Double Science
French

Other options:
Spanish
Ancient Greek
Geography
Russian
Italian

I would like to do something like Economics, History, French and German (AS), With maybe chemistry (AS)
I want to go to Oxford to study Law.
Should I change one of them?
With the art I thought that I was doing lots of academic subjects already so art would be a good break in the timetable?? Also, the art department is really slack about everything, you go round eating biscuits, listening to your ipod and drinkning tea, BLISS
Not to mention a load of doss teachers, who walk around being all arty and encouraging :biggrin:
What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

oh, btw thanks in advance x
Reply 2
Just a word of warning; as doss and fun as Art may seem you're going to have to put in a hell of a lot of work to get an A/A*, so just be prepared for it.
according to people i know that did it, art is a big workload. just letting you know. your options are fine :yep:
Reply 4
If you can do Russian I'd do that, it's such a great language. Wish I had the opportunity. :frown:
Reply 5
they are fine
geminibubblegum
I chose
History
Latin
German
Art

Compulsory:
English
English lit
Maths (IGCSE)
Double Science
French

Other options:
Spanish
Ancient Greek
Geography
Russian
Italian

I would like to do something like Economics, History, French and German (AS), With maybe chemistry (AS)
With the art I thought that I was doing lots of academic subjects already so art would be a good break in the timetable?? Also, the art department is really slack about everything, you go round eating biscuits, listening to your ipod and drinkning tea, BLISS
Not to mention a load of doss teachers, who walk around being all arty and encouraging :biggrin:
What do you think?

Yeah, they're good choices, but if you're just choosing Art to doss around, it's probably not worth it, unless you know you're super-duper anyway and reckon you're guarenteed a big mark without trying anyway!
As i say don't just do a subject to doss around in (in my opinion), do something worthwhile, that is also considered as a bit easier....
Damn, I thought I was the youngest member :p:

And yeah they seem like fine choices.

Wow you have planned it all out already!
Reply 8
Brilliant choices ! Although, if Classics was an option... :/
Reply 9
ICT? Otherwise you have to do key skills until your 18 i think... and also i've heard Art is really difficult and time consuming and most people who did it spent most of their time at home or at school completing work!
If you can't keep up with the work in Art, then there's really no point in taking it if you really want to go to Oxford to study Law.

I think Geography is a pretty good choice, it's an excellent social science and can tell you about places around the world, about people and why things occurs. Probably more useful than Art will be at least :P.
Reply 11
if you are naturally talented at art and have determination to do well - take it.
If not, I wouldn't despite it being seem as a 'doss', your results could be marred by a bad grade, take geography instead; you are already doing 3 languages, any more could be confusing.
Good luck with your GCSE's, congratulations for being so focussed at a young age as well, not many people are. :smile:
Don't take art if you want to doss.
I did hardly any work for two years and when I was told I had E grade coursework, I worked 5 hours a day at home, 1 hour after school 3 days a week, and my 2/3 hours a week in school for 4 weeks just to scrape a C grade.
really? the problem is at my school.. yhey don't teach the art 'gcse' they teach an equivalent.. you get a pass. merit or distinction.. (distinction A*, merit A, pass B :biggrin:) I would do geography but a succession of terrible teachers kinda killed it for me :wink:
My school's private so it doesn't offer IT.. and I don't have to do key skills anyway.. it's quite a shame we can't do food tech, I really want to draw a picture of a tuna sandwich for homework (which is what one of my friends had to do). We're to get 10 a* or at least 10 a*/a so I thought if i could get myself a merit in art it would be OK!
Reply 14
Nobody cares about specific GCSEs, just take ones that a) you think you'll take at A-Level, and b) You will get a good grade in.
Jessikar
ICT? Otherwise you have to do key skills until your 18 i think... and also i've heard Art is really difficult and time consuming and most people who did it spent most of their time at home or at school completing work!

completely unrelated to the thread, but i love your sig! spartan is hot stuff on gladiators! one of the two reasons i watch it, other than i love the show too!

to the OP, your choices are fine, but realise that yes the art department may eat biscuits and listen to ipods, but they do actually work while doing so! but i imagine you're probably taking it because you have an artistic talent. don't take it if you can't draw! will be a nice creative break from academia too
Reply 16
geminibubblegum
I chose
History
Latin
German
Art

Compulsory:
English
English lit
Maths (IGCSE)
Double Science
French

Other options:
Spanish
Ancient Greek
Geography
Russian
Italian

What do you think?

History = lots of revising and i hated the coursework but it is interesting
Latin= AWESOME SUBJECT you're gonna love it,. tincy warning, this was my biggest revision subject before the gcse (try learning all the set texts off by hard, contextual history, literary terms etc (and thts just for 2 /4 papers) then you've got a huge amount of vocab , grammar, AND roman life (for my option anyway) but it's a relly really really ace course (if it doesn't slightly take over your life) I'm taking A level so it can't be that bad :wink:
German= can't really comment however I am starting a GCSE in the subject alongside my A levels and I do think it's a great language and languages are awesome to to have especailly for oxbridge. latin and german grammar (i'm told) are similar
Art= never took this but almost did. i'm told its A LOT of work. the lessons may be a break but the work you'll have to do outside school is supposed to be horrific.none of the people who did art slept the nights before coursework was due in and you have 2 days of art exams. also you need 98% to get an A*
but if you enjoy it, go for it. :smile:

good luck!!

:smile:
Reply 17
Good choices, but be prepared Art is very very time consuming. I think I took Art for exactly the same reasons as you- and hated it!!!! I wish to god now that I had taken something more worthwhile like French or German. I also thought Art would be a doss, it turned out to be the subject I had to work most in, I filled 1.5 A3 size sketchbooks, and who knows what else. Even then I found out last week, I have only just scraped a C. I wouldnt say my Art work was of great quality but i was told I could put a bit more work in and get an A or a B. How Id put any more work in IDK lol but i just got too fed up with it in the end.
Not to mention how much normal class time you miss when you do them horrible 10 hour exams!!!
My message is...... if you think Arts a doss... and you want a good high A/A* grade in it... but it being a doss at the same time.... dont take it!!

Good luck with whatever you do x
Reply 18
I'd say great choice but be prepared for Art - i didn't do it, but people who did worked so hard on it, it took up most of their time, and it's difficult to get a high grade without putting loads of effort into it, even if you're naturally talented, it definitely isn't a doss subject.
Art is hard work, but by god its worth it!

Latest