The Student Room Group

How accurate are entry requirments?

I've seen entry requirments on UCAS for a foundation year at C C C , i emailed the head of the department at the univeristy they said yes C C C is right. I want to know if they are telling the truth - It's a top 20 univerisity - Does that mean my offer will be C C C - This year the course was in clearing - does that mean it must be C C C?

It cant be C C C , thats too low , but it must be ?!

I got AAB in my as levels this year so i'm sure i can get C C C .
Reply 1
Some are accurate and some aren't. For example:

Edinburgh - Accounting & Finance - BBBB (Scottish Highers)
Compared with...
Glasgow - Accounting & Finance - AAABB

I reckon if you applied to Edinburgh with the minimum BBBB you more than likely wouldn't stand a chance (seeing as it's one of the top Uni's in Scotland).

Bearing this in mind, even though the minimum is CCC the offer is more likely to be around BBB (don't quote me on that one though, I'm not really familiar with the English system).
Reply 2
Jack Sparrow
I've seen entry requirments on UCAS for a foundation year at C C C , i emailed the head of the department at the univeristy they said yes C C C is right. I want to know if they are telling the truth - It's a top 20 univerisity - Does that mean my offer will be C C C - This year the course was in clearing - does that mean it must be C C C?

As minimum entry requirements, they will be accurate. However, as teabreak points out, at some unis most people who get offers will have been predicted (a lot) more than the minimum requirements. It depends on the uni and the course. Foundation years do tend to have lower entry requirements, though. Sometimes the Scottish unis will exempt people with much higher grades than the standard entry requirements from their first year.
Reply 3
Jack Sparrow

The entry requirement is low because its a foundation course.
With those grades though I think you could probably apply for the actual course, as opposed to a foundation year.
Reply 4
Jack Sparrow

Yes it is accurate (in the sense that if they make an offer it will be CCC).
But it may be misleading as they may not make an offer even though your predicted grades are a lot higher than CCC.
e.g. I know this happens with economics
Yes as people have said, the low entry requirments could be because it is a foundation degree.

Its important to bear in mind that the requirments are just guidelines. Some people who apply will have much higher grades, some may get in on lower ones if the course is in clearing or there are spaces left.

Obviously most people will get offers of CCC, but others may get slightly lower or higher offers.
mollymustard
Yes as people have said, the low entry requirments could be because it is a foundation degree.

Its important to bear in mind that the requirments are just guidelines. Some people who apply will have much higher grades, some may get in on lower ones if the course is in clearing or there are spaces left.

Obviously most people will get offers of CCC, but others may get slightly lower or higher offers.

Its at the Univeristy of Sheffield, what offer did they give you?
the grade requirments u see listed on their prospectus are usually MINIUM grade requirments, so you should really expect to get higher than that for competitive courses
Reply 8
billykwok
the grade requirments u see listed on their prospectus are usually MINIUM grade requirments, so you should really expect to get higher than that for competitive courses

No, for really competitive courses they just have higher typical offers.
Reply 9
Paulwhy
No, for really competitive courses they just have higher typical offers.
In general yes, but there are specific examples such as Edinburgh where they really do make BBB offers as standard, but in some subjects - like History and English, for example - most applicants need to be predicted/have much higher grades than that to get one.
Reply 10
Is this Aberdeen by any chance? I think their standard offer is CCC, like Edinburgh's is BBB. Although those who get in have more often than not better grades.
Reply 11
Draconis
Is this Aberdeen by any chance? I think their standard offer is CCC, like Edinburgh's is BBB. Although those who get in have more often than not better grades.
No, I cited Edinburgh specifically; I don't know about Aberdeen, or Glasgow for that matter -
Reply 12
Minerva
No, I cited Edinburgh specifically; I don't know about Aberdeen, or Glasgow for that matter -

I seem to recall that a lot of Aberdeen's courses have CCC as entry requirements.. Could be wrong though.
Reply 13
Minerva
In general yes, but there are specific examples such as Edinburgh where they really do make BBB offers as standard, but in some subjects - like History and English, for example - most applicants need to be predicted/have much higher grades than that to get one.

Maybe it is my bad but I had interpreted billkwok as meaning that unis for competive course printed one typical offer whilst typically making offers at a higher level (this I would disagree with!). But yes for comptetive courses the average student has much more qualifications than that demaned by the typical offer. For example with economics at Cambridge the typical offer is AAA (360) but the mean student has 528 points, the modal student has 600+ points and the median student has 560-590 points

And yes Edinburgh really do make BBB offers economics. But they want other qualities other than just being predicted BBB.e.g.
i)from school were few students go to uni
ii)Be local (e.g. Edinburgh) or from locality (e.g. Scottish, North of England).
iii)Parents not go to uni
iv)disrupted education
Reply 14
Have you looked at the Unistats website.

Information is at subject area level, not course level, but it does show what tariff score accepted applicants achieved.

C05_economics.GIF

Steve
Jack Sparrow
Its at the Univeristy of Sheffield, what offer did they give you?

I got the offer stated in the prospectus, but obviously that was from English admissions so it may be different for science.

Birmingham offered me ABB though, when the prospectus and UCAS stated the minimum offer was AAB.

Sussex gave me an offer of AAA when they stated AAA-AAB.

As you can see it really varies, but most do just stick to the standard offer.
Reply 16
mollymustard
I got the offer stated in the prospectus, but obviously that was from English admissions so it may be different for science.

Birmingham offered me ABB though, when the prospectus and UCAS stated the minimum offer was AAB.

Sussex gave me an offer of AAA when they stated AAA-AAB.

As you can see it really varies, but most do just stick to the standard offer.

Are you sure it said minimum offer and not typical offer?
Paulwhy
Are you sure it said minimum offer and not typical offer?

Yes, sorry that was unclear. UCAS stated it was their typical offer, but on an open day the admissions tutor told us it was the minimum offer.
Reply 18
mollymustard
Yes, sorry that was unclear. UCAS stated it was their typical offer, but on an open day the admissions tutor told us it was the minimum offer.

fair enough.

And yes there is variation there are a lot of unis that have on UCAS typical offers e.g. (like Sussex do) AAA-AAB. and so some students get offered AAA and some AAB.

Latest

Trending

Trending