The Student Room Group
yes however maths may be a problem. Just do well at A level and don't worry about your GCSE results :smile:
Reply 2
No, but Tesco's are in dire need of cashiers.
I got in with 5A 4Bs if I can get in you can to.
Reply 4
not really, remember the competition is fierce, so you will be competing with people with straight A*s at GCSEs
however if you manage to get AAAa in your A levels and do well in UKCAT and BMAT, then there is a very good chance of you getting a place for medicine
just make sure you work hard for your Alevels
olliecapehorn
yes however maths may be a problem. Just do well at A level and don't worry about your GCSE results :smile:

Why would maths be a problem?

I thought a B in Maths and English was the minimum . . . . . I think your GCSE grades are good, just make sure you get AAA/AAB at A-level with the AA in chemistry and biology, get lots of volunteering work in different medical areas, write a killer personal statement, do well in your UKCAT and BMAT (if applicable) and hopefully you should do well ... remember that all the emphasis is not placed on your GCSE grades

you don't need to ask people in here if your grades are good enough for medicine, look at the universities you want to apply to and look at their entry requirements, some will specifiy 5 A grades, others may want B in english, maths and science, etc ... you have to do the research using the websites of the potential universities you may apply to ... if you're confused just give the admissions tutor a ring and I am sure they will help you with any queries
Reply 6
B in Maths is not a problem. Some ask for 'B at GCSE if not available at AS' for example. They are good IMO but not good enough for Cambridge or Oxford as it is very competetive there and they also aint good enough for Birmingham as they require 7A* to even be considered..I would say concentrate on your A levels and whenyou apply i'm positive one uni will give you an offer...at least one for sure.
Reply 7
Constante
No, but Tesco's are in dire need of cashiers.

[sarcasm/ ] ?

I hope!!
Reply 8
Nice one i feel better now but got 73/100 in chem and 98/100 in physice....i chose chem as an a level :redface:
The advice I gave earlier in this thread lacked substance so ill add some now, in all honesty your grades are below average for a medicine applicant. However it is not in anyway going to prevent you from doing medicine ( however it will bar you from certain universities e.g Birmingham). You will be able to have a good shot at medicine if you do well in your As i.e ABBB to A*A*A*A* and you have good extracurriculars and work experience also your able to do well in Bmat/Ukcat. Nothing is out of reach, just do research into university's and see what they want. Good luck.
Reply 10
What you got at GCSE chem does not mean you're not capable of getting something better at A level. If you're willing to work hard if not harder at A level to get the grade A then I see no reason why you can't if you have the passion for Medicine. I do think you have a chance.
Also, dont apply to manchester, they are quite strict on GCSE's too ...

Good Luck
Reply 12
any uni's u reccomend? looking for london area
Reply 13
Concentrate on your A levels now OP.
I'm not sure to be honest, I don't know much about the entry requirements to medicine. You'll have to do some research, sometimes I think students are too lazy to do the most basic task, it won't take you long if you're looking to stay in the London are. But I suggest you think about applying to unis outside of london too due to the number of applicants london unis receive each year.

Don't worry us Northerners don't bite!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending