Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I take a sleeping pill with antibiotics?

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am suffering from a severe chest infection which has resulted in several sleepless, coughing, spluttering nights. I went to my doctor today who prescribed me antibiotics but I stupidly forgot to ask her if I could take a sleeping pill (or maybe even just some night nurse) before I went to bed. Is it a bit too risky?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I am suffering from a severe chest infection which has resulted in several sleepless, coughing, spluttering nights. I went to my doctor today who prescribed me antibiotics but I stupidly forgot to ask her if I could take a sleeping pill (or maybe even just some night nurse) before I went to bed. Is it a bit too risky?
    what antibiotic is it?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium)
    what antibiotic is it?
    Amoxicillin. They're quite powerful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Amoxicillin. They're quite powerful.
    Well, don't take my following statement as an attempt to belittle the importance of taking all drugs seriously, but Amoxicillin is a relatively safe AB

Ok, what sleeping aid/pills are you taking? i.e. what is their active ingredient(s)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some sleeping tablets cause a degree of respiratory depression. If you already have a respiratory problem that could be a real problem. So don't take sleeping tablets without speaking to a doctor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any interactions with amoxicillin and sleeping tablets. Amoxicillin is a pretty commonly-prescribed antibiotic, and I'm coincidentally on it now; my patient information leaflet doesn't say anything about sleeping tablets either. Of course, you'd have to ask a pharmacist for a definitive answer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My concern isn't the amoxicillin, it's the "severe chest infection" the OP has. Respiratory depression is a contra-indication to the use of many sleeping tablets.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    correct me if im wrong but would 'severe chest infection' not be more along the lines of pneumonia and in hospital?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    NHS Direct will know. Please call them rather than consulting teenagers on a forum. xD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to pm me if you want any advice about mixing medicines in future. I'm going to university next year!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mja)
    My concern isn't the amoxicillin, it's the "severe chest infection" the OP has. Respiratory depression is a contra-indication to the use of many sleeping tablets.
    True. I buy sleeping tablets fairly often (I shouldn't, I know), but they always ask me if I have asthma every time I get them.

I wouldn't use the sleeping tablets, on the safe side. The tablets slow down your breathing and on top of a respiratory infection that could be pretty bad.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it's a benzodiazepine, I wouldn't recommend it. If it's a sleeping aid, and not a tranquillizer, it won't do any harm. Your AB is wide spectrum and not very strong anyways, I wouldn't worry about it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    True. I buy sleeping tablets fairly often (I shouldn't, I know), but they always ask me if I have asthma every time I get them.

I wouldn't use the sleeping tablets, on the safe side. The tablets slow down your breathing and on top of a respiratory infection that could be pretty bad.
    OTC sleeping aids? They do close to nothing.

The only think the OP should worry about is something strong like a benzodiazepine/other tranquilliser, especially with anything stronger than bromazepam.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    OTC sleeping aids? They do close to nothing.

The only think the OP should worry about is something strong like a benzodiazepine/other tranquilliser, especially with anything stronger than bromazepam.
    Hmm, maybe. I don't think they'd be enough to do anything severe to the OP (the otc pills) but it might cause more discomfort etc.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmzy)
    correct me if im wrong but would 'severe chest infection' not be more along the lines of pneumonia and in hospital?!
    Not necessarily - if they're well enough and have good enough care at home, there's no need to admit them. I had pneumonia when I was younger and was never admitted. As a young person you'd have to be pretty knocked out to end up in hospital unless there were other co-morbidities.

As for the drugs, read the leaflets and see what you can find.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it's just some night nurse or nytol it's fine.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mja)
    Some sleeping tablets cause a degree of respiratory depression. If you already have a respiratory problem that could be a real problem. So don't take sleeping tablets without speaking to a doctor.
    Which ones?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spotty Dog)
    NHS Direct will know. Please call them rather than consulting teenagers on a forum. xD
    NHS redirect, might know, but they will not give that information over the phone.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmzy)
    Either way, a severe chest infection would not be on amoxycillin.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    NHS redirect, might know, but they will not give that information over the phone.
    I've had this sort of advice from NHS Direct several times. o.o; "Can I take x with y while I've got ____" and I always get an answer. o.o;

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 25, 2010
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.