The Student Room Group

Ucl :s

I found this on the UCL website:

"The following factors are taken into account in deciding which applicants to invite for interview:

Predicted or actual grades. Although there is no simple relationship between academic performance and whether or not a student will make a ‘good’ doctor, there is some evidence that those with low grades or those who need to re-sit modules and examinations are more likely to have academic problems with the programme. The GCSEs will be used as a general indicator of the candidate’s academic background. "

Re-sit modules??? Individual ones? That's really harsh, what if you got an A an re-sat just to get a higher A? I thought loads of people re-sit even if they got good marks just to push them up a bit?
Have I just completely got the wrong idea?

Scroll to see replies

Well generally they will see someone who got a good grade the first time as 'better' than someone who had to retake modules to get the same grade... I guess it's to differentiate between students.
Reply 2
You know they aren't on about that; it's for people who do very badly.
Reply 3
if you resay to get a higher quality grade, i think you'd be fine.
Reply 4
So sounds like it's more to do with grades then actual marks... That's alright then.
Thanks
Don't they see what you originally got if you resit?
Yes, as you have to decalre your AS grades.
Speedbird2008
Yes, as you have to decalre your AS grades.

Even if you technically don't have AS grades (not cashed in)? My school says we don't have to declare them because of that?
callum9999
Even if you technically don't have AS grades (not cashed in)? My school says we don't have to declare them because of that?

In that case, okay.
Speedbird2008
In that case, okay.

Thats a relief! In that case, UCL wouldn't be able to see any module results and therefore know you re-took modules would they?
I was under the impression that universities now get all your module marks along with your overall grade from the exam board at results time - though I'm not sure whther that include results you'v re-sat.

Also, if I was an admissions officer I'd be quite suspicious of people who don't declare their AS results!
While you might not have to declare your AS grades if they're not cashed in (which they won't be in the 3 subjects you take on to A2 level), your academic reference must contain your AS actual or predicted grades, so be careful about tripping up over that.
I don't think it concerns people who are re-siting so they can increase their A from 85/100 to 96/100. Its aimed more at people who do really badly first time around.
theatrical
Also, if I was an admissions officer I'd be quite suspicious of people who don't declare their AS results!

It's standard practice not to cash them in at a lot of schools. Well, at least at mine...
Reply 14
Completely random question here but seeing as UCL guarantee an interview to anyone who scores above 19 in the BMAT would that mean that if i applied with my A-level results of ABB but got over 19 in the BMAT then i would still get an interview despite the fact that UCL don't usually consider resit applicants. Just wondering if good performance in the BMAT would make up for my A-level grades (if it makes any difference i was only 4 marks off an A in physics).

I'm not even applying for medicine by the way i am merely curious as to what would happen in this situation.
Liar
Completely random question here but seeing as UCL guarantee an interview to anyone who scores above 19 in the BMAT would that mean that if i applied with my A-level results of ABB but got over 19 in the BMAT then i would still get an interview.

Yes, you'd get an interview.
And UCL do consider resit applicants, as long as you applied to us the first time.
Reply 16
Spencer Wells
Yes, you'd get an interview.
And UCL do consider resit applicants, as long as you applied to us the first time.

and were given an offer surely???
Nope.
It used to be that you had to have a offer and accepted it as firm before you were allowed to reapply with resits, but that requirement was removed a couple of years ago.
Reply 18
Spencer Wells
Nope.
It used to be that you had to have a offer and accepted it as firm before you were allowed to reapply with resits, but that requirement was removed a couple of years ago.

what about if you get an interview and then are rejected after interview, can you re apply the following cycle??
Reply 19
Spencer Wells
Nope.

While you're here, UCL sent me a load of forms to fill in, including one for some new fangled NHS smart card thing thats apparently run by a private company with the endorsement of the RUMS dean.

I don't want my health/immunisation records on some company's database, and there dosn't seem to be any point to this since my medical certificate has already been issued.

Any idea what this is?

Latest

Trending

Trending