The Student Room Group

A Level Choices.. HELP NEDDED!

Okay bascially I don't have a clue. I was hoping my GCSE results would decided it for me, but it really hasn't.

Months ago I thought for this combination, basically cos i thoguht i sucked at Maths and Sciences:

English Lit, Politics, Geography, French, Drama?

Since then I have been toying with the idea of medicine, and since getting AA in science and A* in Maths, I've been given the confidence that I could actually do it.

Basically, how do I keep all my options open. I really don't mind doing 5 AS Levels. I can always drop on at Christmas or whenever if it gets too much.

French is definet. And since my GCSEs I'm goingg to do Maths with Stats.
How do I keep Medicine, and a social science/arts degree open to me? I did think orignally I could jst do an arts programme, and apply for foundation if I really wanted to? Another thing that has been bugging me is that I got 100% in my drama GCSE; it's somethng I'm tlaneted at, but taking drama at college really won't help my uni aplication, and it's so unrespected.

Take a look at my sig, thank you for any advice is welcome. I'm so confused and I need to know in a few days time.:confused:

Scroll to see replies

For medicine, you need Chemistry and Biology (unless you want to go to UEA only who only require chemistry. Other universities want at least 2 sciences including chemistry, and where ever you go to you have to do a foundation course in Biology if you don't have it at A level)

Seeing as you're doing maths with stats, that leaves you 1 more choice.

I'd say pick a contrasting arts subject just to make your week more interesting (and UCL prefer it)..

And you have your contrasting subject, French. It's all sorted then :p:
Reply 2
Toiletpaper8
For medicine, you need Chemistry and Biology (unless you want to go to UEA only who only require chemistry. Other universities want at least 2 sciences including chemistry, and where ever you go to you have to do a foundation course in Biology if you don't have it at A level)

Seeing as you're doing maths with stats, that leaves you 1 more choice.

I'd say pick a contrasting arts subject just to make your week more interesting (and UCL prefer it)..

And you have your contrasting subject, French. It's all sorted then :p:

Yes... but then if i don;t want to do medicine and end up wanitng to geogrpahy or politics or english... i'm screwed with all sciences! could i just do chem and maths? or maybe bio and maths? i dont really like chem, but i love bio and maths :biggrin:
If you want to keep medicine as an option open and you want to do French and Maths with stats, then it'll have to be:

Bio, Chem, French, Maths with stats.
Reply 4
For Medicine you need Chemistry and often another Science subject (Maths is included as a Science) so really if you do Chemistry and Maths thats your medicine side covered.
You may want to also consider Biology, but i helped my mate search for a Uni for medicine and most offers required Chemistry and another Science, not specifically Biology.

Your doing French.

Now Chemistry and Maths are highly respected subjects, and im sure French would be too. So thats your 3 you'd need for your A-level offer.
So if your good at drama (and enjoy it) then take it, taking 1 subject that isnt as respected isn't going to hinder you.
You may want to take Art if you want to leave your art path open?

So you said 5 subjects:
Chemistry, Maths, French, Drama, Art
or
Chemistry, Maths, French...and 2 of Drama/Art/Biology
hazzypants
Yes... but then if i don;t want to do medicine and end up wanitng to geogrpahy or politics or english... i'm screwed with all sciences! could i just do chem and maths? or maybe bio and maths? i dont really like chem, but i love bio and maths :biggrin:

Biology is harder work at A level than Chem. Bio is really hard work, lots to learn...

Chemistry is a MUST for medicine at ANY medical school. Except UEA, all ask for at least 2 sciences, including Chemistry. If you don't do Biology, you will need to do a foundation course when you get to Uni, and for medicine, you need to be very motivated to do it. Not just maybe, or possibly, you have to have a genuine desire to do it. It's a hard journey, but if you're motivated enough and sort out work experience/voluntary work, then it should work out.

I'm sure some arts subjects are OK with any combo of "academic" subjects.

Plus, if you really want to keep those subjects open, then why not do something like...

Bio, Chem, English, Geo

Or something...
I just don't get why anyone who considers medicine as a serious career option would not pick Biology A-Level.

