Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA Higher Science P1, C1 & B1 Maximum Marks?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sat my papers in June and got my results, all's well but I can't remember the maximum marks so I have no clue as to how well I done...

Also, do you think I should re-sit my chemistry if I can? Just comparing it to my other results makes me think I should.

Chemistry - 74
    Biology - 93
    Physics - 98

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I would personally say re-sit the Chemistry, I got 78 in B1, so i decided to retake, It all depends on what you want in the end! I have a feeling that the maximum mark was 45 but i can't be sure.
    BTW you don't have much chance of finding your raw mark because the mark you are given is done by the UMS scale which can be a bit misleading and will change every year and will be different in every subject depending on how hard the exam was. For Example, I did P1, C1, and B1 in Jan 2008, I got something like 29/45 on C1 which you think would give me like a C, I got 94 or something on the UMS scale which meant I got an A*, It's very misleading!

EDIT: You maybe be able to get your raw marks from your teacher in september
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the UMS scale?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ask your teacher for advice, they should know.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maximum for written papers is 45. You can find the raw to UMS on the AQA site.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Uniform Mark Scale, it basically is when the raw marks are adjusted and messed around with to give a mark out of 100 (it's all dependent on the difficulty of the paper and how the rest of the country found it! so on a really hard paper you could need 25/45 for 90% UMS marks, whereas on an easy one you may need 37/45 for 90% UMS marks), it basically means that once all the marks are adjusted there are easy to understand boundaries meaning an A* needs 90% UMS, An A needs 80% UMS etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato123)
    Ask your teacher for advice, they should know.
    But I don't want to wait 2 weeks to find out how well I've done

*Goes off to AQA*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicyvix)
    Uniform Mark Scale, it basically is when the raw marks are adjusted and messed around with to give a mark out of 100 (it's all dependent on the difficulty of the paper and how the rest of the country found it! so on a really hard paper you could need 25/45 for 90% UMS marks, whereas on an easy one you may need 37/45 for 90% UMS marks), it basically means that once all the marks are adjusted there are easy to understand boundaries meaning an A* needs 90% UMS, An A needs 80% UMS etc
    So will the results on my paper be in UMS?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you request the paper back the results should be in raw mark, but I've found them on the website if that's any help, it has the raw marks and UMS marks separtly but with all hope you should be able to convert it!

http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/...OUND-JUN08.PDF
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, Thank you guys.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 24, 2008
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.