because it's an exothermic occurence.
Reply 2
vinny2256

oh yeah - good point. thanks mate
Reply 3
vinny2256

This is possibly the worst answer you can give.
Reply 4
Ralfskini
This is possibly the worst answer you can give.

lol fine them smart ass.

When water molecules form polar bonds with the ion, much energy is given out as the polar bonds are of a lower energy level than the ionic bonds thus this energy is dissipated as heat to the surrounding solution. The higher the charge density of the ion in solution, the easier it is for it to gain/lose electrons. The overall process involves the ions being attracted to the water molecules thus more energy OUT than what is taken IN.
vinny2256
lol fine them smart ass.

When water molecules form polar bonds with the ion, much energy is given out as the polar bonds are of a lower energy level than the ionic bonds thus this energy is dissipated as heat to the surrounding solution. The higher the charge density of the ion in solution, the easier it is for it to gain/lose electrons. The overall process involves the ions being attracted to the water molecules thus more energy OUT than what is taken IN.

Just one problem, what are polar bonds? I think you might be talking about the ion-dipole interaction of the hydration shell. Still a poor answer.

look here:

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/applychem/hydration.html
Reply 6
make bonds = lose potential energy = gain kinetic energy = raise temperature of mixture = lose heat to surroundings = exothermic
that would be my guess....
The energy of hydration is always negative because of the strong ion-solvent interactions, i.e. the ions are more energetically stable when solvated.

However, this does not equate to heat energy being released on solvation of an ionic solid. One has to set up a Born-Haber cycle with the lattice energy and the energy of hydration in order to work out the energy of solvation (which can be either negative or positive).

Latest

Trending

Trending