We'd want our doctors to know their way around the human body, plus, who would want to do a foundation course when they get to Uni?
French, Maths, Bio, Chem, English - the workload should be managable if you put the effort into it.
Reply 8
bubblewit
For Medicine you need Chemistry and often another Science subject (Maths is included as a Science) so really if you do Chemistry and Maths thats your medicine side covered.
You may want to also consider Biology, but i helped my mate search for a Uni for medicine and most offers required Chemistry and another Science, not specifically Biology.

Your doing French.

Now Chemistry and Maths are highly respected subjects, and im sure French would be too. So thats your 3 you'd need for your A-level offer.
So if your good at drama (and enjoy it) then take it, taking 1 subject that isnt as respected isn't going to hinder you.
You may want to take Art if you want to leave your art path open?

So you said 5 subjects:
Chemistry, Maths, French, Drama, Art
or
Chemistry, Maths, French...and 2 of Drama/Art/Biology

sorry i think i've confused you. By arts i mean ie, arts/sciences, arts meaning english lit, politics, geogpraphy, drama. I'm awful at art!
hazzypants
Okay bascially I don't have a clue. I was hoping my GCSE results would decided it for me, but it really hasn't.

Months ago I thought for this combination, basically cos i thoguht i sucked at Maths and Sciences:

English Lit, Politics, Geography, French, Drama?

Since then I have been toying with the idea of medicine, and since getting AA in science and A* in Maths, I've been given the confidence that I could actually do it.

Basically, how do I keep all my options open. I really don't mind doing 5 AS Levels. I can always drop on at Christmas or whenever if it gets too much.

French is definet. And since my GCSEs I'm goingg to do Maths with Stats.
How do I keep Medicine, and a social science/arts degree open to me? I did think orignally I could jst do an arts programme, and apply for foundation if I really wanted to? Another thing that has been bugging me is that I got 100% in my drama GCSE; it's somethng I'm tlaneted at, but taking drama at college really won't help my uni aplication, and it's so unrespected.

Take a look at my sig, thank you for any advice is welcome. I'm so confused and I need to know in a few days time.:confused:

http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/

Look on this site !

Well Done for your GCSE's
Reply 10
Toiletpaper8
I just don't get why anyone who considers medicine as a serious career option would not pick Biology A-Level.

We'd want our doctors to know their way around the human body, plus, who would want to do a foundation course when they get to Uni?

I love biology! but i'm willign to wait til uni to do it, if it means i can keep my options open. Research I've done has shown me you don't neeed bio for some courses, you do have 5 years learning anatomy etc!
hazzypants
I love biology! but i'm willign to wait til uni to do it, if it means i can keep my options open. Research I've done has shown me you don't neeed bio for some courses, you do have 5 years learning anatomy etc!

You'll be starting from scratch though lol. Medical school is already hard work, I just don't see why you should make it harder :p:

It's not like physics, which only covers a small bit on the physiology of the eye... Biology underpins medicine.

And you don't have 5 years learning anatomy :p: More like 1 year :p:

It's split between topics like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology, pathology etc
Reply 12
kizzypebbles
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/

Look on this site !

Well Done for your GCSE's

thnak you, and wow, this wesbite is good :biggrin:
Arrange some work experience, it might help you decide. :smile:
im so academic
French, Maths, Bio, Chem, English - the workload should be managable if you put the effort into it.

Agreed.
Reply 15
Toiletpaper8
Arrange some work experience, it might help you decide. :smile:

I'm in the process of doing so! thnak you :smile:
inksplodge
Agreed.

Finally someone agrees with me for the first time! This moment should be cherished!
Reply 17
I know you've been considering your A-level choices a while OP, my advice for you would be to take the five subjects you enjoy most, as you'd enjoy them more and therefore more likely to succeed at them.

Learn a lesson from your GCSE days; there is nothing worse than having to study a subject you don't like!
Reply 18
tomster
I know you've been considering your A-level choices a while OP, my advice for you would be to take the five subjects you enjoy most, as you'd enjoy them more and therefore more likely to succeed at them.

Learn a lesson from your GCSE days; there is nothing worse than having to study a subject you don't like!

If I do that then there's no chemistry... maybe applying for a foundation year would be alot better for me....
Reply 19

Latest