The Student Room Group

Understanding Law- Book Making Me Feel Dumb?

Basically Im in year 12 (year 13 in a few days) so I went out and bought some books on law to prepare me for next year with applications and interviews. One of them was Understanding Law by John N. Adams , Roger Brownsword. Now the book is interesting -in fact i find the parts that I understanding almost thrilling but thing is there is alot that I do not understand. I mean the language is complex but that was to be expected. Now my questions is: has anyone read this book and had the same problem? What should I be trying to get out of these books?
Thanks
It's great that you're getting your nose into some legal books. At this stage, you don't need to be learning anything about the substantive law. There's no point in memorizing the elements of estoppel, or in learning the criteria for provocation as a defense to murder.

I'd suggest asking yourself these questions:

Does the law make sense to you? Does it seem rational or arbitrary?

Do the structures created by the law (e.g. civil vs criminal, domestic vs international) have any relevance to your experience of life? Or have you always thought that something was just legal or illegal, in those simple terms?

Can you begin to think about the way that the law controls (or fails to control) things that happen in your daily life?

Are your assumptions about the structure of the legal system (judges are independent, Parliament is the most powerful part of the UK government) valid, or do things seem more complex?

The reading that you're doing now should prepare you to ask questions, not to give answers.

Latest

Trending

Trending