The Student Room Group

Starting a personal statement with a quote?

Scroll to see replies

im so academic
say, "the works of [insert name here] gave me an interest in economics" or something like that.

you really think that's selling yourself?:s-smilie:
everybody says you shouldnt use a quote - but im inclined to agree with them on face value.

but when i look into it - can some actually tell me why i shouldnt? whats the big deal - it shows you read a lot around your subject, it shows your interested, and if you do it correctly why shouldnt you use it ?
The Lyceum
Start with an insult, that would shock and suprise them.

:ditto:

"Adam Smith was an idiot, and you are too for believing his ****. No, just kidding. I have been interested in economics ever since I was a baby..."

Look out, Oxbridge! :woo:

OP: quotes, parents, etc. are big No-Nos
Sports Racer
:ditto:

"Adam Smith was an idiot, and you are too for believing his ****. No, just kidding. I have been interested in economics ever since I was a baby..."

Look out, Oxbridge! :woo:

OP: quotes, parents, etc. are big No-Nos

:confused: What's wrong with that?

I mentioned my Daddy in mine :puppyeyes:
I don't get it. Why should a catchy quote/opening line be boring?
Start with something that changed your mind and made you want to do economics. Like, for example, 'after reading about the stockmarket crash when I was 15...'

or something. It's what I did with mine. It's real, not cheesy, believable. Sorted.
Reply 26
eulerwaswrong
everybody says you shouldnt use a quote - but im inclined to agree with them on face value.

but when i look into it - can some actually tell me why i shouldnt? whats the big deal - it shows you read a lot around your subject, it shows your interested, and if you do it correctly why shouldnt you use it ?

My teacher said to me you're not supposed to use them because the admissions officers want to know what you're thinking, not what Einstein, Shakespeare etc are thinking.....

She kind of made out it was like a way for students to evade having to write down original thought, don't know if I agree with that but I didn't put one in so there you are.
Reply 27
I'm with the general consensus on this. Starting anything with a quote is clichéd to the point of being cheesy and at worst can suggest that the author hasn't really thought that much about what they've written and is trying to show off how well read they are*. If you've read enough Adam Smith to risk it coming up in the interview, then by all means mention that you've read his work, but do so directly and to some purpose (such as explicitely covering your having read around the subject or in describing which authors have influenced your own thought).

A quote in a personal statement is nearly as bad as starting an essay with "The Oxford English Dictionary defines X as....".

*just to make it clear, I'm not accusing you of any of this. I'm just saying that's how it can look.
Reply 28
Make sure it stands out i guess. I read through most of my classes personal statements, even though i probably wasnt meant to, and most of them were boring. One that did stand out, though the kid didnt do to well, was the opening statement "I feel as though the wine has hit me tonight at just the right spot. My artistic arm is once again alive...." etc etc
Reply 29
No, don't do it :no:
thomaskurian89
I don't get it. Why should a catchy quote/opening line be boring?

Because it's a personal statement NOT an essay or a newspaper article.

You aren't being marked on how boring your statement is - you're being given a chance to sell yourself (and not your quote picking abilities) to an admissions tutor.
Reply 31
Quotes at the start of personal statements make me retch.

The Lyceum
Start with an insult, that would shock and suprise them.

Yes.

"Hey you, you four-eyed ****. Yes, you, the dithering old **** reading my personal statement. Now I have your attention..."
eulerwaswrong

Well, think about it a bit more. It shows you can google - and nothing much else really. Does it tell the admissions tutor anything positive about you than that? Unlikely.

What might it tell the admissions tutor? That you can't be original? Maybe. That you know how to drop names? Yes. That you don't understand how damaging cliches can be? Yes. That you know what the admissions tutor is looking for? Probably not. Are these positive aspects of your application? I don't think so.
rye225
I'm starting my Economics Personal Statement and I was wondering if I could start it with a quote, such as Adam Smith. Would this bore the person reading or do you think its a good idea. I think the usual is just boring.

The University of Manchester said this is not a good idea idea at all as it isn't original. Why waste space on your personal statement writing someone elses quote, when you could write more about yourself. The universities want to know about you ....!!!
pipkinlove
My teacher said to me you're not supposed to use them because the admissions officers want to know what you're thinking, not what Einstein, Shakespeare etc are thinking.....

She kind of made out it was like a way for students to evade having to write down original thought, don't know if I agree with that but I didn't put one in so there you are.

but if you pick a quote - and say what it means to you - and what this means to your love of your subject. Sure you arent going to completely agree with the statement - saying i am exactly like this person therefore give me an offer.

You will obviously expand on the original quote - and offer your unique insight or whatever.

My dads a teacher and a couple of years ago he had this boy who applied for maths. His entire personal statement was a proof of a problem. Then the final line was "this is number" - he got and offer from cambridge - and ended up going there. He had nothing at all to with him in it - just stuff about his subject - i know its a bit different to a quote - but im arguing you dont need to chuck in loads of crap about sports clubs etc - wouldnt it be better to talk about topics/people in your subject who particularly inspire you/have opinions on those people
PQ
you really think that's selling yourself?:s-smilie:

well I don't know!

Right, how do you sell yourself in your PS then? Give me some example sentences.
Reply 36
ok
if you still need an idvise-i started mine with a quote and had 2 more in it
i was accepted in all 5 of my choices(leicester,loughborough leeds,london met and Birmingham) all at the top of the charts for what i wanted-Communications and media

so it's on you
i want to be different that's why i did it
by the posts here i see that obviously i WAS different since everyone's advising you not to quote
good luck

:smile:
Good bloke
Well, think about it a bit more. It shows you can google - and nothing much else really. Does it tell the admissions tutor anything positive about you than that? Unlikely.

What might it tell the admissions tutor? That you can't be original? Maybe. That you know how to drop names? Yes. That you don't understand how damaging cliches can be? Yes. That you know what the admissions tutor is looking for? Probably not. Are these positive aspects of your application? I don't think so.

what if you pick an obscure quote - one that means something to you - the quote will only take up a line, but your opinions on it will take up many. By using a quote +opinions it shows that you read about your subjects and hold opinions - i think this is way more important that how many football clubs you play for
im so academic
well I don't know!

Right, how do you sell yourself in your PS then? Give me some example sentences.

:goaway:
Reply 39
I think it might be seen as a little pretentious. It's a personal statement, after all.

Quick Reply

Latest