The Student Room Group

What's a better environment - Sixth Form or College?

Scroll to see replies

College

Seriously its a much more positive environment, people get along a bit better too
Sixth Form:

+ Lots of the kids will already know each other from GCSEs
+ There will be a fairly well establish hierarchy
+ The atmosphere is more school-like, and the teachers are often much more strict
+ The education tends to be more pushy than in college

College:

+ Lots of different people from lots of different backgrounds doing lots of different subjects
+ Less of an established hierarchy and 'playground' mentality
+ More independent learning
+ More casual atmosphere
Reply 22
Ive just left sixth form and ive gotta say it was 2 of the best years!

Obviously you're in a environment you already know etc but it was like the previous 5 years we had all spent together were forgotten about and everybody got along and stuff (Obviously this cant be said for everywhere).
I found you were pushed when it came to work,deadlines etc but there was also the element of it being our choice and if you didnt want to do it for yourself then that was up to you.

I suppose its down to you and which you think suits you better. Dont just go on generalisation.
Reply 23
I went to 6th form because I knew most of the teachers and most of my friends went to the same school so they would go there aswell.
In retrospect, Sixth Form is a better environment for learning and friends (in my case, anyway), but if you want to really learn how **** the outside world is, which I suspect you may already have done, go to college.
Reply 25
Most of my friends went to college, few weeks later they dropped out and came back to Sixth form whereas others dropped Sixth form to join college. I think it depends on the kind of learner you are - Sixth form in my opinion is a more comfortable and friendly environment to learn in whereas college is more open to the outside world issues. Everyone is different so it comes down to where you want to be.
I don't think you can say one is better than the other, everyone is different and people will be suited and more comfortable to different environments.
Reply 27
IMO You'll find 'less of them' at a 6th form. But that's only from my pov from anecdotes.
Ramadulla
College - if you want to doss around a bit a bit or have more flexibility without getting told off. Simple: If you're not too fussed about academia.

Sixth-form - if you are academic and want extra attention, keep to schedules and try and get the best A-level results. This is because they will chase you after your coursework, homework and assignments; make sure you're prepared for exams by having a lot more lessons as opposed to College and just generally give you more attention.

Ahem. College - if you are academic, keep to schedules (but aren't stupid enough to need babying), and try to get the best A-level results off your own back. If you want to be prepared properly for uni and get used to having to meet deadlines without intense pressure from teachers. A lot of self-development, the attainment of independence. An opportunity to prove yourself, spread your wings, and finally be able to do what you like and have all the consequences on you. A more relaxed, mature atmosphere. Simple: if you want to have a good time whilst you learn, and be really ready for uni.

Sixth-form - if you still need your mother to tie your shoes in the morning, can't manage your time, and want to be treated like a child and forced into a pointlessly huge workload. Or if you're a bit of a snob and wouldn't hang out with the riff-raff of a college environment!
GlitterGlue
Ahem. College - if you are academic, keep to schedules (but aren't stupid enough to need babying), and try to get the best A-level results off your own back. If you want to be prepared properly for uni and get used to having to meet deadlines without intense pressure from teachers. A lot of self-development, the attainment of independence. An opportunity to prove yourself, spread your wings, and finally be able to do what you like and have all the consequences on you. A more relaxed, mature atmosphere. Simple: if you want to have a good time whilst you learn, and be really ready for uni.

Sixth-form - if you still need your mother to tie your shoes in the morning, can't manage your time, and want to be treated like a child and forced into a pointlessly huge workload. Or if you're a bit of a snob and wouldn't hang out with the riff-raff of a college environment!

Well said!
The sixth form stuff is maybe a little nasty, but I can see you're just mimicking his annoying original post.
Arent colleges full of, like, impoverished chavs and paysans ?
Reply 31
i went to a college.. i didnt like it.. so i ended up going to my sixth form.. it was just like school just without uniform lol
Though college is really fun and lively.. i heard everyone i know who went to a college flopped.
domino0806
Arent colleges full of, like, impoverished chavs and paysans ?

Yeah, just like sixth forms are full of snobby private school toffs.

That was sarcasm if you couldn't tell
scaryhair
Yeah, just like sixth forms are full of snobby private school toffs.

That was sarcasm if you couldn't tell

Yah, whatever trevor... no but seriously aren't they?:confused:
domino0806
Yah, whatever trevor... no but seriously aren't they?:confused:

:rolleyes:
I really hope you're joking.
BTW... what's a toff?
Reply 36
I think Sixth Form.
I've never been to a sixth form, but personally I think college is better (for me).

I don't like all the rules and that of school, so I prefer college.
Rehehelly
I've never been to a sixth form, but personally I think college is better (for me).

I don't like all the rules and that of school, so I prefer college.

so you say college is better due to its anarchist and chavvy nature?
domino0806
so you say college is better due to its anarchist and chavvy nature?

My college isn't chavvy nor anarchist. We follow the rules there are, but it's not like school.

More independent. Less formal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending