much need to be straight A's, probably better if you get straight A*'s from this point onwards. I certainly plan to. GCSE's count less, but will make the difference if you're on the same level as another candidate, but that's assuming you don't just blitz your A-Levels and everything else in the admission process.

I'd probably presume it'd be easier to get into Architecture at Cambridge than Medicine though so yeh, you've got a fairly good chance as long as you perform well overall.
of course
Reply 10
BAsically as a rule of thumb with GCSE's as long as youve shown an upwards progression at AS and you're personal statement is a killer then that should warrant an interview. I mean some people don't reach their full potential until Year 12 and they will not discriminate against you for it! GCSE's are important but they are not important enough to stop you from applying (unless you got a majority of grades below A then they start to be a problem)! So stop worrying bout it, do some research and honestly concentrate on AS/A2 get >90% on ur modules and you should be fine :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thanks to every1 that replied, except the odd few (you know who you are)
Reply 12
Apparently, you need a minimum of 7a/a*s to apply to oxbridge, I'm not sure about anyhting else though
You should apply if you are confident that you can make them irrelevant by performing in the admissions process.
Reply 14
While I don't believe having that kind of GCSEs would cause you to be rejected if you were clearly good enough, I don't think it's likely at all you are.

Basically, you're supposed to be commited, intelligent people. You haven't given any mitigating circumstances (they'd have to be pretty significant, major illness around exam time or something), so I assume it's just because you didn't work enough. If you were both very talented at and enjoyed the subjects you want to do (well, most relevant, art/mathsy things I think), you'd have A*s regardless.

We were actually told at open day that the lowest anyone got into my college with was 1A*, and mostly As. That was through the access scheme, with good reasons. You might get in, but I'd say your chance is only a small fraction of one percent at this point. If you do get 4 good As at AS, by all means try, but otherwise, there's virtually no point.
Not another one of these threads if you actually looked on this site im sure you would have found about a million others with the same question. GCSE's are only a small part of the whole admission score, just do well at A level. Saying that a side note, i have heard that architecture isnt the best at Oxford, with Oxford Brookes being a much better facility.
Reply 16
ive emailed cambridge ^^

once about GCSE's and the other about music being a soft subject

would you like me to post what they said? i want to do architecture too at Cambridge! ROCK ON DUDE!
Reply 17
my friend's mum, who has worked in 6th forms for nearly 20 years. Sorry if it's incorrect, it's only what I was told. :s-smilie:
Reply 18
gradu
ive emailed cambridge ^^

once about GCSE's and the other about music being a soft subject

would you like me to post what they said? i want to do architecture too at Cambridge! ROCK ON DUDE!

please do
If you look at my above post, I said that to join my college's particular Oxbridge scheme, I needed at least 7 As, which I only just scraped!

But, as I also said, this will differ between colleges I'm sure. It's just that my college has decided that anyone with less than that can't be expected to achieve the A levels necessary for Oxbridge admissions, in their experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending