The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Recommended Mobile Phone Network?

Hey, I'm coming up to Edinburgh this September :] I am currently on O2 pay as you go as it gives me enough texts and minutes for friends, plus most of the time I use my house phone, but I am planning to get contract as this im guessing will be cheaper seeing as i wont have a house phone anymore and the communication with the parents/friends from london etc might be needed.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any networks that DONT work well in edinburgh, like lack of reception or whatever? Or if you know any networks which work really well?

(apologies if this sounds like a stupid question)
Reply 1
02 is the best network for signal in the UK mate, it's also quite expensive though. But I'd say stick with them.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
jeez your talking like your heading off to kazakhstan lol Edinburgh is a major city you know! All networks work perfect its just a matter of which one is gonna give you better price based on how much you will use it.
Reply 3
hahahaa thanks, btw do you know how well the network 3 works? (and o2 is very expensive sldkjfsdf when it comes to landline callings etc which is why im thinking of changing)
Reply 4
im sure 3 works as well as any other network, best thing will be to buy your phone from a shop when you actually get to edinburgh, that way you can be 100% sure lol
loveness
btw do you know how well the network 3 works?

Obviously across town all networks are fine. 3 are fairly good. O2 isn't particularly brilliant in some of the residences (well most networks are disturbed in the residences, no idea why, but O2 was worse than most or so people I know seemed to find) Personally I'd say orange are a good bet for decent contracts and good Edinburgh signal. But in all honesty any network'll be OK. If you're really bothered try using the signal searcher function on possible networks' websites for the post code of where you'll be living and various areas in the university.
Reply 6
Just as a suggestion - have you discovered Skype? www.skype.com

It works from the computer with a microphone/webcam, and calling other computers is free. The rates for calling landlines are ridiculously cheap $0.024 so, about 1.3p per min for landlines, or $0.291 for mobiles (about 15p per minute). It works like pay as you go, and lasts for 180 days after the last use (so if you make just a one minute phone call on day 179, you keep it for another 180 days).

I find it's great for ringing home, as if someone is online, I can ring the computer, or if not, I just ring the home phone. Much cheaper than phone calls. If you have your own computer with a microphone/webcam, you might want to consider this?
Reply 7
Thanks kamie, I might look into this and to the rest of you merci for reassuring my "worries" :]
I live in edinburgh and i'm using orange, which i have to say isn't very reliable when it comes to having signal (but i guess orange wednesdays make up for it.... lol)
morethanstars
I live in edinburgh and i'm using orange, which i have to say isn't very reliable when it comes to having signal (but i guess orange wednesdays make up for it.... lol)

I find Orange perfectly adequate, and they're far better than 3 were in my current flat.
Reply 10
I use three and can't fault them for signal anywhere I may end up in edinburgh. And the customer service is good aswell

Latest

Trending

Trending