The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
PinkMobilePhone
Try talking to the poor person that's named Number 16 Bus Shelter and ask the same question!

Those are my middle names. I tend to abbreviate.
supersteiger
Louise. I can meet someone 10 times, they recognise me, we chat, and then they call me Lauren, or Laura, or Louisa. Or worse, they say, "Yeah, you look like a Louise..."
What, I look boring as hell?

At least I dodged Maureen as a first name! Can you imagine... :no:

I alway, always get called Laura. Even people I've know for years still slip up. I don't understand how it's so hard.
Amy_J
Those are my middle names. I tend to abbreviate.

very wise
Oh god, Teachers can't read my name correctly off the register at all; It's Sian. I get called everything which pretty much sucks but when ever people ask my name and I tell them they're always like "That's a pretty name"
I like names which are more unusual to the everyday names etc..
Well I've got a foreign name, so people instantly know I'm Asian! :biggrin:

I don't make many assumptions based on someone's name, though if someone's got a chavvy-sounding name, I have a bad tendency to immediately stereotype them...

As I've got an Asian name, most people don't know the translation, but if I tell them, they think it matches my character very well ("Peaceful Lady War Lion") :biggrin:
Reply 25
I prefer traditional names like Jane, Maria, Sarah, Edward, Charles, James etc.

You can't go far wrong with those because people won't pre-judge you. If you have a name like 'Destiny' - some people might have a pre-conception of you. Especially at job interviews and stuff.
My name's Rebecca and there were 3 in my form at school so I was always "Rebecca number 2" or "the other one"

but other than that my name hasn't affected my life. No misconceptions or anything :smile:
Valkyrja
My best friend is due to give birth to her first child in a few weeks, so recently I've been bombarded with links to baby name sites etc. I have noticed that quite a few sites have features on the relationship between a persons name and how successful they are in life...and certainly how they are treated by others...

For instance people with 'regal' sounding names like Elizabeth or Charles tend to be treated better by teachers than those with names like Xanya or Romeo...

Just wondering what your guys experiences of 'living with your name' were and whether you think you are greatly affected by your name in terms of how people perceive you without meeting you?

Do you make assumptions based on names?

Teachers make a lot of assumptions about names, they will automatically be wary of a child called Jamie or Liam or any unusual names cos they are almost always the naughty ones. Matthew's and Henry's tend to be quite good children. My mum is a teacher and she has seen them all (including an unfortunate child named Tia Maria).

I try not to make assumptions based on peoples names but if i have met more than one person with a similar trait all with the same name, i tend to expect that trait in all of them. I had never met a nice Kirsty out of knowing about 4 and was very wary of a new Kirsty at work but turned out she is lovely.
I get called Rebecca constantly just because it begins with the same letter as my name.

I used get really ****ty with people calling me Rach but i've kind got used to it now but still hate it with people who dontl know me very well. I find it rude to abbreviate the name of someone you dont know unless they intoduced themselves as an abbreviation. For example my boyfriend's mum introduced herself as Susan so i always called her Susan and she has since stated she hates being called Sue and i have a friend whose name is Susan but she introduced herself as Sue, had she introduced herself as Susan i would have called her that until invited to call her Sue.
Reply 28
hippieglitter
Teachers make a lot of assumptions about names, they will automatically be wary of a child called Jamie or Liam or any unusual names cos they are almost always the naughty ones.

:frown:

I found this in Private Eye (which they found in the Daily Telegraph):

Births
ARCHER - On 26th July 2008 to Katy (née Jones) and Edward, a daughter, Florentina Emilie, a sister for Georgina, Christopher, Charlie, Clementina, Gabriella, Montgomery, Cordelia, Angelina, Seraphina, Decima and Delphine.

Make your own assumptions.
Reply 29
Democracy
Too many people say my name wrong, I hate it when teachers try and read it off the register without asking how to say it, so I always have to correct them. They all probably think I'm a pedantic ****, but I don't care :p:

Join the club! :rolleyes:
Reply 30
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Democracy

Too many people say my name wrong, I hate it when teachers try and read it off the register without asking how to say it, so I always have to correct them. They all probably think I'm a pedantic ****, but I don't care.

This.
Reply 31
read freakonomics.
Reply 32
DeepStar
Join the club! :rolleyes:

I wanna join.. :eek:

Yeah happens to me a lot too.. but different people pronounce my name differently so it's no problem..
i have two names

lauren - people treated me like i was stupid, common and very rarely used my name.
So....i changed it
Laurie - always get comments like "i like your name, you're cool" and "ooo your name sounds sexy" heheh i liked that comment.

names really do make a difference to how people treat you But..... you can always change it later on in life
Reply 34
Rei
I wanna join.. :eek:

Yeah happens to me a lot too.. but different people pronounce my name differently so it's no problem..

Welcome to the club :p:

Most people cant pronounce mine at all because its odd with the wording etc but recently I shortened it so now its not too much of an issue :biggrin:
Reply 35
I have a really Jewish name, so I tend to find that some people treat me differently, but I've not had a problem teacher or anything before. When they do treat me differently it's just a bit of racist abuse, which I reckon would happen anyway if they found out I'm a Jew. The name just gets it out of the way more quickly. Lovely jubbly.
Reply 36
Synagogue
I have a really Jewish name, so I tend to find that some people treat me differently, but I've not had a problem teacher or anything before. When they do treat me differently it's just a bit of racist abuse, which I reckon would happen anyway if they found out I'm a Jew. The name just gets it out of the way more quickly. Lovely jubbly.

You're JEWISH?!, oh god everybody hide. :eek:
Miss_Scarlett
kathryn is my name- no problems apart from when people come to spell it. :p:
Some people shorten it to kat...my grandma shortens it to kate lol.

My name's Kathryn too.. nobody ever spells it right. Come to think of it.. very few people even say it right. It's usually 'Kafryn' or 'Katheryn'. There's no F and only two syllables in it, thanks very much!!

I'm Kat, Kate or Katie.. I'll answer to pretty much anything :eek:
Reply 38
Rei
You're JEWISH?!, oh god everybody hide. :eek:

Yeah, who'd have thought it, eh? Now go away before I beat you with my Jew stick.
Reply 39
My name is Kamil
Its roman ...Arabic....Polish...russian...czech...spanish...italian.

I think my name is kinda cool because its cross-cultral...so maybe you should think outside the school!

I get people from around the world thinking im from there!!
and im black..so its even more funny when a polish dude says...hey are you from poland!!:eek: :eek:

mostly i jus give....no but iv been there:cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending