The Student Room Group

Start date for Freshers

I've got a place at Christ's for maths and today I received my Fresher's pack and in it a letter from my Tutor saying to be in Cambridge by 3pm on the 30th September, but everywhere else I look it says the first day is the 5th October and you can't come in before then. I'm sure it's not a typing error or anything but has anyone else received something like this?
Reply 1
There is no reason that the letter is incorrect, but if you are worried about it then email the college. No one on here can really say any definitively that its wrong.
Reply 2
DaveSimpson
I've got a place at Christ's for maths and today I received my Fresher's pack and in it a letter from my Tutor saying to be in Cambridge by 3pm on the 30th September, but everywhere else I look it says the first day is the 5th October and you can't come in before then. I'm sure it's not a typing error or anything but has anyone else received something like this?

I think you maths lot go up earlier for preparatory work... Anyway, if your tutor tells you you're coming earlier, that probably means you are. :p:
I've been told to go up for the 4th...
Reply 4
I think some colleges get their maths people up earlier, so it's probably true. But just email them and ask!
Reply 5
I would say it's generally true, as maths and some classic people go up a week early for "pre-freshers" week, where you do extra supervisions and work and stuff....
Reply 6
Yeah they expect you to be there for 'Geek Week'
Reply 7
Oh sorry I missed the maths bit. Yes you will go up early for geek week, so the date in the letter will be correct.
Reply 8
Ok thanks for the info, can't wait for "geek week" yeah!
Sorry umm...what exactly is geek week? :p:
Freshers in certain subjects go to Cambridge a few days/a week before everyone else in order to start some work. These subjects may include maths, engineering and classics.
Nina
Freshers in certain subjects go to Cambridge a few days/a week before everyone else in order to start some work. These subjects may include maths, engineering and classics.

So basically that means I have to ask my College what day they want me to arrive there?
Reply 12
Well no, they'll tell you

If you're an international or something and it is necessary to know now for flights then yes you could ask, but I'm sure they'll contact before you need to book your flights anyway

EDIT/ Alright, you are an international
Reply 13
chris1200
John's are also going up weirdly earlier than everyone else (1st Oct). My instructions are a bit weird... told to come up on the afternoon of the 5th... but can also come up in the morning... or even on the 4th if I want to! 4th it is! :smile:

I was a bit confused about that too! Our original accommodation form said 4th, the TCSU seems to say 4th or 5th, and our new accommodation letter says 5th, but if that's inconvenient, contact them for permission to go on 4th :confused:
Email time methinks
Reply 14
*jealous of the geek week people* (My college don't appear to do it)
chris1200
John's are also going up weirdly earlier than everyone else (1st Oct). My instructions are a bit weird... told to come up on the afternoon of the 5th... but can also come up in the morning... or even on the 4th if I want to! 4th it is! :smile:

How'd ya know those of us at John's are going up earlier?

I've heard that we're going up on the 1st, but i haven't had a freshers pack yet, and was expecting them to tell us in those that we'd be coming up a little later:confused:
chris1200
The people I know going there have been told the 1st... by who, I don't know sorry.

ah, don't worry. Probably something to do with the JCR president saying so on the facebook group. I'm sure things will be clarified soon enough. Though all this collegiate stuff does complicate things - what with everyone going up at different times!
Reply 17
My college (Christ's) told me to come on the 5th to see tutors ect.

Latest

Trending

Trending