The Student Room Group

Choosing my 5: HISTORY

Trying to choose my 5 unis to apply to.
More than likely will be doing V100 History.
So far I am applying to Queens Belfast and Edinburgh.
I need some advice on unis with a good record for history.

Please rember Oxbridge, the london unis, warwick and durham are out of the question as I only have 3 AS levels.

THANX
Reply 1
St Andrews, Bristol, Bath.. Just some suggestions. :smile:
Reply 2
You could also consider the following: Birmingham, Southampton, Bristol, Nottingham, and York. They are all good universities overall and for history, and AFAIK don't require anything more than three A-Levels.
Reply 3
Cate15

Well, what areas of History are you most interested in? Medieval? Modern? Social? Economic? British? European? etc.

Cate15
Please rember Oxbridge, the london unis, warwick and durham are out of the question as I only have 3 AS levels.

Are you sure about that? I didn't think they discriminated along those lines ...
Reply 4
Wise One
Well, what areas of History are you most interested in? Medieval? Modern? Social? Economic? British? European? etc.

Are you sure about that? I didn't think they discriminated along those lines ...

Exactly. A lot of people I know got into History courses at places like UCL/KCL/Durham with 3 A levels. The OP shouldn't be discounting them for that reason.
Reply 5
Admonitor
Exactly. A lot of people I know got into History courses at places like UCL/KCL/Durham with 3 A levels. The OP shouldn't be discounting them for that reason.

3 AS levels. The top universities like you to have four ASs and 3 A2s.
Reply 6
Wise One

According to the prospectuses for Warwick, UCL, and KCL, an additional AS-Level is required (so in total, three A-Levels and one AS-Level).
Reply 7
Admonitor

And with three A grades at AS, surely it would - at the very least - be worth contacting them to see whether there's any flexibility?
Reply 8
Draconis
3 AS levels. The top universities like you to have four ASs and 3 A2s.

Ah right, missed that. But still, not all of them require a fourth AS though.
Reply 9
Admonitor
Ah right, missed that. But still, not all of them require a fourth AS though.

As far as I know, Durham doesn't mention it.
Reply 10
Cate15

THANX

University of Sheffield
University of Liverpool --both have 5A academic rating.
Reply 11
My 5 at the moment are...

Bristol, York, Warwick, Southampton and Sheffield. Possibly changing 1/2 to somewhere like Newcastle or Nottingham.

Let me know if you want to talk about any of those in particular. As long as your 3 A-levels are good, you should be ok, although obviously disadvantaged..
Reply 12
Sam o0o
My 5 at the moment are...

Bristol, York, Warwick, Southampton and Sheffield. Possibly changing 1/2 to somewhere like Newcastle or Nottingham.

Let me know if you want to talk about any of those in particular. As long as your 3 A-levels are good, you should be ok, although obviously disadvantaged..

I was considering Bristol and York.
Bit worried about whether i'll be able to gte a part time job there.
Im not getting financial aid from my parents so I need somewhere with plenty of employment oppertunities while studying.
Reply 13
Cate15
I was considering Bristol and York.
Bit worried about whether i'll be able to gte a part time job there.
Im not getting financial aid from my parents so I need somewhere with plenty of employment oppertunities while studying.

Well Bristol was full of little shops and restaurants etc when I went there. So I'd guess it would be fairly easy to find work. York is quieter, but I've not been myself, so can't comment..
Reply 14
Why don't you just do an AS level next year?
Reply 15
I would have thought that not having a 4th AS will be a problem with Durham as they're incredibly picky about grades.
Fruliz
both have 5A academic rating.

RAE ratings don't matter as much for UG as they do for PG so you can take or leave it. Plus, something worth considing even more - those ratings are now almost 8yrs out of date and come this December, they will all change.

Latest